How to select chants for a wedding
  • How do I figure out which chants to select from the Liber or Graduale (Romanum, Simplex, etc.) for a wedding Mass, since there's not one that's specified? Am I looking in the wrong source for the music?

My background isn't Catholic, although I work in a Catholic church, so it's entirely possible that I don't understand this and I'm looking in the wrong place. At our church we chant the Propers from a variety of sources (Liber, Graduale Romanum, Simple English Propers) and I've encountered the full liturgical cycle; but the wedding question has me stumped.

Thanks for any help you can give.

--Charles
  • In the index (p. 916) of the Graduale Triplex you will find under Missae Rituales the following reference: IV. Pro Sponsis - - - p. 645.

At the bottom of p. 645 you will find the following propers Pro Sponsis (for Holy Matrimony):

INTROIT: Deus in loco, p. 310 (plus two alternatives)
    GRADUAL: Timete Dominum , p. 458 (or Uxor tua, p. 646)
    ALLELUIA: Mittat vobis, p. 646
    OFFERTORY: Immittet angelus Domini, p. 325 (or In te speravi, p. 322)
    COMMUNION: Beati mundo corde, p. 514 (or Primum quaerite, p. 325)

(For any interested parties, I can supply these in English set to the original Gregorian chants, Anglican chant, or psalm-tones.)
  • Actually, look in the ritual Mass seection (Missae Rituales). On page 645 in my version, there is a set "Pro Sponsis." These are the proper Nuptial Mass chants.

EDIT: Ninja'ed by MJO.
    Thanked by 1CharlesStJohns
  • Haha! I suspected it was simply a problem with my Latin. Many thanks for your help.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn