Hymn tune introit based on "Let There Be Peace On Earth"
  • chonakchonak
    This discussion was created from comments split from: DA PACEM DOMINE - Ryan Dingess.
  • rob
    As luck would have it, I'm working on something of a far lower order, but for which I'd still much appreciate a "gut check."

Having been counseled, more than once, to attend more closely to the provenance of a tune, I wonder if -- before I go any further -- there might be some legitimate appropriation of the Millers; "Let There Be Peace On Earth."

(Please understand this would be in the nature of a "Hymn Tune Introit," given the particuliar circumstances of our Parish.)

1. Da Pa-cem Do-mi-ne,
    To th-ose who trust in You.
    Da Pa-cem Do-mi-ne,
    To all those who wait for You.

2. O hear the prayers of Your servant,
    And of all Is-ra-el;
    Let us walk as one people,
    Your glory forth to tell.

3. Da Pa-cem Do-mi-ne,
    To th-ose who trust in You.
    Da Pa-cem Do-mi-ne,
    To all those who wait for You:

4. I re-joic'd when I heard them say,
    "Let us go the House of the Lord."
    Da Pa-cem Do-mi-ne,
    To all those who wait for You.
  • chonakchonak
    I'm not a fan of this tune, but you've got an interesting idea.

The refrain (part 1 / part 3) is simple enough for a congregation to sing, while the remainder of the song, with varying numbers of syllables per line, would need a soloist.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Rob,

I'm not sure how you feel about this, but personally I'm not in favor. But it's not a problem for either of us because it is not permitted to do this.

You'd need permission from the copyright holder for the music and the text before doing this - in fact, you are required by law to seek and get their permission prior to doing an arrangement.

No one should count on permission for any project - the Methodist church learned that when they began, and it spread like wildfire, singing rhe tune Edelweiss.

See Legal Matters.

My lack of excitement is due to the over-schmatlziness of the tune and harmonies - the generation that liked this is on its last legs, to be followed shortly by those who love Be not Afraid.

I have to admit that at times I have thought that it would be useful to do the Prayer of St. Francis in chant. But then reality set in and I ignored the urge.

You've got a good heart and the sense to ask for a gut check...thanks for consulting us!
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen
  • rob
    Truly, thanks!
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • A common problem with music in 3/4 time, like "Let There Be Peace on Earth," is that it tends to sound too "waltzy" for liturgical use. There's a version of Ave Maris Stella that has the same problem, which is why I didn't recommend that our choir sing it. Cardinal Newman's "Praise to the Holiest in the Height," with music by R.H. Terry, is in 3/4 time and yet somehow avoids sounding waltzy, but it's exceptional.

However . . . that music, unlike "Let There Be Peace on Earth," is in the public domain, and it wouldn't sound too bad with "Da Pacem Domine" set to it. Want to give it a try?
  • rob
    I'll confess that the only reason I picked this tune was that some of our elderly parishioners seem to have formed an attachment to it their youth and I hoped to update the text to make it more appropriate for liturgical use.

I like your idea, but I'd be nervous about tinkering with a tune and text which can stand on their own.
  • I thought this was intended as a parody. Having written one myself, I thought I recognized some parts.

Thanked by 1Gavin
  • You could submit your new verses to publishers...let them battle out the copyrights, it might sell!
  • CharlesW
    St. Francis never saw or heard that prayer that is wrongly attributed to him. You need a German beer hall band for it and a horned soprano who can screech out the high notes near the end.
  • Chris Garton-Zavesky wrote:

I thought this was intended as a parody. Having written one myself, I thought I recognized some parts.

Oh, dear, no! Now, this is a parody (of "They'll Know We Are Christians by Our Love"):

We'll repeat the same music, we'll repeat the same words;
    We'll repeat the same music, we'll repeat the same words.
    We'll compel the conclusion that our brains are for the birds.
    They won't know we're musicians by our song, by our song;
    They won't know we're musicians by our song
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Tempo markings would REALLY help in hymns.