Definition of published
  • If I post a PDF file of self-composed chants to the internet, using texts from The Roman Missal, Revised Grail Psalms, and/or Lectionary, without profiting from the composition and licensing it so no one else may profit, and without having it published by any publisher, is it considered "published"? Do I need to have it "Published with the approval of the Committee on Divine Worship United States Conference of Catholic Bishops"? Do I need to get Gratis Permission to post the Revised Grail Psalms?
  • chonakchonak
    Posting something on the internet is a form of publishing, even if you post it directly and are not working with a publishing firm, and even if you are doing so on a non-profit basis.

For copyright purposes, it's best to be thorough and respectful of the owners' rights, so you can check through the respective sites for their policies and rules. In some cases, they don't require advance permission or payment, which is helpful.

The USCCB's permissions policy is here (for Lectionary texts):
    http://www.usccb.org/bible/permissions/

GIA's policy for the Revised Grail Psalms is here:
    http://www.giamusic.com/sacred_music/RGP/GrailLicense.cfm

ICEL's permissions policy info is here (for Roman Missal texts):
    http://www.icelweb.org/copyright.htm

In regard to getting USCCB permission for liturgical use, the Committee for Divine Worship has been delegating the task of review and permission-granting to the dioceses, so check with your diocesan office for worship for guidance about procedures.
  • If I tell someone to contact me for the music, and not post it online, will that count as published?
  • chonakchonak
    If you don't make something available to the public, you haven't published it. However, mere copying may be a copyright infraction.

It's sad that publishers' threats to sue or criminally prosecute copyright violations have left people so intimidated and confused. Ordinary people are left not knowing what is lawful and what is not.

We are not lawyers here, so the best thing we can do is refer you to the guides prepared by various experts. For example, this college library site has some guides about copyright:
    http://www.library.wisc.edu/help/copyright/

Also, you can find out about the permissions that the various publishers (above) offer for free. Those may be enough to let you do what you need to do.
  • We are not lawyers here, though many of us could play one on TV.

Chonak's good advice is always useful!

Do I need to have it "Published with the approval of the Committee on Divine Worship United States Conference of Catholic Bishops"?

It's becoming fashionable to pursue this, but this has been totally ignored for years and years.

Do I need to get Gratis Permission to post the Revised Grail Psalms?
    The Grail is quite open to posting of theirs as long as there is no financial transaction involved - does not hurt to contact them in the US, let them know what you intend and you will get a very polite response...I apologize for not remembering which publisher has the rights here to do that...in fact, there may be a general permission posted on the website. Aha, REMEMBERED! grail@giamusic.com
  • Stop stressing. Just ask for permission. If you're not selling it in any way, almost everyone will let you use it for free.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I believe we do have an attorney on board, based in Boston IIRC. But I shant disclose that identity out of uncharacteristic prudence.
  • Andrew_Malton
    Use it for free: yes.

But I have certainly been restricted from freely printing or posting on the internet liturgical texts set to my own music. Even when no money was involved.

This is apparently because the copyright and licensing position of the CCCB respecting the Canadian Lectionary is rather complicated, because the NRSV stratum is owned by the NCCUSA, so our Lectionary is a derived work.

Sigh.
    Thanked by 1JaredOstermann
  • francis
    I have been refused the right to publish my own arrangements of other composers works without paying full royalties up front (per piece x print run). I just laughed and stuck the arrangement back in my file cabinet, and the people that requested them, well, I sent them to the publisher. Does not reflect well on them (publisher/copyright holder).

In one case it was just a text to a hymn.