Invitation to join in a lobbying crusade
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I've posted a couple of articles over at the Chant Cafe outlining a strategy for persuading publishers to look beyond their own internal editorial and economic needs when deciding content for their subscription pulp missal products.
    I can well imagine there might be "pushback" from within our own constituencies and cohort towards working "with" what many consider our adversaries. But, on the other hand, many of us will be likely dealing with the compromised ideals of a popular hymnal product for years and likely decades.
    If you are currently laboring thusly and you can't see any immediate exit signs, then why remain inert? Consider this proposal I offer, and consider whether if enough folks make "contact," some significant measure of change might just result. Pax,
    Charles in CA
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I replied to your most recent article ... only I got the message that my post must be approved by site admins at the Cafe. Is this new policy? Unfortunately, the blogware (or whatever it is) took my post and "ate it" ... not leaving me with even a copy of what I had written (which I would have sent to you or posted here, instead).

Just to let you know, I didn't understand a very long sentence(? not sure it was a sentence) that began "As a Director of Music ..." - and so I recommended that you write shorter, more concise sentences.

Also, I approved of your list of items to be eliminated.

But I can't recall just how I said all those things. Sorry. Maybe I won't bother to comment at the Cafe anymore. It's not worth getting hit in the face with a previously unknown editorial policy that yanks a person's comments out of their hands under the guise of requiring some sort of "approval" ... previously not the case, and not previously announced (as far as I can tell).

Okay ... rant mode off.
  • In charity and clarity, let your thoughts be known.
    More power to you, Charles- go for it!!
  • chonakchonak
    Hi, CHG:

The comment got held up by the anti-spam system on Café, and alas, it never explains to you or me why it treats a comment as suspect. Sorry for the inconvenience, really. I hope you won't be too put off by it.

Now I have to go and delete 23 fake forum account applications by Chinese spammers.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Chuck, as RC just indicated, I don't have editor capability here or at Cafe. I have heard the sentiments about my verbiage from RC, MACW and KP quite a bit, along with many, many other folk whom I respect and trust, and do take them to mind and heart, and do try to be as concise and clear as I can.
    But at some point, folks should consider just letting other folks express themselves with idiosyncracies, idiocies and elusiveness in tact, as artistic folk are prone to be.
    In time, culture seems to recognize and accept that Bosch and Vermeer are both true artists, that Brunelleschi and Gaudi were genius architects of cathedrals, that Emily Dickinson and ee cummings are both valid and maybe complimentary.
    Yet I will try to continue to be as cogent and concise as I can. I just don't react well to tyranny in matters of thought.
  • CharlesW
    Rage against the machine! ;-)
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    I'd be willing to do this with you. Many of the parishes in my area subscribe to the OCP Music Issue, and if better material were to be found in there, it would encourage the hands of DMs and Pastors to use it.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Melofluent, if it is of any comfort to you, or to any others here or abroad, I usually understand what you are driving at despite what may appear to many people, indeed, most, perhaps, to be an excess of verbiage which seems, to me anyway, to hearken back to the noble writers of yore, and, if I may say, indeed I must say, it is a style of which AWN Pugin would, I'm most sure, be eminently pleased with, since it contains many aspects of syntax not dissimilar to his own style.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    That was sweet and fun, Salieri. Whether serious or in jest, you've ID'd my peculiar affection for vocabulary. But the problem with this style is that, if nothing else, it seems to many folk very self-referential. That takes them from the intended focus to having to deal with my self. Nobody needs that. We are trying to help other people accept new vistas and challenges, so any distractions can seem and be irritants in those processes.
    So, let us hope that we can pass by the medium and get the message and act upon it, if we so choose.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    It was seriously jestul! But your idea is a good one - I think the publishers need to hear from the people about their product, I think in many cases they probably presume that since the haven't heard anything negative then everyone is pleased with their product. And OCP, might well be receptive to some suggestions for change in repertoire in their books, what with +Sample at the helm now, and all.
    Thanked by 1melofluent