Parishes in Chicagoland and Madison, WI with strong music programs
  • Heath
    I have some former students who are re-locating to the following areas:

-Evanston, IL
    -Oak Park/River Forest, IL
    -Madison, WI

I'm hoping to give them suggestions of parishes with strong music programs. They're open to parishes with a "blended" approach, as well.

Suggestions, friends? Thanks! PM me if you'd like.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    St. Mary in Pine Bluff in the Madison area
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    If they want a more "blended" music ministry, St. Thomas Aquinas on Madison's west side would be the best.
  • Heath
    St. Mary's, Aristotle's parish! Of course!
  • henry
    St John Cantius, Chicago; Holy Name Cathedral, Chicago
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • daniel
    Shrine of Christ the King, Chicago
  • BenBen
    In Madison, there isn't a ton of great options for traditional parishes, but the Cathedral is above average musically (basically hymn and motet based program, better than most, but nothing too amazing). St. Mary's in Pine Bluff (just 10 minutes west of Madison) is amazing. As Heath said, it's Aristotle Esguerra's parish where he's the MD, and mine as well. Tons of amazing things happening there, musically, liturgically, and in every other way. It's growing quickly. It's a music program with the propers, gregorian chant, organ, and sung prayers as it's core. In other words, the priorities the church places for us as our ideals for a music program.

And as of a few weeks ago, St. Mary's now offers both forms of the Roman Rite, both celebrated with the celebrant and congregation united in prayer facing the same direction.

St. Andrew's in Verona (also just outside of Madison) might be another good option for a "blended" mass.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I know that St. Clement in Chicago has an excellent music program, complete with a mechanical action Cassavant that Richard Proulx played for one of his GIA recordings.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    My understanding is that the parish in Verona used to be a good option for a "blended" Mass.