Hymns for Protesting?
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    I need suggestions for hymns to use for a protest of an upcoming event. Ecumenical, preferably. Since the details of the event are touchy, please PM me and I'll fill you in on them.
  • Chrism
    We live in a relativist age in which it pays to be positive.

With that in mind there's a lot of repertoire to choose from.

Even secular stuff:

(Just beware what might happen if the artist is pressured to disassociate himself from you.)
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Can you provide ANY other details?

Is your PARISH actually protesting an event, or are you personally?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    "But WHAT are you protesting?"

What d'ya got?
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • CharlesW
    One, two, three what are we fighting for?
    Thanked by 1RPBurke
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Am I the only CMAA member to have ever heard Country Joe and the Fish sing that live?
  • CharlesW
    I may still have a protest sign stashed somewhere. LOL.
    I still have some protest buttons that I used to wear from my college days.

And, no, I'm not talking Vietnam, for those of you old enough to remember LBJ. I'm talking about Bush and Iraq, circa. 2003.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • CharlesW
    Hey hey, ho ho...
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    Country Joe and the Fish--WOW--they were at Woodstock!
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    PGA, that reminds me of the time we saw an anti-war rally in front of our local mall circa 2003. Having four teen-age sons at the time, we were becoming increasingly wary of all the pro-war talk so we straight-laced, square conservatives joined hands with the guys with their long-hair and tied-dye shirts and the Code Pink ladies for a few minutes and raah-raahed with them. It was a strange but exhilarating experience.
  • oldhymnsoldhymns
    I have a CD entitled "Songs of Protest." (all songs from the mid-to-late 60s). You may want to check some of this out. The content follows:

Where Have All the Flowers Gone, The Kingston Trio
    Eve of Destruction, Barry McGuire
    With God on Our Side, Manfred Mann
    Universal Soldier, Donovan
    Laugh at Me, Sonny Bono
    Let Me Be, The Turtles
    It's Good News Week, Hedgehoppers Anonymous
    I Ain't Marchin' Anymore, Phil Ochs
    The "Fish" Cheer/I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die Rag, Country Joe & The Fish
    People Got to be Free, The Rascals
    Sky Pilot, Eric Burdon & The Animals
    Society's Child, Janis Ian
    Abraham, Martin, and John, Dion
    Ball of Confusion, The Temptations
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
    PGA, that reminds me of the time we saw an anti-war rally in front of our local mall circa 2003. Having four teen-age sons at the time, we were becoming increasingly wary of all the pro-war talk so we straight-laced, square conservatives joined hands with the guys with their long-hair and tied-dye shirts and the Code Pink ladies for a few minutes and raah-raahed with them. It was a strange but exhilarating experience.

That's awesome!

Yeah, those were some dark days - that whole era, 9/11 through the Iraq war and Bush presidency. It always amazed me at how pro-war some of these extremely pro-life people were. Of course if the children, both in the womb and out, aren't white and American, they have no value at all to some of these people.

Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I'm afraid the dark days aren't over, PGA. I became kind of a news junkie after my son Peter began explaining all the ins and out of American politics to me---I never used to have the time or interest in it----but I don't like looking at the headlines any more. Now I'd far rather look at music scores on CPDL. : )
    Well, I think we'll ALWAYS have somewhat "dark" days. Let's face it, NEITHER party looks out for authentically Catholic positions.

The one thing I was glad about though was to see the momentum of those policies stopped. Now we have other, equally bad problems to worry about. But at least what was already bad didn't keep getting worse and worse.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I think that's about the best spin possible on current events, PGA.
  • SalieriSalieri
    oldhymns - I'm sure someone here can produce a Sunday Mass music list from that time with the exact same titles...
    PGA,

It's a protest in defense of traditional marriage.
    Thanked by 3Chrism JulieColl chonak
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    How about Sing a New Church Into Being?

"Male and female, in God's image; male and female, God's delight."
  • Chrism
    a CD entitled "Songs of Protest." (all songs from the mid-to-late 60s)

Sorry, can't help but think of:

...more here
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Chrism
    It's a protest in defense of traditional marriage.

Here are some suggestions for NFP Awareness week:

For the Beauty of the Earth
    Now Thank We All Our God
    The King of Love My Shepherd Is

A few other thoughts:

America the Beautiful ("confirm thy soul in self-control")
    God Bless America
    We Shall Overcome (given the state of the movement)

Then there's this. Seems ecumenical enough, and vaguely in favor of natural law. No reason for the other side to have it.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Kathy's hymn would be a good choice then, right from the first stanza:

At the dawning of creation,
      God divided light from shade,
    And he made us, male and female.
      In His image we were made.

• JulieCollJulieColl
    How about a rousing rendition of God of Grace and God of Glory (Cum Rhondda). You gotta love verses 2-4. They don't spare any punches.

1 God of grace and God of glory,
    on thy people pour thy power;
    crown thine ancient church's story;
    bring its bud to glorious flower.
    Grant us wisdom, grant us courage,
    for the facing of this hour,
    for the facing of this hour.

2 Lo! the hosts of evil round us
    scorn thy Christ, assail his ways!
    From the fears that long have bound us
    free our hearts to faith and praise.
    for the living of these days,
    for the living of these days.

3 Cure thy children's warring madness;
    bend our pride to thy control;
    shame our wanton, selfish gladness,
    rich in things and poor in soul.
    lest we miss thy kingdom's goal,
    lest we miss thy kingdom's goal.

4 Save us from weak resignation
    to the evils we deplore.
    Let the gift of thy salvation
    be our glory evermore.
    serving thee whom we adore,
    serving thee whom we adore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oevNjFeWUyQ
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Some more English hymns:

Jesus Shall Reign
    I Want to Walk as a Child of the Light
    The Church's One Foundation
    God of Our Fathers, Whose Almighty Hand
    Faith of Our Fathers
    All Glory, Laud and Honor
    Hail, Holy Queen

If you're going to be there a while at the protest, perhaps some Gregorian chant would not be amiss:

Ubi caritas
    Gloria, Laus et Honor Tibi Sit
    Salve Regina
    Ave Maria
    Lucis Creator Optime
    Vexilla Regis Prodeunt
    Veni, Creator Spiritus

Update:
    Parce, Domine
    Attende Domine
  • Chrism
    It is tricky. Pope Benedict encouraged us to use natural law arguments rather than religious arguments to defend the traditional definition of marriage as a lifelong union between one man and one woman for the purpose of procreation and union between the husband and wife.

The more religious we appear the more we fall into the trap of being seen as imposing religion on minorities.

The French example of counter-protest has managed to retain a secular character.
    OP, PLEASE take this as it's meant; lately we've had some people get quite over sensitive here when questioned. Please understand that I'm not attacking you or anything of the sort.

Can I encourage you to NOT protest such a thing? Your true "protest" will be in not attending the original event that you plan to protest.

I fear that by actively protesting, you are furthering the narrative that the Church is "the Church of 'no'" I believe that we need to be more positive, and look for more opportunities for dialogue, rather than trying to protest against things and always shut things down.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I think that while we can still exercise our First Amendment rights, we ought to use everything in our arsenal, every true argument and every true angle we can think of.

Not for nothing, but apropos this question of what and how much we should be proclaiming to the world in defense of the most basic moral issues, I just started reading Pope Pius XI's encyclical Quas Primas which deals with a subject commonly referred to as the doctrine of the Kingship of Christ, so this seems like an opportune time to take a look at what the Church has taught in this area.

(Lest anyone be tempted to think this doctrine is outdated, I think it's helpful to recall that Vatican II, in its Constitution on Religious Liberty stated in the beginning of the document that all previous magisterial teaching on the subject is to be reaffirmed.)
    Thanked by 2StimsonInRehab Gavin
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    . . . and in the spirit of Quas Primas, I think this might be the perfect anthem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfuBREMXxts
    Thanked by 2Chrism francis
  • Chrism
    If you want to use everything in the arsenal, how about:

Battle Hymn of the Republic
    Why Should Vain Mortals Tremble
    Svyashchennaya Voyna

;-)
    Thanked by 2JulieColl Gavin
  • donr
    PAX, I understand what you are saying but we have to protest. If we do not no one will think we care about the issue, any issue.
    Abortion, Marriage, HHS, people need to know the CC stands up for its morals.
    More Catholics should be organizing/attending these protests so that other catholics join the fight.
    We have been timid for to long and its about time the church militant became more militant (peacefully of course).
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Ha, ha, Chrism. All kidding aside, anyone who believes in Quas primas today really is a believer because this encyclical, perennially valid---I'm sure we all remember that expression, the 'hermeneutic of continuity'----challenges us to think more deeply and go beyond what might be called "have a nice day theology," and I'm sure we all know what that is, but I think the doctrine of the Kingship of Christ as enunciated by Pope Pius XI and confirmed by Vatican II really does have some important implications.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    P.S. (Sorry to pop up again, but this is a great topic and one I think about a lot.) Perhaps the best presentation of Catholic faith is the Salesian way: veritas in caritate which I interpret to mean present your belief right upfront with courage and honesty but in a spirit of love, joy, and peace---kind of like Oddball in the Dirty Dozen.

Drive a Sherman tank but play Country Western and lob paintballs instead of bombs.
    More Catholics should be organizing/attending these protests so that other catholics join the fight.

I just don't believe that this will be effective. What are you hoping to accomplish?

More protesting, yelling in the streets, and carrying signs is exactly what we don't need.

Pope Francis has talked about turning down the volume, so to speak, on the "culture war" and "fighting the good fight" kind of talk. I really think that he's on to something.

We should demonstrate ways of Holy living by our own lives and witness, not by brow-beating others with whom we do not agree.
    I appreciate your concern, PAX, but considering the notoriety this event has garnered over the past few years, we felt that a public act of reparation for the sake of our community would be the most charitable act we could do.

Our bishop encouraged his diocese by saying "[I]f we hold our tongues about holy and fruitful marriage, legislators might imagine we don’t care about marriage. Or our children.” St. Thomas More stated "qui tacet consentire videtur" - "he who is silent is seen to give consent." Well, we don't consent, for the sake of the souls of those attending. Francis said turn down the volume, he didn't say to turn it off completely. You don't have to go at this either aggressively or passively, we're trying to state the Faith in an assertive way. (Our group has specifically asked those with a hot temper to stay home from this protest and pray.)

This whole argument is the exact reason I was asking for hymns to sing, especially those of a penitential nature on our own part, in place of "yelling in the streets". Singing hymns to God on behalf of ourselves and our neighbors is the most charitable and human thing a group of Christians can do - a great example of holy living and witness.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Well, this really is a providential discussion and is bringing up some issues that for some reason or other have not received the attention they deserve in the postConciliar years.

Now our friend Stimson is taking part in a protest vs. gay marriage while our other cautious friend, PGA, urges us to smoke an ecclesiastical peace pipe and focus on good examples and happy thoughts on what unites us rather than what divides us and basically refrain from emanating negative waves, man. (Something I have alot of sympathy with usually.)

I can't think of anything that unites us more as Catholics than the common profession of Faith illustrated so well in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Now this discussion has afforded an opportunity to go to the CCC and see what it teaches concerning what traditional moral theologians used to call 'sodomy.'

I was really surprised to learn that this is actually listed by the CCC as "one of the four sins that cry to heaven for vengeance."

Now I don't know what PGA thinks of the term "cries to heaven for vengeance" but that's what the CCC says, reminding us that God so hated (uh, oh, that's another troubling expression) this sin that He actually destroyed the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah because of it and turned the plain of Sodom into this:

The whole land will be covered with salt pits and burning sulfur, with nothing planted, nothing sprouting, and producing no vegetation (Deut. 29:23)

So, I think our friend Stimson is on the right track and is acting in a way that reflects the tone and tenor of the CCC's teaching on this issue.

Another question for another thread is why we never hear that the sin of Sodomy cries to heaven for vengeance but suffice to say this: Just because we never hear about this Biblical truth, does that make it any less real or true?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It's also a good opportunity to proselytize your Protestant fellow-protestors (evangelize the Evangelicals) who may be right about Marriage, but wrong on so many other things.

Just sayin'.
  • CharlesW
    Another question for another thread is why we never hear that the sin of Sodomy cries to heaven for vengeance but suffice to say this: Just because we never hear about this Biblical truth, does that make it any less real or true?

How many other sins do we not hear about anymore? How about divorce? If John the Baptist were alive today, he would not be put to death. Good old John would say, "I understand Herod, how tempting your brother's wife was to you. Let's go see the marriage tribunal and get everything squared away. It's not a big deal. We can fix this." So what was once a sin - divorce - is now fixed by annulment - Catholic divorce. So much for the Church holding fast to "truth." BTW, just what is in that ecclesiastical peace pipe anyway? ;-)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
    You don't get any argument from this corner about the necessity for reform re:Church annulments - but that's something to be addressed in due time.

BTW, just what is in that ecclesiastical peace pipe anyway? ;-)

High Grade Jerusalem Frankincense, of course!
  • CharlesW
    LOL
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    LOL, Charles. Darned if I know what they're all smoking.

Speaking of annulments, have you ever heard of the book, Shattered Faith, Sheila Rauch Kennedy's harrowing experience with th annulment process? It's a true cautionary tale about so-called Catholic divorce.
  • donr
    Charles it seems that you are a little bitter on the annulment process.
    This also belongs in another thread or another forum but you do know that annulments are not Catholic divorce right?
    There is no separating what God has joined together. The Church is simply declaring that a union never really happened in the first place.
    It might not seem like a difference but it is a huge difference. Annulments are not just handed out and I know a lot of people who are very upset at the church for denying their Catholic divorce.
    Quit your 'Meanness' indeed . . . this is the Church of NICE!
    Now our friend Stimson is taking part in a protest vs. gay marriage while our other cautious friend, PGA, urges us to smoke an ecclesiastical peace pipe and focus on good examples and happy thoughts on what unites us rather than what divides us and basically refrain from emanating negative waves, man. (Something I have alot of sympathy with usually.)

HA, well, that's a bit of a caricature, obviously, but I do think there's something to all this talk I sometimes hear about how Jesus wasn't the "culture warrior" type and how he often sought to unite, not divide - you know, eating at sinners' houses with them, and all that. I know someone will come along now and find that verse that says "Do not think I've come to bring peace, but a sword..."

These are hard issues, and they call for just the right kind of nuance. I don't claim to have the answers or to definitively know what that nuance is.

I do know that "gay sins" get a lot more attention from some quarters than most any other sin; I also know, that generally speaking, the Church, especially in America, has an image problem and could do with being seen as "kindler, gentler," as opposed to being "ready to fight."

On this very same note, I'm so very relieved that they closed the neighborhood abortion clinic down. I'm very relieved, of course, because of what is no longer going on inside there. But I'm also a bit relieved that the tension in the neighborhood is gone. In a place where community interaction is VITAL to seeing our urban neighborhood succeed, it just wasn't good to have a neighbor with whom we had to be constantly at odds. Hell, we get along with the local head shop up the street that sells pipes to be used "only for tobacco." But, an abortion clinic is a whole different animal, one that we had to engage. And I'm very glad that we no longer have to engage a neighbor like that - because they are no longer our neighbor.
    Thanked by 1donr
  • CharlesW
    I have no bitterness toward annulments and have not personally experienced them. I know someone whose long-term marriage was annulled for the most frivolous of reasons. The annulment grounds were preposterous.

What I was getting at above, was that the Church emphasizes the wrongness of particular sins more at some times than at others. There are sins that are the fashionable topics to attack, then they go out of fashion and something else gets the limelight. It's been that way for 2,000 years. Name the sin you want to righteously hate, and there is a time period when folks took to the street to condemn it. There is probably a cultural context at work in this somewhere. So far, I have lived through the divorce wars, the birth control wars, the abortion wars, and it seems the same sex marriage wars are the current item of contention.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • donr
    I think the wars you hit are still the current wars and they are fought tirelessly by many in our communities.
    I do agree that the contraception war has kind of taken a back seat to the abortion war but the war is still there.
    The divorce wars were being fought at a time when everyone was following the Hollywood scene and the 60's and 70's free love thing was going on. But again that war is still out there.

I do agree with you that there are ebbs and flows to wars, but isn't that the case in any war?
  • CharlesW
    I like "Quit Your Meanness." I am saving this one for future reference. ;-)
  • CharlesW

I do agree with you that there are ebbs and flows to wars, but isn't that the case in any war?

I agree on the ebbs and flows. As I mentioned, there is a cultural context at work. I suspect the Church fathers were pulling their collective hair out over ingrained practices in Roman culture and making little headway on some of them.

Having been through some of the wars, it is easy to say a plague on all their houses and avoid it all.
    By the way, PAX, since you mentioned protesting the Iraq War, I must ask - did you ever read Neo-Conned! ?