Music plans for Assumption
  • BenBen
    What are you all doing? Share here!

We are having a Pontifical Mass at the Throne with my bishop, Bishop Robert Morlino on Friday.

In addition to the Gregorian propers (Signum Magnum), we will be singing Missa tribus vocibus (C . Dalitz), as well as CHGiffen's Ave Maria a2 and an alternatim Magnificat (Grassi), and of course, the Salve Regina at the end of Mass. The forum's own Aristotle Esguerra will be playing and directing.

What are you doing?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Toccata in F, Buxtehude
    Gaudeamus... Mode I
    Kyrie & Gloria VIII
    Psalm and Alleluia - LCM
    Immaculate Mary, LOURDES HYMN
    Sanctus & Agnus Dei VIII
    Communion - LCM
    Ave Maria... Mode I
    Hail Holy Queen Enthroned Above, SALVE REGINA
    Prelude in Bb, spurious Bach Krebs
  • TCJ
    Hm. Attending Mass elsewhere. The new pastor said he'd have to evaluate if enough people come to Mass to warrant having me in the future for feast days. Ah well.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    EF, St. Sebastian, Akron OH, 5:15
    Processional/Recessional: Hail Holy Queen
    Mass IX, Credo I, Gregorian Propers (full Schola on Introit and alleluia; psalm-toned Gradual and Alleluia verse, offertory and communion by yours truly, another cantor for Ordinary and Introit)
    Salve Regina (simple tone)
    L. Perosi: Ave maris stella, 2-part with organ (not the 4-part setting)

Not much to brag about, but it's our 2nd Mass together.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    TCJ, I wonder if enough people will come to warrant him HAVING Mass.
    Thanked by 2Ben MatthewRoth
  • SalieriSalieri
    Edit: posted, but too depressing...
  • CharlesW
    Entrance: Hail Holy Queen
    WLP Psalm
    ICEL Chant Mass
    Offertory: Ave Maria by a local composer
    Recessional: Immaculate Mary
    Organ Postlude: Trying to decide between a Couperin or a Marchand fugue

Incidental music as needed.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Offertory: Ave Maria by a local composer

CharlesW, ever the man of mystery!
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • CharlesW
    No mystery. We have a lady in the choir who was my predecessor as DM and organist. She is older now, of course, but still composing church music.
  • donr
    Entrance, Offertory & Communion: LCSG
    Entrance Hymn: Immaculate Mary
    Offertory Hymn: Ave Maria Chant
    Communion: Magnificat Mode VIII- Morley
    Meditation: Salve Regina
    Recessional: Hail Holy Queen
  • 'The new pastor said he'd evaluate...if enough people come... to warrant having me in the future for feast days.'

This is a deplorable bit of ratiocination. Perhaps it's even sick. It certainly betrays a comprehension of feast days and solemnities that is spiritually unhealthy (sick). The Church understands a solemnity (of which the Assumption is one) to be an occasion of the greatest solemnitas, which is to say, festivity, in the manner of celebration of the Holy Mysteries on a day so designated. It doesn't matter what the attendance is. This is an irrelevant factor. All the liturgical stops are pulled out and no solemnity is foresworn, no matter if there are three people in attendance. The best acolytes, the best incense, the best chanting, the best efforts of the choir, the organist, the best cantors and lectors, and all others who are a part of the parish's musical ministry are to be marshalled because the feast itself is of such importance as to demand them. And, if one's priest is concerned that few may show up, he has his work cut out for him in impressing upon his people that their attendance at the divine liturgy is expected. But, whether they come or don't come, the Holy Mysteries are celebrated in their due manner.
  • veromaryveromary
    I will fondly remember the sung Mass we had where the choir of around five outnumbered the congregation of about one. I can't remember how many servers.

I haven't planned anything this time though.
    Thanked by 1MatthewRoth
  • donr
    The music for the Mass is the music for the Mass regardless if anyone is there or not.

When I was performing in bands (the early years), I used to tell my band mates that we need to play our best even if only one person was in the audience.

Professionalism is Professionalism even if no one is watching.
  • donr
    And we all know the heavens are singing with us at every Mass
  • chonakchonak
    There is a profound mistake here.

Some human activities are done for the sake of some good objective, and it can be wise to do them or not do them, depending on how effective they are.

But some activities are done for their own sake, even if nothing humanly observable results from the act. We see this in actions as simple as play. Anyone who only plays in order to achieve some result -- fitness or social interaction -- is missing an important dimension of what it means to be a human being.

All the more we worship God for the sake of worshipping God. It is an end in itself: to be the Church of Jesus Christ turning to God in adoration and praise to offer the Holy Sacrifice.
  • TCJ
    Oh, I disagree with the pastor, but in the end, I have to abide by his decision. The sad thing is that if there are enough people (in his estimation) to have me the next time, I'll likely be working that day at another job and unable to play. This coming feast just happened to work out perfectly for me in regard to free time.

He's certainly not the only pastor I've met who thinks that way!
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • CharlesW
    You play some of the neatest things, eft.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • hartleymartin
    Not quite for Assumption, but this is for a mass to be held at the end of a short Marian Pilgrimage tomorrow. I think that this feast falls on a Saturday next year so the Pilgrimmage will be held on that day:

Processional Hymn: "Immaculate Mary" (LOURDES)
    Introit Antiphon: Salve Sancta Parents (GR)
    Offertory Antiphon: Ave Maria (Chant Hymn Tone)
    Offertory Hymn: "Help of Christians, Guard This Land" (CAMILLA)
    Communion Antiphon: Beata Viscera (GR)
    Communion Hymn: "Sing My Tongue the Saviour's Glory (PANGE LINGUA)
    Thanksgiving Hymn: "Soul of My Saviour" (ANIMA CHRISTI)
    Marian Antiphon: Salve Regina (Tonus Simplex)

Mass Ordinary: Missa Simplex I (GS)
    Psalm: Simplified Chant Tone I
    Alleluia: Tone VI Easter Alleluia
    Pater Noster: AECL English Chant Tone (known as the "Australian Tone")

Only the Introit, Offertory and Communion Antiphons will be sung by the small choir, the rest will be sung by the whole congregation with organ accompaniment.
  • Prelude: Setting of Ave Maria Chant-Flor Peeters
    Processional: Hail Holy Queen
    Preparation: Magnificat setting to the tune I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say-Kingsfold-Text found in the RitualSong
    Communion: My Soul Rejoices-Psalm setting by Gelineau
    Recessional: Sing with all the Saints in Glory