Chant and Polyphony alternating in a Credo
  • gregpgregp
    I'm thinking ahead to the Christmas season, and our schola will probably never have the time to sing an entire polyphonic Credo, but I'm wondering if somewhere there exists a setting of the "et incarnatus est de Spiritu Sancto, ex Maria Virgine, et homo factus est", for SAB or SATB, that would fit it with one of the 'standard' chanted Credos.

Anyone ever do something like that?
  • BenBen
    Anyone know which one the Vatican uses with credo III?
  • SalieriSalieri
    Whatever Don Massimo Palombella writes.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Here's the Credo III sung at the Vatican, Epiphany of the Lord 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t47OXcVtiCU
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    And Credo III from Westminster Cathedral, Christmas 2001:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp26p6t9uZ8
  • I believe that JeffO had the Allegri set that way...or was it an Agnus Dei?
  • Kathy
    It's not Msgr. Palombella's, iirc.
  • The Domenico Bartolucci settings are quite beautiful. You can "friend" the Bartolucci Foundation on Facebook and gain access to the website that provides a catalogue of the published works that are available for purchase.
    Thanked by 1gregp
  • I have also heard/conducted chant Credos with polyphony for 'Et incarnatus' drawn from a through-composed setting. At my last parish, we always sang a fauxbourdon setting of these words, with the congregation still singing the chant itself.
    Thanked by 2gregp Gavin
  • Oh. Forgotten I had done this. Never sang it, would have gotten me fired much, much faster. I bet CharlesW could get away with it now...he'll know why.
  • lautzef
    Why not just find a polyphonic Credo (that's already written) in the right mode and lift the section you want? (Of course, it helps to have a good music library somewhere close by.) There are quite a lot of Renaissance masses which are easy to sing and lend themselves to this. We sing a number of different Credos for Solemn High masses which we have edited into alternatim pieces, and they are long enough but not so long that they impede the flow of the liturgy. This would probably shock early music purists, but this is not for a concert or a graduate seminar, it is for a mass. There is actually a stand-alone "Incarnatus est" all by itself in the complete works of Estevao de Brito in Portugaliae Musicae in Mode I which was obviously written for exactly what you are talking about. We have used that when singing Credo I and it fits in perfectly.