Wedding/Funeral Ordinary?
  • What do folks here plan as music for the Ordinary at wedding or funeral Masses?

I would prefer to avoid the Mass of Creation if possible … but I suspect few places are bothering with the ICEL chants.
  • … also, this presumes an OF Mass in English.
  • … and also, what do you do about a responsorial psalm?
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    We don't have one "go to" for these. A lot of times it's what we are doing seasonally - or Mass for Christian Unity.

For a psalm we use one of the wedding or funeral psalms, usually a Gelineau setting.
  • CharlesW
    We use the ICEL chants for both.
    Thanked by 1Felipe Gasper
  • Charles: Do you have an amplified cantor?
  • CharlesW
    NO! We have a horned soprano. LOL. She doesn't need amplification. I should mention that the congregation knows the ICEL chants thoroughly, since we use them on most Sundays.
  • Ah, ok … so a cantor nonetheless.

That could work for us; it just means that without anyone else it would be sung a cappella. Not the worst thing.
  • CharlesW
    For funerals, we usually have a small "funeral choir" of 10 or so people. We are in a reverberant space with high ceilings and all hard surfaces. Sound carries well, whether singers or organ.
  • I’ve actually not played a funeral yet in my new parish. We get a lot of weddings, though, because the church is downtown and very pretty.
  • CharlesW
    Same here on the weddings. I contract out many of them to another organist since I don't need the money or the hassle. LOL.
  • Wait, you have ~10 people who come in sing for weddings? (That’s pretty cool!)
  • CharlesW
    Ten people for funerals. Generally there is only one cantor for weddings.
  • Mass XVIII or ICEL for Funerals,
    Mass VIII or ICEL for Weddings,
    GR Gradual or GS Responsorial (or BFW)
  • One surprising problem I have is that our pew Missalettes do NOT have the ICEL setting. Heh, they have the “Jubilate Deo” setting, though …
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Really? I thought they were required to...
  • Spriggo
    We use the ICEL chants for both.
  • Aaron
    For weddings I use the Proulx Community Mass do to its familiarity with most Catholics in the US. For funerals I use whatever is the current setting being used for weekend Masses here but use the chanted Agnus Dei.