Magnificat (3-part)
  • One more possibly finished piece for now; then back to work on some unfinished or unrevised ones. No simple hymnody or 16th-century-like polyphony here, but somehow I found myself writing it anyway. The MP3 rendition is split into two parts, between "timentibus eum" and "Fecit potentiam," because it was taking too long to upload when I tried it as a single file. Any comments appreciated, whether you love it, hate it, ho-hum it, think it needs big or little changes, or whatever.
  • McClamrock,

If your intent was to sound like a cross between Ned Rorem and Herbert Howells or William Walton, you succeeded. If you intended to sound like Gabriel Faure, not so much.
  • None of the above. I'm not familiar with the works of any of these composers. Can you describe any actual qualities of the music that you think are good or bad?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    It's a lovely, lilting melody. I thought it sounded a bit Gaelic, and your surname added to that impression. : )

My maiden name is very similar to yours: Clampitt. The Clampitts hail from County Cork near the Blarney Castle.

• JulieColl wrote:

It's a lovely, lilting melody. I thought it sounded a bit Gaelic, and your surname added to that impression. : )

Thanks! I don't think it's nearly so Gaelic-sounding as my Jesu Dulcis Memoria; see what you think of that one (if you haven't already).

As for my name: Gaelic, yes; Irish, no. My McClamrock ancestors came from Galloway in southwestern Scotland; I'm a convert, and I may be the only Catholic on either side of my family in the last few hundred years at least.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for mentioning your delightful Jesu Dulcis Memoria; I hadn't seen it before. Your music has a very pleasing, spirited, charming quality about it. Do you know of a group who could perform your music and make a CD? I think it might be quite successful since it's an unusual genre---Hibernian/Latin hymns. I'd love to listen to these on a CD with some flute or pipe interludes.
  • Possibly some or all of the members of the Regina Coeli Latin Choir here in Fort Wayne. The choir director's husband is a music producer and has made CDs with children singing chant. I doubt that it would be wise to fill up an entire CD with my compositions alone, but it might work with some of mine and some others. Thanks for the suggestion--I'll see what can be done!
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Wow! Sounds like you may have a winning combination there. Maybe you can intersperse some children's chant with your compositions. Mass V, Missa Magnae Deus potentiae, might complement your music nicely. By the way, I was playing your Magnificat on the piano, and my 12 year old daughter loved it, as did we all. God bless your endeavors!

• . . . or maybe Mass IX, Cum jubilo, which the adult members of the choir have kind of partially learned already. Thanks for the encouragement; I'll try not to let you down too badly.

By the way, if you'd like to see and hear even more of my music, you might take a look at the Kyrie from Mass in Honor of St. Joseph, which no one has commented on yet. :o)