Why "I" hymns and songs do not belong in the Catholic church.
  • "You will also notice when we begin the creed we will be using the singular pronoun “I” instead of “We”. This change is calling us to make a personal profession of our faith."

The Church is not one person.

The Church is many people, a universal body.

This view has, unfortunately, changed at times.

The word AMEN has served for centuries so that when things are sung or spoken not be the entire assembly, but antiphonally, at the end they all affirm that they all agree and support what the others have sung/said.

The change from We to I is unfortunate.

I am the Bread of Life.
    No, you're not. Don't even think it.

Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • CharlesW
    We are many parts...
  • The credal restoration of the first person is just that: a restoration, not a change.

The creed as we have received it says credo in unum Deum... not credamus...

Notwithstanding, Noel, your point, generally, is very well made and taken; particularly as it concerns other things (note that I said 'other things') that we sing in the mass.
    Thanked by 2Ben CCooze
  • I have no problem with there being "I's" in sung pieces, as long as they end with or otherwise are formatted, "Says the Lord."

Many of our antiphons are like this.
  • donr
    "I" couldn't agree with you more Andrew. I had a nice discussion about this the other day.
    although there are antiphons that do not add "Says the Lord" or similar, I can not bring myself to speak in the person of Christ. I am not the Lord, and I shouldn't play one at Mass, that is the priests role.

However, we are ministers of the Word so there will be times when it is called for (in an Antiphon) that I will sing it that way.

However, the point are hymns and songs that use the do this like the aforementioned "I am the Bread of Life"... I would never program this song for a lot of reasons.
    Or "We are One Body" for a communion song. It simply will never happen for me.

There are so many more options to sing during the Mass: The Proper Antiphon; A hymn of praise or thanksgiving; or some other piece related to the readings or theme of the Mass.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    One of the Communion antiphons this week states "I am the bread of life ..." therefore our Communion hymn is the song of the same title. We are singing a form of the proper this week.

Singing in the voice of God has a venerable tradition in the liturgy.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • BenBen
    Singing in the voice of God has a venerable tradition in the liturgy.

Yes.

Want to use the voice of God in a song or hymn? Go right ahead. Quite frequently, the propers do exactly this. There's obviously nothing wrong with it, otherwise the music of the liturgy itself wouldn't do it.

But don't put words into God's mouth. Either you should be quoting directly from scripture, or not singing in the voice of God at all.

That's one reason I would program "I am the bread of life" before programming "I received the living God," because of the verses

Just my 2¢
    Yes, I agree with that.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • Ben,

Quote from Scripture, and keep the original context. Else: "Cain killed his brother Abel; Go thou and do likewise".

The music must be suited for the liturgy, and for the text which it presents. Take On Eagle's Wings as Exhibit A in the massive evidence of how the Devil can quote Holy Writ. The composer does exactly what the Devil does with the text when he quotes the Psalm in the Gospel.
    Thanked by 2noel jones, aago Ben
  • donr
    I am singing that Communion Antiphon this week PAX. Notice the words. "I am the bread of life, says the Lord" So it is making a statement and making it very clear that you are not the Lord, but that the Lord said this.
    In the song which I believe you are singing it does not say anything about who is singing it to whom and why. We are assuming that it is Lord, but again why would we sing or talk for the Lord when it is the priests role at Mass to do so?
    The readers don't read the Gospel the priest does. There is a reason for this. Although I know that we are part of the royal priesthood it is certainly not our place at Mass.

There are some but very, very few Antiphons and/or Psalms that the choir speaks for the Lord and doesn't give him the credit for it.
  • BenBen
    Quote from Scripture, and keep the original context. Else: "Cain killed his brother Abel; Go thou and do likewise".

Yup, agreed.
  • BenBen
    There are some but very, very few Antiphons and/or Psalms that the choir speaks for the Lord and doesn't give him the credit for it.

But there are some, which means there must be nothing wrong with the concept.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • But there are some, which means there must be nothing wrong with the concept.

Ah, come on, Ben.

There is huge (insert your expletive here) difference between Leopold songwriter sitting at the Marina, chugging a cold one and getting a really great idea for a song with an I text out of his sodden brain, and one from Scripture, which has a different source.

It's not the concept, it's the source.
  • donr
    Ben, I disagree somewhat. The few times that I found are in the Lenten season. When I come across these I usually just have the choir sing them without congregation joining in.
    Like I said we are a ministry and I do understand we are capable of proclaiming the word of God.
    However, there is a very fine line. I will not presume to speak for God unless he (or his Church) tells me its Ok to do so.

The differences between the Antiphon "I am the bread of Life, Says the Lord" and the song "I am the Bread of Life, who comes to me shall not hunger" are stark, IMO.

• BenBen
    When I come across these [with the voice of God in the proper chant], I usually just have the choir sing them without congregation joining in.

Don, the church has never required (or even suggested this). It's simply something you are doing. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but don't think that you have any sort of obligation to do so.

I will not presume to speak for God unless he (or his Church) tells me its Ok to do so.

I'm not sure what your hangup about this is, Don. Nothing official in the church has ever forbade it, because it's clearly allowed by the church.

Look at the Lent II communion, Visionem. Direct quotation of christ on the mountaintop. Or how about the introit for lent III, Dum sanctificatus fuero. Another direct quotation of the Lord. Or the Communion Qui mihi ministrat. Or Oportet te and Simile est regnum cælorum (if you include christ speaking the parable as words he spoke, which they are). Or very directly in Nemo te condemnavit. Or even on palm sunday, with Pater, si non potest. Or Pater, cum essem? Postula a me? Amen dico vobis: Quod uni? Amen dico vobis, quidquid?

Not all of those are in lent (not that this really matters). All of these propers use the voice of God. None of these propers follow it with "says the Lord."

It's simple logic:

1) The congregation and choir can sing the propers.
    2) Some of the propers speak in the voice of God.
    3) Therefore: It is not wrong for them to sing the voice of God.

Again, of course, many songs using God's voice shouldn't be used. But that's not a condemnation of using the voice of God, that's a condemnation of using stupid hymns.

Like I said, all of these examples are explicitly scriptural. Once you depart from that and still try and use the voice of God, I agree there's problems. But if you are using scripture, there's clearly no problem using it, congregation, choir, cantor, anyone.

Also, what about the old testament readings where the Lord speaks? Are lay readers not allowed to proclaim those? Of course they are.

I understand your sentiment, but your logic is flawed.
  • chonakchonak
    Isn't the permission for the congregation to sing the propers relatively new (1958) and not really easy to implement: perhaps unrealistic to implement (except with simplified versions such as SEP)?
  • BenBen
    Even if that is the case, Don still believes that even the choir should be wary about speaking in the voice of God:
    I can not bring myself to speak in the person of Christ. I am not the Lord, and I shouldn't play one at Mass, that is the priests role.
  • And that's a problem?

I'd prefer his approach to yours...it never harms to be very conservative when fooling with God-stuff.

Let's all sing On Eagles Wings.
  • BenBen
    And that's a problem? I'd prefer his approach to yours...it never harms to be very conservative when fooling with God-stuff.

My approach is simply to look at what the church has clearly and explicitly allowed, and do that. What's to dislike about my approach?

By his standard, he wouldn't sing some proper chants out of the Graduale Romanum or Liber Usualis because they supposedly aren't suitable for Mass. Say that out loud and think about how silly that sounds: not all gregorian propers are suitable for Mass?

Well, as shown above, there's clearly no problem with the choir singing the voice of God. I just showed you a dozen proper chants above where it happens, with complete approval of the Church. And that's not an exhaustive list, that's just what I found in 10 minutes.

If you're not quoting scripture, I'm as cautious as anyone about it. I'm fully with you there. That's why I said above that I'm uncomfortable with the verses of "I received the Living God." They use the voice of God without being strictly scriptural.

But as for quoting scripture directly, clearly the church has seen absolutely nothing wrong with the practice, so neither do I. Not sure what is questionable about this practice.

If you disagree, try and show me just one document that hints at anything negative toward it. Just one document. It's a thought rooted in piety, but that doesn't make it a sound liturgical principle.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Andrew Motyka
  • Some of these hang-ups have the whiff of one of those traditionalist sects -- was it the CMRI? -- where worshipers were ordered to shuffle out of the chapel backwards so as to avoid turning their backs on the Eucharistic Lord. Yes, we should have reverence for the Blessed Sacrament. No, we don't need to invent bizarre new rules unheard of in the past, and then whine that people who don't follow these novelties are irreverent liberals.

Same goes for singing scriptural texts.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Ben
  • francis
    I think Ben is onto it. Speaking first person as prescribed by the official texts is fine. Noel is also right. When you start making up hymns and songs that speak in the first person, that is just wrong. No one can speak for God, or make up words that he 'might' say, unless of course, you are a prophet sent by God himself.
  • donr
    I just want to say that I will sing the proper text and will not leave out an introit, offertory, or communion antiphon because it speaks in the person of Christ if that is what the church has specified.
    Like I said we are ministers of the Word and I get that.

My hang up is more with the song "I am the bread of Life", "I the Lord of Sea and Sky", etc.

However, Ben talks about the old Testament, The Jews never even used the name of the Lord in the New Testament. Catholics never did either until recent centuries, then Pope Emeritus Benedict asked us to stop the practice and we ripped it out of all our hymnals.
    So its not OK to say the name of the Lord but its Ok to Speak for him? that what does make any sense.

When we repeat something from the Old Testament we are quoting a profit not a direct quote from God. Jesus on the other hand is God himself.

You do whatever you want, its permissible, so do it (just like option 4). however, I am not worthy to speak for the Lord at Holy Mass, its the priest job.
  • donr
    Here is what the GIRM has to say about the reading of the Gospel ("The actual words of the Lord").

60. T he reading of the Gospel constitutes the high point of the Liturgy of the Word. The Liturgy itself teaches the great reverence that is to be shown to this reading by setting it off from the other readings with special marks of honor, by the fact of which minister is appointed to proclaim it and by the blessing or prayer with which he prepares himself; and also by the fact that through their acclamations the faithful acknowledge and confess that Christ is present and is speaking to them and stand as they listen to the reading; and by the mere fact of the marks of reverence that are given to the Book of
    the Gospels.

So again why (besides where the church asks us to sing it: ie antiphons) would we sing as Christ himself.

I don't think its right IMHO.

But to each his own there is no teaching on this, its just my opinion.
    Regarding singing words not SPECIFICALLY quoted to Jesus, as in "I Received the Living God:" There's also a such thing in music and poetry as poetic license.

It is certainly not offensive to attribute, in poetry, words to Jesus that coincide with the ideas he taught. Now if someone is singing "Jesus said a master race I seek," I'm right there with you in opposing this!!! But when the text says "Jesus said 'I am the bread, kneaded long to give you life,'" there should be no opposition. It is poetry and it is in line with everything that Jesus did say.

I've used the example before, but Jesus Christ is not an apple tree either. I don't think anyone who hears that song would really believe that he literally is. It's poetry.
    Thanked by 2Gavin MTK1980
  • francis
    PGA said:

But when the text says "Jesus said 'I am the bread, kneaded long to give you life,'" there should be no opposition.

Plenty of opposition there. Here is why. Jesus never said, nor intended to mean that the Eucharist was to focus SOLELY on the fact that it is bread to the theological downplay of it being his flesh and blood. It is precisely this kind of errant (ambiguous) theology that is promoted by protestantism and winds up distorting and ultimately departing from the faith. This is the very thing (correct me if I am wrong Noel) that Noel is addressing. Jesus is not the bread 'kneaded long'. Sorry.
  • Jesus never said, nor intended to mean that the Eucharist was to focus SOLELY on the fact that it is bread to the theological downplay of it being his flesh and blood.

Does every single line of poetry about the Blessed Sacrament need to contain a full confession of Eucharistic theology? You'd be hard pressed to find a single acceptable hymn.
  • In yet another comment, he addressed an old controversy about the role of "voice of God" music at Mass, pointing out that ordinary chants are directed toward addressing God whereas the chants of the propers do in fact use the voice of God - and this has implications for whether the congregation ought to be singing propers rather than the chants assigned to them in the ritual structure. This was the first new thought on this topic in twenty years, and it absolutely blew me away.

http://www.chantcafe.com/2011/03/faculty-profile-william-mahrt.html
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • FOUND IT, I thought I was going crazy for a minute ...

mahrt:
    There is another precedent to take into consideration, the distinction between proper and ordinary. In the tradition, the texts of the Ordinary are sung by the whole congregation, and they do not include any "Voice of God" texts; the texts of the Proper are sung by the choir, and thus present the words of God to the congregation, rather than asking them to sing them.

http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/4746/voice-of-god-revisited

In other words:
    Propers = choir ("voice of God" is okay)
    Ordinary = congregation (listens to "voice of God")

• yes, that's a good point regarding the restoration, where "I" makes the text a more personal accountability, "I confess," "I believe." Thank you.
  • francis
    Does every single line of poetry about the Blessed Sacrament need to contain a full confession of Eucharistic theology? You'd be hard pressed to find a single acceptable hymn.
    Unfortunately, the opposite is the case... we are today, hard pressed to find the Eucharist as being proclaimed as the flesh and blood sacrificial offering (in newer hymns and songs). I would wager to say you couldn't count it on the fingers of two hands, and perhaps even one. Yet, that is the CENTER theological foundation of the liturgy and the faith itself.
  • Oh, I agree with that, Melo francis, and I wasn't even debating the merits of "I Received..." per se. I just want to point out that pointing out a single line, or a single verse, or even a whole hymn, and saying that it doesn't contain the sum of all Eucharistic theology isn't necessarily a fair criterion. There are many things a hymn can focus on without denying an essential truth.

That said, I hear you when it comes to the general emphasis of most new Eucharistic hymnody. Taken as a whole, the repertoire is lacking.
  • francis
    Andrew:

I am not sure I am speaking for Melo, but, heh... isn't the first time!
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • kenstb
    Francis, whether you're speaking for Melo or not, I agree with you.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Given that the liturgy constitutes a theological source of its own, it is a part of the way the Sacred Tradition is communicated, it seems very questionable to make up new words in the voice of God, doubly so if we are asking the congregation to sing them.

The words the congregation sings at mass are most likely the words that will stick with them when they walk away from mass. Do we really want them wondering around with a fictional Jesus quote in their heads?
    Thanked by 3Gavin francis CHGiffen
  • francis
    StephenMatthew

You are right... we probably don't want them wondering OR wandering around.
  • bonniebede
    1. Hymns with words expressing dodgy theology abound, and are not confined to words using 'I' or the voice of the Lord. (Circle of friends all around you...!!!)
    2. With Ben on this... what the propers do, must have merit
    3. I tend to think of the music at Mass (whether Propers or substituted hymns) in the same sort of way as we pray the psalms in the office, as an opportunity to extend our meditation on the mysteries of God, by mulling over scripture texts. Think how often in the office we chant psalms which only make sense if prayed in a Christological sense. But isn't that primarily how we are to pray them?
    4. Scriptures as a basis of our rites will always be problematic if those participating in the rite are lacking so basic an education as not to be able to have some grasp of the four senses of scripture (CCC115-119) and so cannot place them in the proper frame for understanding. However abandoning the scriptures because of this does what the reformers of the 'spirit of Vatican 2' type did, dumbing things down instead of seeking the elevation of the participants through better catechesis.
    5. All scripture is God's word ... whether or not its literary form is 'I am the bread of life' or otherwise... and mostly the propers are scripture. With psalms of course.
    6. All active participants in the liturgy should be filling their minds with it, whether they are singing in the schola or listening in the congregation is immaterial.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen