Hymn harmonisations for 3 voices?
  • hartleymartin
    Are there any standard hymn harmonisations for 3 voices? It would be useful for some groups I am working with.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    A three-part harmonization of a hymn seems reasonable only if it is to be sung a cappella or would be accompanied by just three (single voice) instruments. In the presence of organ (or other keyboard) accompaniment, it would suffice for members of the group to sing 3 out of the 4 parts (e.g. SAT, SAB, or STB) of a 4-part harmonization.

In my "junior choir" days, I recall singing hymns with just the SA parts of a standard SATB harmonization, sometimes even without accompaniment. It just might work in some cases to sing 3 out of the 4 parts (of a standard SATB harmonization) without accompaniment.

But, no, I don't know of any 3-part standard hymn settings.
  • hartleymartin
    It's for a particular project and I don't imagine that this would be a common thing.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I don't imagine that this would be a common thing.

Exactly.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Concordia had such a 3-part collection. Can't look now but it might have been appended to Vol. 1 of The Parish Organist. I don't recall if it was singable, the number of voices being for the comfort of beginning organists
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen