Next time, start at the end
  • I'm making a promise, and I'd like to see other wannabe-composers like me make it, too.

Next time I'm starting a project with the propers, or other work related to the liturgical calendar, I'm starting at Christ the King and working backwards.

It seems that whenever anyone starts a project like this, they start with Advent and go forwards. Naturally, this is the most logical way to approach a project like this.

The end result is almost inevitably that we have, oh, about a million different resources for Advent, and none for the 28th Sunday in Ordinary Time. The projects either die off, or they're not complete yet, or they are only specific to the non-OT seasons.

We need more resources for Ordinary Time!
  • Speaking as a parish musician, this is true, and you end up scratching your head if you don't want to use Haugen, et al...

Kenneth
  • francis
    There are complete cycles out there. They are not new in terms of this decade, but they exist. The Sarum settings come to mind.

http://musicasacra.com/music/english-propers/
  • BenBen
    [shameless website plug]

And when you do finish, make sure to let me know so I can add it to my list of propers resources HERE!
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • kenstb
    Francis, are you composing anything that we might be interested in?
  • kenstb
    Andrew, I sympathize completely. One of the problems that a composer would run into is the fact that a complete set of propers is a pretty large undertaking and sometimes our schedules and deadlines prohibit continuous attention to it.
  • francis
    kenstb

To be absolutely honest with you, I am not supporting, promoting or encouraging the NO in any way, especially not musically and creating a bigger divide between the NO and the TLM. I personally compose music for the universal, timeless Latin Mass, (in Latin). Therfore, I am not lifting pen nor mouse to feed the coal box of a runaway train which is headed for an even greater catastrophe than it has already spawned.

A timely post by Fr. Z:

http://wdtprs.com/blog/2014/08/guest-post-i-celebrated-the-latin-mass-before-todays-exorcism/
  • Andrew - Brilliant! I'm with you 100%. Work backwards. This is something I have to remind myself to do in other projects as well.
  • except. you might be just composing enough to keep a few weeks ahead of yourself, and well, time runs forward, I've noticed. :-)
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • I was able to start three weeks before Lent on A Catholic Organist's Book of Hymns and kept just enough ahead so the organists downloading were able to have at least 3 weeks before each church feast....made a big push and got the entire Liturgical year done a week ago, formatted and published and available on the site and AMAZON.COM as a printed book....126 Chorale Preludes and 3 Part (playable) hymns later.

Having a deadline can definitely help to get things done, can't it?

Before I forget, be sure to let Ben Yanke know about these projects to add to his list!
    Thanked by 2SrEleanor JulieColl
  • matthewjmatthewj
    http://www.illuminarepublications.com

No matter what resource you typically use... this one has everything.

Order a Simple Gradual today.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Matthew, why are you pushing Illuminare instead your own Recto Tono Propers?
    Thanked by 3Kathy irishtenor Gavin
  • Andrew - I use your communios frequently! I hope you keep composing!
  • I've been meaning to do more; 6 month-old has other plans.
    Thanked by 2BruceL lmassery
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Seconding @lmassery -- I really like your Communion antiphons, and would love to see you do some offertories. That would be a big improvement over what most of us do at offertory, I'm sure!
    Thanked by 2SrEleanor lmassery
  • Yes offertories please!