Seasonal metrical hymn propers
  • PeterJ
    Several years ago (and I think this was probably before Kathy started her own excellent project on the Introit antiphons), I put together a little collection of seasonal metrical hymns based on the antiphon & psalm texts prescribed in the Graduale Simplex for the Entrance and Offertory (and some of the Communios). I also supplemented these texts with some additional bits and pieces - the occasional hymn based on the Proper from the Graduale Romanum or sometimes the Roman Missal antiphon text. (A bit of a mix, I know, but I was experimenting.)

I came across them the other day. They are not doing a great deal of good just sitting in my hard drive so I thought it worth sharing in case they are of use to anybody.

I got as far as Advent and most of the Christmas season. The hymns usually run to 3 or 4 verses, and are generally penned by yours truly, but where I have used material by others (usually from the Scottish Psalter) I have referenced it.

My favourites are probably 6 (or 7 to "Love Unknown") and 12.

Thoughts welcome.
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen
  • PeterJ
    For those who might have an interest in metrical psalms for use more generally, you may possibly be interested in: 5 & 7 (Ps 24), 11 (Ps 84), 12 (Ps 2), 13 (Ps 96).
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • hartleymartin
    I have Old Hundreth "All People That on Earth Do Dwell" on my regular rotation of entrance hymns. I'm planning on adding "O God Our Help In Ages Past" both are based on Psalm texts.

Not the ideal, I know, but it's a step closer than singing songs about Gathering the people like so many places have taken to.
  • PeterJ
    hartleymartin - snap! I do the same thing. Love that hymn. And I also hate "Gathering Songs" that are all about us and not in the least directed towards the Lord - such hymns can have virtually no devotional value. I get particularly upset when I visit a church and find there's a perfectly good choir singing such drivel when they would be perfectly capable of singing a simple setting of the Propers of the Mass. I know many people on this forum will feel the same way. But that's by the by.

On the hymn front, I also find - as perhaps you do too - that "The Lord's my shepherd" (Scottish Psalter) to Crimond or Bro James' Air work extremely well, and is much loved by congregations. I think the words are stunning - with this psalm, I'm amazed by how the author managed to be so incredibly accurate (more accurate than the 1960's Grail translation perhaps?), with such economy and yet with a certain lightness of touch, and get the translation into metrical form. I think the translator/poet must have had a great devotion to the Word of God.

Anyhow, my own little attempts from several years ago are not in the same league, but I have shared them in the hope they may have some merit / usefulness (e.g. if anyone is looking for some material to include in a Mass booklet or whatever - please use freely). As I say, any comments welcome (either on the thread or messaged to me directly).
  • bonniebede
    thank you. This sort of thing is very useful.