LaTeX documentclass for kyriale project using Gregorio
  • (Mods: feel free to re-classify this as appropriate. I tried to pick an appropriate category...)

I'm a cantor and technophile in the parish schola/choir at our local EF apostolate. We're in the (long and slow) process of putting together a newly-typeset kyriale for the EF Mass and a parish hymnal. (And yes, we did look at the St. Edmund Campion Missal and Hymnal, but it didn't exactly meet our needs for a number of reasons.)

I've got Gregorio and LaTeX working fine on my Mac, and I'm trying to teach myself LaTeX to make the layout of something like a kyriale easier, but I'm wondering... does anyone out there have a decent document class for something like a kyriale? Say, something that would look a bit like the layout of the old Solesmes books? For now, I've got a rough draft just using
    \documentclass[twoside,openany]{book}
    but I don't like certain things about how it lays out headers/footers and headings.

I'm not so much looking for someone here to teach me how to use LaTeX - this isn't primarily a technical forum - but if someone else out there has already done the work on something like this that I can re-use and tweak to our needs, I'd be most grateful. :) Alternately, if there's somewhere else I should be lurking to find stuff like this, I'll gladly go there and start digging. (I already tried the gregorio-users mailing list archives, but that's more technical issues with Gregorio itself rather than LaTeX formatting.)
  • chonakchonak
    You can use the package "fancyhdr" to get good control of headers and footers, and "vmargin" to set margins and also specify a custom page size. E.g.: the attached booklet PDF. Here's the header from the LaTeX document file:

\documentclass[twoside,12pt]{book}
    \usepackage[cp437de]{inputenc}
    \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
    \usepackage[american,latin]{babel}
    \usepackage{vmargin}
    \setpapersize{custom}{5.5in}{8.5in}
    \usepackage{fullpage}
    \usepackage{lettrine}
    \usepackage{yfonts}
    \usepackage{color}
    \usepackage{fancyhdr}
    \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
    \usepackage{gregoriotex}
    \usepackage{gregoriosyms}
    \usepackage{palatino}
    \usepackage{parallel} %two column layout on each page

\usepackage[pdftex, bookmarks, colorlinks=false, pdftitle={Ordinary of the Mass}, pdfborder={0 0 0},
    pdfauthor={St. Francis Chapel}]{hyperref}
    %% args: leftmargin, top, right, bottom; headheight, headsep, footheight, footskip
    \setmarginsrb{0.6cm}{0.25cm}{0.6cm}{0.5cm}%
    {15pt}{15pt}{0cm}{0pt}
    \input mass-ordinary-booklet-conf.tex
    \begin{document}
    \chead[\fancystyle{ORDINARY OF THE MASS}]{}%
    \rhead[]{\fancystyle{\thepage}}%
    \lhead[\fancystyle{\thepage}]{}%

etc.