Antiphons for daily Mass
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    I'm looking for a free on-line source, e-book, or a pdf that has the musical settings for the entrance and communion antiphons for daily Mass; any help is greatly appreciated.
  • hartleymartin
    One option is to use the antiphons from the preceding Sunday.

During Ordinary Time, most of the weekday antiphons (with only a few exceptions) are taken from the previous Sunday and sung through the week.

You will also probably want to look into a couple of commons which will be handy for memorias as they crop up. Common of Holy Men, Common of Holy Women and Common of the Blessed Virgin Mary will cover most circumstances, although Common of Martyrs and Common of Pastors is also handy to have.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • chonakchonak
    Check Ben Yanke's book (in progress, perhaps?) "Ferial English Propers".
  • BenBen
    Theoretically in process, though I haven't worked on it lately.
  • Ihidaya
    Presuming that you mean, for the Ordinary Form of Mass, you can download for free the entire 1974 Graduale Romanum at http://www.ccwatershed.org/blog/2014/feb/17/1974-graduale-romanum-now-online/.
    That will give you not only the official, sung, entrance and communion antiphons for daily Mass, but the gradual, tract, alleluia, sequence, and offertory as well, for every day of the liturgical year.
    Thanked by 1SamuelDorlaque
  • BenBen
    Also, the Graduale Simplex is always an option.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    Thanks for the links, these are great resources, but from what I can see looking through the Gradual Romanum and Gradual Simplex the antiphons are all in Latin. I wouldn't mind singing Latin for the daily antiphons but I don't think the morning congregation would appreciate it, plus I don't think the pastor had that in mind.

I was looking for the daily antiphon settings in English. We currently use the seasonal missalette published by WLP. I know Roman Missal that father reads from contain the antiphons, because father reads them from that book. I don't know if it contains the musical settings.
  • The Lumen Christi Missal contains all of the Missal's weekday entrance and communion antiphons in English, formatted for singing to psalm tones (also contained in the LCM). I know of no free online source for these antiphons at this time.
  • You can generally check the Graduale for any changes during the week and match with the corresponding proper from the "Simple English Propers." I have to do this often for the school masses when the introit or communio in Latin are going to require more time to learn than what we can afford that week. Just remember that Monday is Feria 2, etc.
  • cmbearer
    About a year and half ago, at the pastor's request, we began singing the antiphons from the Missal for daily Mass. (I know its debatable about whether they should be sung or not, but you don't argue with the pastor! ;) ) At the time I, too, could not find a source for every one, and I began to compose them for our small schola, ususally 1-4 voices. Being a novice at chant, it has been a challenge, and I find myself regularly re-working them as they come up again and as I learn more about chant. Here is a sample of the ones I wrote recently for the Memorial of St. Bernard that was on August 20. If this is the kind of thing you are looking for and are interested in, I'd be happy to share them with you as I continue to work and refine them. It works for our parish, right now as we strive to move closer to the real thing.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Do you maybe have the clef on the wrong line? Re should certainly never be flat....
    Thanked by 1cmbearer
  • cmbearer
    Yup! Thanks for the catch... definitely a typo. Sorry.
  • cmbearer
    Clef has been moved to correct line. Thanks again matthewj.

• BenBen
    Communion too?
    Thanked by 1cmbearer
  • cmbearer
    Well, Ben, you are also correct. I guess I need to *hire* a proofreader. I'll get it fixed and reposted when I get into the office tomorrow.

You know they were in the correct places when I used them on Wednesday. After the fact, I went back and edited and must've moved the clefs inadvertently and without noticing. :( Again, thanks for bringing it to my attention.
  • cmbearer
    Communion clef has been fixed.
  • RevAMG
    It's better than nothing, cmbearer! I am a strong proponent of the "slow move" to the propers, especially when you're at a parish that has been using a four-hymn sandwich on Sundays (or a one- or two- hymn on weekdays, if that). Using the missal propers like this on weekdays can go a long way in helping people move from hymns to metrical propers to simple ones to the real thing. Keep up the good work!
    Thanked by 1cmbearer