Tra le sollecitudini and the "Great" Masses
  • Friends,

Was Pope St. Pius X right to forbid the use of tympani ("percussive instruments") and opera-like settings of the ordinary of the Mass for public worship? I don't mean in terms of Church law, but in terms of prudence and even morality.

This is something I've often thought about in the past few years. The majesty of some of Haydn's, Mozart's, Zelenka's, and Lotti's Mass settings were a big part of what brought me forth from atheism to the Church. Something about their grandeur reflected the immensity of what was occurring at the Eucharist. Chant & a-cappella polyphony are "otherworldly", it's true, but there are such qualities in the "Great" Masses of the Masters, too.

Perhaps this subject has come up before. I'm sorry if it's "old hat".
  • donr
    @BeniSoitLeSeigneur, I believe he was right to forbid these Masses. You have to recall the times. Just like today the profane is entering the church. It should not.
    Opera was the entertainment of the day. If you went to a show it was the opera.
    It was creeping into the music that was played at Mass so it was rightly "outlawed" (for lack of a better term).

Now a days things are different, most people do not go to the opera, they go to concerts hear Bionce or ?

So as far as profane music, I would say that the Masses of Hayden would be more allowed now then they were back then.

The 2nd issue of course would be if they are theatrical in nature. We would not want the music at Mass to be a show, we want it to be prayer, reflecting on the celebration taking place on the altar. You wan to show all Glory and Praise to the Sacrifice being re-presented for us, so we shouldn't try to upstage that sacrifice with our own emotion.

I believe there is a fine line between offering our very best to the Lord and be a show off.

With that said, we also need to be responsible with the time some of these pieces would take up during the Mass.
    Thanked by 1BeniSoitLeSeigneur
  • That's a really good point, donr, with regards to the Times we live in. Such music would be considered very broadly "sacred" today, but back then, perhaps, it was a sign of richness/decadence or a reminder of the opera house.
  • CharlesW
    Much of what was considered profane in an earlier time has been rehabilitated and even has religious words set to it today. Now we seem to be in the Broadway musical era and opera is no longer the music of the day. Pius X, however, is dead and gone, good man though he was. A lot of legislation and documents have been written since then, and those are the ones we should follow, although many do as they please.
  • WGS
    Father Skeris has noted that "tympani" or kettle drums are pitched and tunable and thus not in the same category as purely rhythm instruments such as the bass drum or snare drum.
    Thanked by 1Jahaza
  • melofluentmelofluent
    This issue has been heartily debated for years here.
    Simply put (particularly after hearing the Vierne at SLC 12), I believe the merit of a major Mass serving the liturgy is self evident in the midst of experiencing it at service. Prior to that, I was not convinced of the intentionality of the "performance Mass." I'm big on noble simplicity and humility being at the heart of sacred music. But does that mean that Msgr. Schuler's modus operandi was antithetical to that? Not in the slightest.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • francis
    Personally, I believe that no orchestral Masses should be allowed at liturgy. It's upstaging the liturgy. Fine to write a Mass, but it would be a concert work. I have written those myself, but would never put them to use in a liturgy.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I guess tympani would be preferable to bongos. Just sayin'.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Of course, tunable bongos would be acceptable then, as well.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I'm cool with anything which has been used in liturgy being used in liturgy, as long as the correct and complete text is presented (and not telescoped a la Haydn) and it serves the liturgy. As for upstaging, can't you upstage the liturgy with chant, if you have the wrong attitude about it?
    Thanked by 1BeniSoitLeSeigneur
  • francis
    Jeffrey:

Yes, you can upstage the liturgy with any presentation of egotistical performance, and I have had many a diva constantly usurp the prayerful presence and focus of liturgy and interject ego many times, even with chant; very frustrating and highly inappropriate. However, with orchestral masses I don't believe there is any way NOT to upstage a liturgy, no matter how well the intention may be. The focus goes away from liturgical sacrifice and onto musical event. It's the nature of the beast. Do it as a concert. Why would one even want to tamper with the norms?
  • There are those who believe in the True Presence who would see hearing an orchestral Mass by a great composer at Mass as a great blessing and would be wistful when it finished. It helps and is almost essential that the musicians, all of them, are not in view, but that's just my opinion.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Usually the norm is hymns & the Mass of Creation. Establishing a norm that includes Bruckner & Schubert (as described by Krenek) would be worth a lot of tampering.
  • francis
    Richard:

The norms are not hymns and MOC; they are the abuses. And one abuse does not justify another. The norms are chant, polyphony and organ.
    Thanked by 1Felicity
  • melofluentmelofluent
    francis, though your point is taken, neither hymns nor MoC amount to "abuses." They aren't ideal, yes. They can be thought as objectionable. But as an actual "abuse?" That's hyperbole.
  • francis
    melo

i feel very abused when i hear it (moc) (somewhat tic). just saying. hymns are just out of place. foreign. i avoid the NO mass with music if at all possible.

they still are NOT the norm. perhaps aberration is a better word.

ab·er·ra·tion
    ˌabəˈrāSHən/
    noun
    noun: aberration; plural noun: aberrations

a departure from what is normal, usual, or expected, typically one that is unwelcome.
    "they described the outbreak of violence in the area as an aberration"
    synonyms: anomaly, deviation, departure from the norm, divergence, abnormality, irregularity, variation, digression, freak, rogue, rarity, oddity, peculiarity, curiosity, quirk; More
    mistake
    "a statistical aberration"
    Biology
    a characteristic that deviates from the normal type.
    "color aberrations"
    synonyms: anomaly, deviation, departure from the norm, divergence, abnormality, irregularity, variation, digression, freak, rogue, rarity, oddity, peculiarity, curiosity, quirk;
    Thanked by 2melofluent Felicity
  • francis
    ASIDE:

It is so funny. People ask questions on this forum and then the usual handful of people have a debate over their question. It's just kinda funny.

I hope our differing slants of view give insight!
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Quite right, francis.
    I've never championed "performance Masses" per se. But I've listened to Mahrt wax eloquent about the Schuler paradigm to remind myself that ultimately it comes down to a set of circumstances. And the setting itself.
    I remember a classical Mass arranged and orchestrated by our colleague Yurodiva JE and heard at colloquium. Labor of great love it was.
  • Shameless plug - I presented a paper on this topic at the Musica Sacra conference at St. Agnes last October (of all places to gently criticize the orchestral mass tradition!), which I believe will be published in the spring or summer edition of Sacred Music (Jared Ostermann - Parallel and Sequential Liturgy). I think it is important to remember that there is more going on here than a question of style or musical taste or the performative aspect of orchestral masses (although those are good topics too). More fundamental, I believe, is the fact that the structure of the liturgy changed dramatically after Vatican II - in such a way that the choral Mass Ordinary does not fit as well structurally with the liturgy as previously. I always get worried when someone brings an orchestral Mass into the Novus Ordo liturgy and proudly says that this important work is once again being heard in its "intended liturgical context." Not so! It was written for a structurally different liturgy, with different considerations at work. And even before the council, overly massive works (no pun intended) were already a concern as they could easily overshadow and distort the liturgy. Thus the statement in TLS that the priest should never be kept waiting at the altar while the music finishes.
    And there are various legislative concerns. For example, Musicam Sacram 16b - entrusting the entire Orindary and Proper to the choir, to the exclusion of the people, is to be deprecated; but unless we have congregational propers in use the congregation is excluded from singing both Proper and Ordinary when a choral Mass is used. To my knowledge, having read everything I could find from Schuler et al, orchestral Mass proponents have never addressed MS 16b. Also, there is the statement in the GIRM that the Sanctus is pronounced by all the people with the priest. This one I have seen addressed, but simply by saying "the GIRM is general and doesn't cover every case", which makes sense but at the same time seems to be an extremely broad statement. I'd like to see more thorough thinking on that approach to the GIRM - what else besides Mozart could be easily justified by that approach? And then there are the added rubrics - the sitting during Gloria or Creed, the silent canon continued while the Sanctus is sung, and other changes that vary from place to place. It seems that the "Say the Black, do the Red" crowd is sometimes willing to come up with or explain away a fair amount of red in order to make certain music "work." Is that how things should be done? I do believe personally, also due to my time spent living in Vienna, that orchestral masses can continue to be used in the NO. However, Vienna also has its own history of exceptions granted through proper ecclesial authority (dating back to shortly after TLS, in fact), which address some of these concerns.

Of course, all of the above only applies to the Novus Ordo.

At any rate, considering the structure and legislation of the reformed liturgy, operatic associations of style and instrumentation are the least of my worries when considering whether to program an orchestral mass! These days, I don't think timpani or orchestras or even aria-style solo writing carries any clear secular association for the vast majority of people. In fact, the opposite is more likely to be true.
  • kenstb
    Very interesting points of view. I am not a fan of the orchestral mass, particularly because most orchestral settings seem to have been composed with the view of being used at a concert. I am not opposed to orchestral settings of the mass in general, because they can be extraordinarily beautiful and moving. Perhaps the better question should turn towards whether anyone in the present is composing a mass for choir and orchestra that could be used at an actual liturgy without slipping into performance. Do any of you know of any recent (within the last 20 years) compositions that fit this description? I know that several of us have composed orchestral masses, but other than a few shorter parts of the ordinary, I would be loathe to use any of my own at a mass.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    Very interesting points of view. I am not a fan of the orchestral mass, particularly because most orchestral settings seem to have been composed with the view of being used at a concert.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • hartleymartin
    The trouble back then was that people were turning the liturgy of the church into a concert genre and the meaning and purpose of the liturgy was being lost.

Basically, the problem was that church music was too much imitating the music of popular entertainment (sound familiar?) The aim ever since has been to recapture a sense of prayer and the sacred.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Jeffrey Quick
    "Why would one even want to tamper with the norms?"
    Because Catholic is as Catholic does, and in 18th-c. Vienna, these were a norm. It seems prideful to me to accuse an entire culture of liturgical violation.

OTOH, Kirchenmusik nailed the issues in terms of the OF, and even in terms of modern practice of the EF. Just because music worked in its native liturgy does not mean that it can be made to work in a different liturgy. Pre-Reformation English music works with a time scale that was appropriate for the Sarum rite, not the EF. It's gorgeous, heavenly music, and if the priest had something to do up there and the congregation didn't have something to do afterwards, we could use it, but we can't.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    Jeffrey:

I am not making an accusation, simply an observation. If you read The Papal Legislation of Sacred Music, you will see that it was a constant battle to keep the balance of music to prayer in the liturgy throughout the centuries. Over and over pope after pope struggled with the issue and wrote document after document, including bulls, encyclicals, restrictions, penalties for offenses and more. The music must always be subservient to the liturgical action and the prayer. When the music becomes the focus then all goes out of balance very quickly. I believe the temptation for musicians is to 'air the ego', be it composer or performer. It is a constant temptation and must always be held in check.

I am not saying the music isn't beautiful. It may be the most beautiful music this side of heaven, but if it is not in 'concert' with the action and supporting it, well, then, it might just as well be a concert. It think this is an extremely delicate balance that very few have achieved.

Today our liturgies are strictly utilitarian. Now we are at the other extreme. Bad, cheap, tasteless music that does not do justice to the liturgy.

I also think that form must be consistent. Dr. Mahrt spoke about this in the most recent colloquium. These are the finer points of liturgical music joined to liturgical action and prayer. (You can hear his address on the colloquium link)

[mindstorm]I have been thinking about this for many years and formulating in my mind a model to compose a complete mass that brings a very high level of musical composition (even using orchestral instruments) into a delicate balance that I have never observed to date. This would include the dialogues, ordinary, propers, etc, but all composed for a particular feast day and ONLY that feast day. I envision this to be more like an oratorio in style than anything else, but the primary focus would be the liturgy and its action. If you think about the music of a good movie, the music becomes transparent, and at times you forget about the music even if it is there, because the music is supporting the action and never becomes the primary focus.[/mindstorm]
    Thanked by 1kenstb
  • melofluentmelofluent
    francis, your mindstorm represents a great concern of mine that we've discussed here quite thoroughly. Can such a Mass setting even elicit all the desired aspects and expectations?
    Conceivably, yes. Universally and actually, who knows?
    I've cited this before. After SLC1 I purchased the Chris Mueller "Tertione." Of course, at colloquium 250 musical folk sang the stained-glass infused daylights out of it. When we had it ready (choir LOVED IT) and put it into about 8 months of use at our mother parish, the PIPS seemed to love it as well. They loved it so much they listened to it with attentive quietude. In order to elicit more actuosa, I even employed one of our sopranos to function as a "cantor," which I'm loathe to do ever. Same outcome.
    I perused the incredibe Jacob Bancks Mass, I can't even imagine how to deploy that on any regular basis. We've been using (with some adaptations) Msgr. Mancini's THAXTED from CanticaNova with better results, but its shelf life is limited (how much can one milk out of THAXTED?) We're headed next to Richard Clark's MASS OF THE ANGELS, but that, as well, will take some serious preparation of the congregation despite its inherent familiarity.
    Please compose your Mass! I'm working ever so slowly on one as well. And I'm going to go through past colloquium repertoire looking for Jeffrey Quick's, Michael Olbash's and other settings I've lost acquaintence with.
    The choral/participatory Mass is worth saving.
    Thanked by 1kenstb
  • Jeffrey Quick
    "Today our liturgies are strictly utilitarian. Now we are at the other extreme. "
    And this is one case of mutual impoverishment of the EF by the OF. There are parishes where schola and congregation (maybe!) grind through Mass XI for the whole of post-Pentecost, because "the congregation should sing the Mass". If they're lucky, they put the work saved on that towards doing the Gregorian Propers and a motet or two really well, but often it's just Rossini Propers. It's just as utilitarian. Part of this is the practical problem of lack of resources, but part of it is a kind of legalism. (and to what extent does Sacrosanctum Concilium apply to the Mass normative at the time of its promulgation? The EF is '62 rubrics, but there's more to a Mass than rubrics.). It's as if church interiors have most often had white walls, so now we have to legislate white walls. I want to be amazed by the amazing musical treasures of the Church. I want them ALL to be on display... IN PROPORTION, WITH TASTE. Because it's not about us...but it's not apart from us either.

Melo... I actually haven't written a participatory Mass. St. Max is choral. I've considered doing some kind of retrofit, maybe writing a cantorial line to fill in continuity issues. The soprano doesn't go that high. I just haven't been able to bring myself to do that, even though the piece as it stands is a white elephant. And if I do write a karaoke mass, it will probably be dedicated to St. Jude.
  • BenBen
    It seems prideful to me to accuse an entire culture of liturgical violation.

I haven't followed this discussion closely, but you know, you could reasonably accuse America of this...not sure the statement is so crazy after all.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    It's hard to argue against that, Ben. And I am well aware that the logic of my position dictates that there must be some room somewhere for Massive Cremation. I'm not sure what to make of that. But to get personal: there's a tendency I find in myself to assume that EF attendees take their faith more seriously than OF attendees. And so it seems... but as an assumption, it turns around to bite me in the butt. And because of that, I tend to bend over backwards not to make assumptions about my fellow Catholics.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • kenstb
    Ben, you may have a point there, but hopefully we are turning the corner with more and more people finding access to the information. I have wondered whether it is worthwhile to compose an orchestral mass along the lines suggested by Francis, but in my area there would not be resources (orchestra) to play it at mass. I still think that such a mass, if it were not long winded, would be a wonderful thing to sit through.
  • MatthewRoth
    BeniSoitLeSeigneur, I agree. I recently went to the ICRSS ordinations in St. Louis, and the Mass setting was an orchestral Mass by Zelenka (I'm fairly certain it was his Missa Purificationis, ZWV 16). It was heavenly, and it worked well as a setting of the Mass in the usus antiquior, especially since it was a Pontifical High Mass. That would satisfy some concerns addressed here. :)
    Francis, orchestral Masses might not hold primacy like Gregorian chant does and should hold, nor a privileged second place like polyphony. But they have a three hundred year old place in the Roman liturgy, and one can recognize their pitfalls as a genre but still use them on occasion. Some are better than others. I am currently listening to Vaughan Williams's Mass in G minor, which is a choral setting. It's beautiful, and he intended it for liturgy. It's noble and simple (I sympathize greatly with melofluent's concerns), but there are parts which do not work as well in the liturgy, because of the tempo chosen. It's obvious to me which Masses work better in the concert hall, though I won't say the majority of the "genre" is directed towards the concert hall. Mozart's Requiem is probably better in strict performance settings. Verdi's is certainly (obviously, even) for the concert hall.
    I would also say that if St. Pius X really wished to eliminate all orchestral Masses, he would have. No, he went for the worst offenders- the operatic Masses- and got people thinking about the rest, to see what was worth saving (even if it's 100+ years later).
  • dad29
    I would suggest that the orchestral masses written by Mozart, Haydn (and others) were written NOT as 'music for a concert' but as 'music requested by their patrons'. That is, the Golden Rule was in operation then, as it is now.

One should not be too cynical about that 'golden rule', either. In charity, we should assume that the patrons (and the composers) were interested in glorifying God and edifying the faithful--raising the minds and hearts of the faithful to God.

The conjunction 'and' between 'minds' and 'hearts' in that phrase is often overlooked. The qualities of the music should be such that it does raise both, equally. So long as we understand 'participation' to require effort (which could be mental, not necessarily physical), we can say that those mass ordinaries are just fine.

They can fit into the NO scheme, as Mgr. Schuler demonstrated. However, personally speaking, I'd reserve them for Big Occasions such as Christmas, Easter, Ordinations, church dedications (etc.)
    Thanked by 1MatthewRoth
  • SalieriSalieri
    I think we should consider the following when we talk about the Orchestral Mass repertoire:

1) The Missa Solemnis (such as the 'Nelson Mass' or 'Coronation Mass') was not the normal bread-and-butter of 18th Century Catholic life; that distinction goes to the Missa Brevis or the Missa Brevis et Solemnis. The Missa Solemnis was really only used on State occasions - elevations of Bishops, Coronations, etc. Of Haydn's 14-odd Masses, I think, only about half are of the grandiose Missa Solemnis type; Mozart wrote only three: Coronation Mass, Great Mass in C Minor, and Requiem; Salieri wrote one ( for the Coronation, the rest of his were either of the Missa Brevis or Missa Brevis et Solemnis style - and he wrote for the Hoffkapell); and (I believe) Schubert (pupil of Salieri) wrote only in the Brevis et Solemnis form

2) Apart from certain unfortunate developments in some Missae Brevis, such as "telescoping", most of these Masses are really well within the respectable limits of a Mass - the only 'solo' movement might be the 'Benedictus', most solos are in ensembles, or in pairs (ST or AB) offering some contrast of texture in the longer movements such as the 'Gloria' - Mozart's K49 Missa Brevis in G (the Gloria of which I used an a Nuptial Mass - Novus Ordo) is a wonderful setting.

3) They are for the Vetus ordo, and are made to fit that frame like a glove.
    3a) The Composers were probably more devout than the Clergy. Thinking about this question, I played a few Orchestral Kyries - Schubert (in F, G and E-flat), Haydn (Nelson, Kleine Orgelsolo Messe), Salieri (in D), Mozart (C minor) - and recited the Prayers at the Foot of the Altar, and mimed the incensation (in my living room - kinda dorky, I know). What I found shocked me: If the Prayers at the Foot of the Altar were said deliberately, not rushed, and the incensation done slowly and reverently, they timing is perfect, and occasionally the music is too short - which is good considering that the Introit might have to wait to be sung until after the Asperges me. I only had to wait about 15 seconds for the Schubert F major Kyrie (which lasts about 5 min). Sanctus-Benedictus movements were also very well timed. Bad timing in these movements might come about mainly by too slow a tempo by the conductor and by priests rattling off the Canon at a million miles per hour.
    3b) Whether sung to Chant, classical Polyphony, or in Orchestral settings, the action taking place at the Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus-Benedictus, and Agnus Dei is the singing of those texts, therefore the 'action' takes as long as it takes to sing them; unlike the Introit, Offertory, and Communion which accompany another action.

4) Considering that before the Solesmes revival of the authentic Chant, the Chant was sung mensurally, and normally at a rough pace of punctum = 60-80 bpm, it could actually be quicker to sing a polyphonic or orchestral Mass that a full Gregorian one. That is, whether the Mass was sung with Chant, Polyphonic or Orchestral settings, some amount of 'waiting' on the part of the clergy was part and parcel of the Sung Mass itself. What would be the difference of waiting an extra minute for the choir to finish Credo I or to finish the Credo to Schubert in G?
    4a) Figured music, whether florid Organum, Flemish or Roman Polyphony, or Orchestral Masses, as always been looked upon with some suspicion by the hierarchy of the Church because of the abuses which, especially in the hands of less than devout and generally slip-shod composers, could easily slip into the liturgy.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Another thing to consider:

5) In many places where such settings were employed the soprano and alto solos were actually taken by Boys not Women trained for the Opera House, so tone and timbre would have been different from many modern recordings - reducing the 'operatic' quality.
  • Salieri - your 3b above lies at the heart of this question. "3b) Whether sung to Chant, classical Polyphony, or in Orchestral settings, the action taking place at the Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus-Benedictus, and Agnus Dei is the singing of those texts, therefore the 'action' takes as long as it takes to sing them; unlike the Introit, Offertory, and Communion which accompany another action."

This is true in the Novus Ordo, with the exception of the Agnus Dei (which accompanies the fraction rite, which according to the GIRM "should not be unnecessarily prolonged or accorded exaggerated importance."). And the question is - does this single action of the Ordinary make it better or worse to program a 5-minute choral setting?

In the EF, on the other hand, the priests and servers do have actions which run alongside each sung part of the Ordinary. As you demonstrated with your in-home experiment. If nothing else, the priest recites the Gloria and Credo while the choir sings it, and then can walk to the chair and sit while the choir finishes.
  • Palestrina
    Pius X didn't forbid these Masses because they had percussion: if that had been the only problem, the percussion could have been omitted without doing any serious damage to the music.

They were forbidden because they came far too close to the operatic exertions of their composers. Too much aria-like writing, too little respect for the text. Whether they were written for use at Mass is irrelevant - stylistically, they are wrong. And it is quite clear that Pius X did intend to remove them from the liturgy: look at the implementation of the motu proprio in Rome, and the fact that the Holy Roman Emperor petitioned for an indult in Vienna.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • dad29
    too little respect for the text.

Really? Examples, please?
  • chonakchonak
    [A tip about posting YouTube videos: If the URL starts with 'https', change it to 'http'. That way, the automatic embedding works. --admin]
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • Palestrina
    dad29, take your pick. So many repetitions of text, and then there are the telescoped Glorias etc, where you get through the entire thing in about a minute because each part of the choir is singing a separate section of the text at the same time.

An extreme (and later) example is the Faure Requiem, which should NEVER be used liturgically.
  • dad29
    So your definition of 'lack of respect for text' includes repeated and/or overlaid text.

I might agree about 'overlaid' if and only if little of the text is understandable, except that everyone in the church knew what the text was. One doesn't hear Mass every Sunday and NOT know what the text is. But I'll concede that to the extent that it obscures text, it is undesirable.

Repetition? Sorry, can't agree with you there. That actually "respects" the text more by underlining (or emphasizing) portions which the composer wants to emphasize. Your complaint resembles that of the Bugnini-ites who decried 'useless repetition' to dismantle the EF.

Now show me the 'one-minute' Gloria.
  • SalieriSalieri
    A few things:

1) I think we all need to realize that legislative documents whether from the Church or from the State do not arise in a vacuum: During Giuseppe Sarto's/Pius X's lifetime the majority of Orchestral Masses being employed were not those of Mozart, Schubert, Haydn or Bruckner; They were by now thankfully forgotten composers who basically failed at writing for the theatre and so wrote for the church instead - this wasn't a purely Catholic problem, by the way, there is plenty of bad Anglican Music from the same time. Pius had the obligation to get rid of the orchestral Mass in general in order to get rid of these atrocities in particular. After about 100 years free from the monstrosities of Battmann, Leonard, Fiske, and the rest, perhaps it's time to re-evaluate the Orchestral Masses by the greater composers and see how the hold up against the Polyphonists - to my ear Haydn bears up just as well as Victoria. (*ducking from flying fruit*)

2) There are plenty of text repeats in polyphony - listen to 'the greatest Mass ever written': Missa Papae Marcelli. You'll hear plenty of textual repitetition.

3) The 'telescoped' Gloria is indeed at thing. It was frowned upon (sometimes strongly condemned, even) even in the 18th century. Many of Joseph Haydn's Missae Brevis for Esterhaza include these settings; there is at least one example (Missa Brevis in B-flat, No. 7) where Michael Haydn elongated it and reworked it for use in Salzbourg. It should be noted that none of WA Mozart's Missae Brevis (written for Salzbourg) include 'Telescoped' settings.

4) A telescoped setting was used at my Bishop's installation yesterday. It was pointless: is was put into English (ICEL 2010), and after the intonation, was a bunch of mumbo-jumbo until they all came together for 'With the Holy Spirit. ... Amen." They might as well have sung it in Klingon.

Original (more or less) version.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlOl3y6eiVY

Michael Haydn's reworking can be found in the recordings for the 2009 Colloquium in Chicago http://music.dierschow.com/2009Colloquium/index.htm
  • (by the way, I've finally gotten around to using my real name in my profile). I'm kirchenmusik...

Palestrina - I've used the Faure or sung in the Faure many times liturgically. But I'm glad you brought it up because the Requiem genre is a different animal. Why? Because it is at least half a setting of the Proper rather than the Ordinary. As such Requiems actually do tend to work well in the Novus Ordo. At least in the sense that you can use the Introit, Offertory, and Communion propers at the respective times and the In Paradisum as a recessional. And maybe the Kyrie and/or Sanctus as well, if you're more daring. The specific difficulty with the Faure is that the Sanctus does not include the Benedictus, so that is out of the question for liturgical use. Also, the Agnus Dei and Communio are put together in one movement. But that actually works well as the communion movement - we all know Cardinal Ratzinger's recommendation of moving the Agnus to communion. Finally, the Introit and Kyrie are in one movement - this makes perfect sense in the EF (this is a pre-conciliar setting) because the introit and kyrie are seamlessly connected in the EF.

All that said, if you leave out the Sanctus and Libera Me, the Faure works quite well in the NO (I usually put the Pie Jesu after communion). I have also conducted the Durufle Requiem liturgically in the NO, and I think it is the best Requiem from a liturgical standpoint. The text is respected and the movements are compact and have a natural dynamic arch (quiet to climactic and back to quiet) that makes them seem to appear organically from and fade back into a chanted liturgy. For that reason nothing approaches the Durufle in my book in terms of liturgical usefulness.
    I have also attended four NO liturgies with the Mozart in various places, and done properly (perhaps only excerpts) even that setting can work. In Vienna they did that piece at St. Stephens cathedral when Pope JP II died - still one of the musical highpoints of my life. The entrance procession was so long and slow that the combined introit and kyrie did not even quite cover it.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Palestrina
    The Faure Requiem doesn't even respect the text and its form. Read it through, for goodness sake!

As to the rest, they were removed for good reasons -They're just a bunch of concert Masses. It's very tempting to try to rewrite history to say, "Oh, well... Pius X didn't mean ALL of the Viennese Masses because Mozart and Haydn are so awesome" but actually, he did! It's very clear that he wanted them gone: look at what he did as Patriarch of Venice, and then look again at the specific legislation for the Diocese of Rome after the implementation of the motu proprio. Also look at the text of the motu proprio - 'the Church has always admitted all good developments in the arts, with due regard, however, for the liturgical law.' Pius X was quite prepared to have more modern styles, provided that they met liturgical needs. If I'm doing a 'Bugnini', dad29, so was St Pius X. In fact, if these orchestral Masses were all so awesome and misunderstood, why weren't they teaching them at the Pontifical Institute for Sacred Music? It was established by Pius X precisely to train the next generation of liturgical musicians according to sound principles. The fact is that they're not suitable, never have been and never will be. They're just concert music with liturgical texts as a pretext.

Frankly, there's very little to differentiate Mozart's operatic style from his liturgical style, and removing these Masses from the liturgy was no great loss. There's no shortage of fine material out there to use without having to resort to operatic arias and silly bouncy rhythms that might have been the cuttings of Don Giovanni!
  • CharlesW
    I suspect that the Austrians don't much care whether or not we like their masses and will continue to do them. I have found Haydn masses more workable for Sunday use than some others, but I really don't have the resources to do those orchestral masses well. Many of them require importing singers and instrumentalists to the degree that you end up with a performance, whether or not that was your original intent. I will stick with the organ and the Alzheimer's volunteer choir as usual.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • SalieriSalieri
    When you consider that most big Orchestral Requiems were written for State Occasions like this (Requiem of Otto von Habsburg), They work quite well, timing wise (in both EF and OF). This is Michael Haydn's Requiem for Archbishop Sigismund, performed liturgically in St. Stephen's Cathedral, Vienna, for the late Emperor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A21D7zp1Vk

To say that Mozart and Haydn could not have used what was musical lingua franca in their time is the same as to condemn Monteverdi and Gabrielli for using what was lingua franca in theirs; it's silliness. Don't condemn Mozart, Haydn, and Salieri for writing like Mozart, Haydn, and Salieri - if you do, I'll condemn Palestrina, Ockeghem, and Mouton for writing like Palestrina, Ockeghem, and Mouton. (There are, after all, similarities between their Masses and Motets and their Madrigals and Chansons.)

Well, I guess there is really nothing to do but to ban all instruments and figured music from Leonin through to La Rocca and just go back to Gregorian Chant. Oh, but make sure you use the 1909 Vatican Edition (without Solesmes' markings), because that's the only licit edition of the Chant.
  • CharlesW
    And don't even dare suggesting heating the building or using anything but candles for illumination. Along with that chant you may use 17-rank mixtures tuned sharp. Monastic dress is required. You can sing the high notes better if you are freezing your arse in the unheated building. Now when is that organ beater going to get here? Musicians! What a pain!
  • Palestrina
    Nice try, Salieri, but given the extent to which the North Italian school of composition was aligned with the specific reforms of Trent for sacred music, that argument falls flat on its face. Read Noel O'Regan on that point.
  • Palestrina
    And my point stands: all this music was removed after Pius X's reforms. Why remove it, if Pius X didn't have anything against developments per se? If it was merely a matter of a 'lingua franca', their works would have been fine. They weren't.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Palestrina, in that Faure himself ponied up that the work (Requiem) itself was a sort-of cobbled excercize meant to satisfy his own needs at particular moments of his life, is it really fair to ascribe "respect for the form" as to the merits of each movement that he did set? (This may be a digression, I know.)
    But regarding the "Sanctus," I can only think of one hand full of settings that meet my criteria regarding the metaphysical aspects of a conjoined choir between heaven and earth, and the Faure is at the top of that list, IMO.
    I agree that it's problematic, but not impossible, to employ it or other portions at liturgy, augmenting chanted settings of the Benedictus or whatever without that necessarily constituting an "abuse" (the over-used complaint.) YMMV.
  • SalieriSalieri
    So, unlike the Russian Orthodox Church which has allowed sacred compositions to be written and included in Church music, all development in the Roman Rite needs to cease with the death of Palestrina in 1594? Going by this, the following composers are banned from the Church because their sacred compositions use the same techniques as their operatic and secular compositions:

Moteverdi, the Gabriellis, Praetorius, Lassus, Sweelinck, Byrd, Tye, Tallis, Charpentier, Couperin, Mouret, Bai, the Bachs, Handel, Arne, the Purcells, Boyce, the Mozarts, the Haydns, Eybler, Salieri, Schubert, Beethoven, Humperdinck, Fux, Gasmann, Zalenka, Stadler, Freystadtler, Gruber, Mustafa, Bruckner, Rossini, Faure, Franck, Stanford, Durufle, Dupre, Tournemire, Holst, Vaughan Williams, Messaien, Britten, Berkeley, Rubbra, Stravinsky, Tavener, Part, Giffen, La Rocca, Copper, Kwasniewski, etc., etc., etc.

This must also work retroactively too: So much for Josquin, Ockeghem, Mouton, Taverner, Machaut, Dufay, Perotin, Leonin, etc., etc.

Following this 'black list', lets see, that leaves us with, hmm, oh, Palestrina, Victoria, Pietro Yon, Carlo Rossini, and Lorenzo Perosi -- the 1930-whatever "white list".

Dr. Mahrt makes compelling arguments for the use of the Orchestral Mass in Musical Shape of the Liturgy.
    Thanked by 1Schönbergian