"Protest" Hymns, Take Two
  • Well, ahem. I should clarify. This is a call for hymns for an opening rally, and consequent prayerful demonstrations, for our local 40 Days for Life Campaign. Any good ecumenical hymns to use?
  • Liam
    Is it Christian only? Or inclusive of non-Christians?
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Bernadette Farrell's "O God, You Search Me." There is the verse "For you created me and shaped me, gave me life within my mother's womb ..."
  • Faith of our Fathers?
    God of our Fathers?
    (When I think "rally", nothing by Bernadette Farrell pops up on the radar screen).
    Onward Christian Soldiers?
    Turn back O Man, forswear thy foolish ways?
    All my hope on God is founded -- using the memorable tune "Michael"

• JulieCollJulieColl
    Stimson, I'm happy to see you're rallying for a good cause yet again. You're a real trooper. : ) Hope the other demonstration went well.

I'm looking in the Anglican Hymnal 1982 for some ideas. There are a number of great hymns in the "Christian Responsibility" section:

O Spirit of Life, O Spirit of God
    Lord, Make Us Servants of Your Peace
    Father, all loving, who rulest in majesty
    Jesus shall reign
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Chris (how are things in your neck of CA?)- There is a whif of "rally" in Farrell's "God has chosen me" if one doesn't get waylaid by that title. Third verse: "to raise up the voice with no power or choice..." It wouldn't be an inept choice, all things considered.
  • Charles,

My neck of California is grateful that the earthquake in Napa didn't send shockwaves to wake me. Friends were woken.

As to Farrell's piece, I take your point about a rallying intent -- but it's the wrong kind of rally: the "social justice" crowd (for whom this piece was manifestly intended) don't have any patience for treating the unborn as subjects of their very concepts of "social justice".
    In her piece (and in Rory Cooney's, too) the powerless are blacks, women, but not unborn children.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • For those who were wondering -

Yes, the other demonstration went very well. We had a larger turn-out than last year. I interposed the Seven Penitential Psalms with hymns and litanies. The hymns were a big hit with our Protestant friends.
  • Liam, it is open to non-Christians, I should say - I'd imagine the majority will be Catholics and Evangelicals, but this is something that effects all of us.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    In her piece (and in Rory Cooney's, too) the powerless are blacks, women, but not unborn children.

I'm reminded of the most distressing line in any social-justice oriented hymn:
    "To everyone born, a place at the table."

Funny how an emphasis on inclusion betrays such a tragic exclusion.
    Or it would be funny...