Turning Down Wedding Songs
  • I have a fairly simple question. Does anyone have a good way of stating "No, this song is a disgusting secular piece and should not be used during the Mass of the Sacrament of Marriage!" But possibly in a more diplomatic way...
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • cmbearer
    I would be direct and honest. With the proper diplomatic tone of voice, I think what you have said is fine, save for 'disgusting', but then it's important to offer the couple options of what CAN/SHOULD be used.
  • Kathy
    I've always found it helpful to explain it this way: "We're allowed to use church songs but not radio songs." For some reason people tend to understand and accept that formulation (you never know).
  • I'm working on my own repertoire list; what I intend to do when I finish it is "gently" suggest that couples stick to that list. And as part of an introduction, I want to note that secular songs are generally a bad idea and explain (briefly) why, primarily from a practical perspective. This way, I get to be a bit more proactive, rather than reactive.
  • Jani
    Blame the priest! Actually, make sure you and the priest are on the same page first, then ask him to take the hit, so to speak.
  • ronkrisman
    By all means, make sure you and the priest are on the same page first.

One thing worse than you and the priest not being on the same page is having the engaged couple inform you that you and the priest are not on the same page.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Heck, it's not just "radio songs" anymore....I've heard some Contemporary Christian wedding stuff lately that would "disgust" Michael W. Smith and Amy Grant.
    Gotta have a wedding policies book that's engineered at the parish level and obviously informed with citations from diocesan and ecclesial resources which also includes music "can haves" and why there are some music "can't haves."
    Thanked by 1ronkrisman
  • ghmus7
    I have explained it to couples as: "Music for the wedding Mass must be Sacred, not secular". That is, the words must reflect the nature of the wedding Mass and be sacred in nature". I can't think of it, but I remember a reference to this in the catechism. Most folks can accept this.
    To soften the blow, you can suggest that secular song be sung at the reception. And as a last resort, a prelude before the Mass.
  • rich_enough
    Going on what TimTheEnchanter suggests, by all means have a repertoire list and make it clear that songs are to be chosen from the list.

Since this will inevitably be ignored by some couples, have a written policy in place before meeting with the couple - something like "Secular music is not appropriate for the nuptial mass, which is a sacred celebration" (making sure it's approved by the pastor). That way your explanation to the couple has less of a chance of coming across as just your own opinion or taste, and (hopefully) lessens the need for further explanation.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Don9of11
  • GavinGavin
    "have a written policy in place before meeting with the couple"

This is roughly how I open my meetings with couples. I explain the distinction between appropriate and inappropriate music, and explain that I retain sole competency to make that determination. I've never had someone object.
    Thanked by 2Jani francis
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    That way your explanation to the couple has less of a chance of coming across as just your own opinion or taste, and (hopefully) lessens the need for further explanation.

This is the core of the issue: taste and opinion. Everybody's opinion apparently matters nowadays. Not saying they're not entitled to have one, just that it doesn't always have to be accommodated or even considered. I know that this has been covered many times on this forum, and it should not be discussed fully here, but to illustrate my point: why is it that in some places we're not allowed to do Gregorian Chant (or even the SEP)? Think about it.
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • I know of churches that had a written policy in place, and the pastor decided to do away with the written policy and deal with any problem as it arose. The logic was that if you do not set-up rules, the couple will not try to challenge them. The pastor and musician seem to be on the same page, too.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I don't really have this problem.

Usually, if they have ANY requests, they might say "Can we have [this song from a musical] or no?" I usually say "Well, we can do it before mass as a prelude, not during the mass." If it's something REALLY inappropriate (rare) I say "oh, noooo, sorry, it has to be sacred or at least RELIGIOUS sounding, i.e. inspirational." They usually respond very nicely, saying something like "I figured, but I thought I'd ask."
  • Usually, if they have ANY requests, they might say "Can we have [this song from a musical] or no?" I usually say "Well, we can do it before mass as a prelude, not during the mass."

I don't quite understand this. Whether the music is technically within the Mass or outside, it is still is the church in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament. Why shouldn't all the music honor Him in Whose presence we are, not in any way giving in to the pagan self-centered, self-absorbed culture?

So "Here Comes the Bride" is not technically within the Mass, so it's somehow allowed? ick! The last time my son was asked to play for a wedding and I (acting as his agent) told the bride HCTB was not appropriate in church (and we do have written parish policies on this that "require" sacred music--though that is obviously not enforced) and, while she was on the phone, had my son play some appropriate music that she did like. But, either she didn't like the fee I quoted ($50) or really wanted HCTB, but she called back and said her finance insisted on HCTB so "no thank you for your service". Not sure who they got to play (probably just programmed the synthesizer or else had the "mariachi" band play it), but my son was dismissed.
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • CharlesW
    HCTB is at least 100 years away from the stage of Wagner's day. Most culturally illiterate Catholics today wouldn't know a German opera if they were bitten by it. I could see the ban on it when those operas were newer and more widely performed, but time seems to take the edge off a lot of music inappropriate for church in its day. Notice I didn't say I liked it but it is no worse than Arrival of the Queen of Sheba that seems to show up in so many weddings. Maybe we are straining at gnats.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Let's see, "The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba" is from Handel's Oratorio "Solomon" which at least qualifies, in many quarters, as a religious work.

People may not know which opera the music comes from (or perhaps not know that it comes from an opera at all), but the (1) Overture to Tannhäuser is familiar to many, as is (2) "The Ride of the Valkyries" a.k.a. the Prelude to the Act III of Die Walküre; and (3) many will know the Siegfried Horn Call (here played in a virtuosic performance):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MkMdlfl8Hg

(4) FInally, how many have heard of Parsifal? ... The Prelude to Act I is an ethereal masterpiece, with the chantlike opening them hauntingly beautiful, as well as the use of the Dresden Amen lending an aura of the sacred. And the chorale-like theme after that will sound to some who don't know the opera as almost "Brucknerian" (for those who know Bruckner's symponies). But of course Bruckner was a great admirer of Wagner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQOfIENN2tk

Thanked by 2JulieColl gregp
  • "Here Comes the Bride" is just hackneyed and cheesy. That's reason enough not to use it, regardless of its origins.
  • At least around here, it's very rarely requested anymore.

It's rare that they request anything other than "Ave Maria." If they want the "Wedding Song," or something like that, doing it as a prelude puts it outside of mass, and as long as it's not something in objectively bad taste, is not problematic.
  • CharlesW
    The Purcell which may be Clarke which may be by Lord knows who, is very popular as are other trumpet solo works. Perhaps the musicologists will decide those works were actually written by Edna of Liverpool under an assumed name.
  • MY point was not that HCTB is cheesy, stupid, or of questionable origins. I expect that all music used in church will be God- not people-directed, that all music is chosen recognizing in Whose presence we are. That's the standard I apply to wedding music before, during or after the Mass as it is in the church before the Blessed Sacrament. We don't do many weddings, and fewer than we could given these standards. So be it.
  • CharlesW
    My experience is that it is good to expose the wedding party to all the religion possible. They may never see the inside of a church again. LOL.
  • What music do you (or your son) offer at weddings then, Teachermom24? We're obviously not all using the same rulers to establish whether instrumental pieces are God-directed or people-ward.
  • MY point was not that HCTB is cheesy, stupid, or of questionable origins. I expect that all music used in church will be God- not people-directed, that all music is chosen recognizing in Whose presence we are. That's the standard I apply to wedding music before, during or after the Mass as it is in the church before the Blessed Sacrament. We don't do many weddings, and fewer than we could given these standards. So be it.

Right. So, as you've said, you and your son turn down weddings if they won't agree with your standards.

I'm the director of music at an urban parish; I can't simply abdicate my role of being responsible for the music that is being done in my church and claim that the blood is on another's hands.

So what do you propose that I do? I'm not going to try to hold everyone who comes in to the standards that you've mentioned. Imagine if that was their only experience with the Church!
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • Why ask me what you should do? How would I know? Of course, we all use different "rulers" based on our own judgment of what is and what is not appropriate. As long as it is given to me to draw the line between what is and what is not appropriate, I will. We give the wedding couple a list of music to choose from when we meet before the wedding. The list has many beautiful pieces (beauty being one criterion for selection--another subjective element, of course). Like I said earlier, there are very few weddings at our parish where we've been asked to provide music (three in the last four years). My son is in high school, I am a volunteer at our parish--the food on our table does not depend on playing for weddings. For now, I'm thankful to be able to do what we can to bring sacred music to our parish.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Maybe it's where I live but HCTB is rarely requested and everyone wants Pachelbel's 'Canon in D'. I wish they would choose Wagner because I am tired of destroying what should be a thrilling and virtuosic piece. How on earth did poor Pachelbel ever fall victim to this?? And yes I can play 'Eleanor Rigby' but I don't want to and why do you want this at your wedding?! Journey's 'Dont Stop Believin' for your procession? And you expect us to do our own arrangement? Wagner isnt looking too bad. Sigh...Unfortunately this does put food on my table so I've had to play it all, no matter how bad it is. :-/ And believe me it gets pretty bad, so I'm all in favor of setting standards when and where it's possible.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    How on earth did poor Pachelbel ever fall victim to this?

My best guess, seriously, is that it became a phenomenon due to the Robert Redford film ORDINARY PEOPLE. I believe that there was a wedding scene near the beginning in which a high school choir was singing some arrangement of it. Prior to that association, I can't remember Kanon as being a staple.
  • Oh wow so it actually originated from somewhere...ugh. Well I never miss an opportunity to show how it should be done. Save it for the cocktail hour when you can really let loose!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Jjs36bHd4
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    wouldn't know a German opera if they were bitten by it.

Once the rash sets in, though, they might start to suspect something.
  • CharlesW
    Actually, they are more likely to be gored by soprano horns. ;-)
  • artdob
    A couple of days ago before a wedding I played for yesterday, the music menu arrived. I was taken aback to see Prelude requests that included "With or Without You" by U2 and some other selection by Coldplay - because the groom really likes these songs. Umm, nope, not going to happen, not going to play these. I informed the Music Director of my position - not really caring if there would be any pushback (which thankfully there wasn't). Interestingly, these came from the sister of the pastor whose daughter was being married. Otherwise, a beautiful wedding. And as they used the readings for Sunday January 1, the priest gave a dispensation to all from attending Sunday mass as their obligation has been fulfilled. The New Year's/Wedding party guests were quite pleased.
    Thanked by 2canadash Reval
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    What you should have is an approved parish list of wedding music or a binder of wedding music for your parish that you and your pastor agree upon, that way there are no opportunities for having to say anything.
  • francis
    I always directed them to a website that had a good planning section for weddings including acceptable music.
  • Liam
    Just don't forget the groom's solo "Be Not Afraid" and the bride's following solo "I Don't Know How to Love Him" (alternatively, "I'd Rather Have Jesus").
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • MatthewRoth
    My home parish is open to reasonable requests, so as far as hymns go, it has to be in the Adoremus Hymnal or be discussed between the couple and music director and then approved by the parish priest. I know they have a go–to repetoire of the Ave Maria, Panis Angelicus, etc. to use when nothing is chosen or otherwise requested. It works well. Then you can have people like me who want more complex or less common music… :)
  • francis
    my home parish is open to reasonable requests, so as far as hymns go, it has to be in the Adoremus Hymnal or be discussed between the couple and music director and then approved by the parish priest.
    I think this would appear to be narrow minded in most Catholics opinion, but I think it is reasonable for sure.
  • MatthewRoth
    The same policy applies to funerals. “On Eagle’s Wings” was finally purged, in the best way possible. The director would say, “Well, that’s not in our hymnal, so let me give you some which are similarly themed from which you can choose.” No one objected.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • francis
    MatthewRoth

Yes, we did the same thing. We used WIII and none of the most popular trashy songs were in that hymnal. I simply told them it wasn't in our hymnal and that in order to use it they would have to contact the publisher and pay a royalty. That usually took care of it as no one wanted to pay $25 for one time use of an OCP, GIA or WLP exclusive selection.
  • CharlesW
    I have made peace with "Beagle's Wings" for funerals. That is the only time it is even asked for - usually by relatives who have come from out of town/state for the funeral. It must be more commonly used in other places. It has become so associated with funerals, l am surprised anyone would ask for it for a wedding.
  • MatthewRoth
    Oh, no, I don’t think it was, but it’s the parish policy in action.
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Someone should combine "On Eagles Wings" with "Canon in D", Mendelssohn's "Wedding March" and "Mary Did You Know", so as to create the single most hated-by-sacred-musicians piece, which can then all be conveniently denied inclusion at Mass at once, or at least all suffered through at once.
  • CharlesW
    Priests often look the other way at bad music because they make money from it. I know of a priest who bought and furnished a nice vacation/retirement home from wedding and funeral earnings. His salary was not enough to fund it.
  • Liam
    Charles

How many priests have told you they look the other way *because* of that?
  • Charles,

What other things would these priests allow/require, because they "make money from it"?

Liam's right, though, that you may have joined two points in different space-time continua.

• At a parish where the wedding music is usually appropriate, I received a list from a couple replete with clearly secular music. And this parish gives out a very nice list of music (and requires a "gathering song" separate and apart from [and after] the bridal procession to encourage the congregation to participate in the singing of the Mass). So I checked with the pastoral associate who handles weddings and was told she had approved the secular music because the couple was so nice and attended Mass regularly and the songs had special meaning to them. I asked what about when the next couple asks for secular music...and she just said she'd deal with that then and stick to the parish music list unless she thought an exception OK.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    So the "pastoral associate" is in charge of wedding music? That sounds like they are usurping your role.
  • CharlesW

How many priests have told you they look the other way *because* of that?

In so many words, several. One said, "we won't see them again after the wedding, so make nice and get them out the door." I could go on. I already knew they were paying him handsomely. They told me.

I often wonder if a couple of our posters, both loved and admired, live in the real world where priests don't walk on water. Some of them can be as crass and money-grubbing as anyone else.
  • francis
    Charles

never make peace with a flying dog... clip those winged muts with every opportunity. otherwise there will be doo doo and slobber all over the organ.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Don't get me wrong, Francis. I have known some priests that I am sure are living saints. Some others, let's say the church survives in spite of them, not because of them. As for those weddings, I only play them for close friends, at no charge, and years in between them. So I bring it on myself in those instances. Best to contract them out, if you can do without the money.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • The acceptance of the poor music in church today is not because it is liked by people, but because people are today feel empowered to stand up against what others have deemed correct and right. It's still the 1960's.

And the stand of the church on rules sure doesn't help.
  • Reval
    Although I have hardly played any weddings in the past few years, the song request that did me in was "A Thousand Years". This song was made popular from the "Twilight" movie, so, yes, vampires. It's still a very popular request, I hear from my fellow string players.
    * I should qualify my statement, that this was not for Catholic weddings. Secular-style weddings, usually.
    I also had a bride request the theme from "Pirates of the Caribbean", because seeing that movie had been their first date. I've had a bride request walking down the aisle to "You are my sunshine". I've seen the bridal party recess to a recording of the Star Wars theme (in a mega-church). Some of you are pretty sheltered! : )