Who Killed Extreme Unction?
  • dad29
    'Denn Alles Fleisch es ist du Gras....'
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen

Denn alles Fleisch es ist wie Gras ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft8to2JZ6pE
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Col. Mustard with the Wrench in the Study....

Or:

The Consilium with the Scissors in the Chapel?
  • chonakchonak
    For what it's worth, the term "Anointing of the Sick" was not invented in the 1960s. It appears in Denzinger, as does "Extreme Unction".

Thanked by 2BruceL MarkThompson
  • CharlesW
    I had the impression that anointing of the sick somehow disappeared into Extreme Unction, when they should have been separate things. True/not true?
  • fcbfcb
    The author of this article seems to know nothing of the history and theology of the sacrament of sick. His argument (really, emoting) seems to be "it doesn't look like it does in movies from the 50s!" And the anecdote he recounts is simply one of a priest not following the prescribed liturgical forms for the rites of the dying (which include, but are not identical with, the anointing of the sick). I would rate the reform of the anointing of the sick as one the whole one of the signal successes of the post-Conciliar reforms.

In all honesty, I'm a bit embarrassed for First Things for allowing this article on their website.
  • CharlesW
    Since Neuhaus went on to his great reward, I think the magazine has gone down somewhat. I don't read it anymore.

Once again, a comma was deleted in the ritual books, so fire will be coming down from heaven. LOL. The fact that something changed is not a bad thing. In this instance, the anointing and last rites had become muddled and confused over time. The reforms were much needed in this instance.
  • Liam
    "Somewhat"? You are being charitable.
  • dad29
    CH: that was exactly my reference, but I misquoted the text a bit.
  • Jani
    Pinning the target to my back....I see nothing wrong with the sentiment of the article, which seems to be concerned with a cheapening of the sacraments. Like everything else in the modern world, offering Extreme Unction under the blanket of über-inclusion simply diminishes the importance of the original (I think!) intent, which is food and consolation for the final journey.

When I first joined my current parish, they didn't do a healing mass per se, but once a month almost everyone processed forward to receive the healing of the sick.

One last thing. Regarding the friend that died- there is not much worse than a seemingly disinterested priest in times of trial. Imagine if you were in the middle of a medical crisis and your physician seemed disinterested. That kind of thing can be devastating.
  • Liam
    Though it's not as if the perfunctory administration of ritual was something utterly alien to preconciliar sacraments . . .
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Disinterested priests seem to be like people who have been in other fields long enough to feel trapped with no reasonable escape. Sad that this happens, but it does.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Well, regarding FIRST THINGS, I believe we waxed over a truly banal, perfunctory and wholly unworthy article about sacred music that was published there not long ago.
  • Like everything else in the modern world, offering Extreme Unction under the blanket of über-inclusion simply diminishes the importance of the original (I think!) intent, which is food and consolation for the final journey.

Don't we have that in our current last rites, which are not limited to anointing, but also include penance and viaticum?
  • francis
    First movement from my Requiem, 'Requiem Aeternum', composed in 2001. Not yet premiered.

see and hear score to Requiem Aeternum by FK
  • The sense of the faithful regarding their reception of sacraments is nothing to be brushed aside as mere emotive nonsense.

The author points to a practice very familiar to folks where I live: this anti-pastoral idea that priests shouldn't offer to hear a confession to a dying person. That approach- in some places treated like a diocesan directive- is profoundly disturbing to many lay faithful and their families.

Perhaps the author isn't as familiar with the sacrament of the sick as it exists. Who can blame her? The a la carte style is unnerving and confusing to lots of people. It would be great to hear it all explained more often.

To my mind, she makes a good observation about the influence of healing-obsessed culture of today that has made an impact on the Church and how this sacrament is administered.

A more casual Catholic or potential convert can easily get a wrong impression. For strength in our usual journey, for assistance carrying our cross, it seems to me that confession and worthy reception of communion more than suffice as healing sacraments.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • fcbfcb
    MCW,

Since we have a sacrament that Trent called "the anointing of the sick," it seems to me that it should be used when people are, well, sick. The restricting of anointing to those in extremis has long be recognized as an aberration based on the idea--which the Church never actually taught--that it could only be received once, and so should be reserved for the moment right before death, lest one miss out on the remission of venial sins that some theologians associated with the sacrament. At least since Pius XI Popes have been saying that it should not be delayed until the recipient is at death door.

Also, as the International Theological Commission recently notes, not every opinion of a Catholic, even a sincere and devout Catholic, constitutes the "sense of the faithful." Certainly the article is "data" concerning how some people think about the sacrament, and provides anecdotal evidence of how some priests today (as in the past) can be jackasses, but that does not make it any more theologically or historically informed.
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • francis
    MACW:

This article goes way beyond just extreme unction and touches on a trend that dumbs down the sacraments, especially penance and the eucharist.

I have found priests who understand the sacramental theology they are responsible to practice, and they are the priests I gravitate towards for the administration of such. Of course, it doesn't matter what the state of the soul of a particular priest, it does not change the nature of sacramental grace, that is, unless the form or the matter is deliberately altered, and then there is indeed question as to whether a sacrament is even confected. But that is a whole different conversation.

But a priest who makes the effort to be all he can be as a priest, well, it is from those shepherds that not only grace is distributed in its fullest fashion but that a soul can receive a surer protection and guide to heavens path.

Jesus' warning about wolves in sheeps clothing was no joke or light matter. He warned us for a reason, which is to avoid the wolves.
  • fcb, an ordained, canon lawyer friend of mine asserts that under the current law the sacrament of the sick is to be reserved for those in danger of death. This refers to people who are not necessarily on their deathbed, but undergoing a severe trial, which has a reasonably high risk of death. Prudential caveats apply.
    The sacrament is not intended to be limited to a one-time act, as you state. Neither is it intended to be administered for less than grave reasons.

The sense of the faithful is not to be over played. Neither is it to be dismissed when the faithful are denied their particular rights to the sacraments.

Francis, I agree with the authors general observation about the dumbing down of sacraments. While one could find lazy priests having a bad day before and after the council, the current trends toward institutionalizing anti-pastoral behavior are disturbing to me.

I've seen people, even branches of families, walking away from the Faith after anecdotes such as the author describes. So I don't dismiss those stories anymore.
  • Liam
    MaryAnn

Well, the canons are not the sole authority; the instructions for the rite of Pastoral Care of the Sick (also a form of pontifical legislation) provide a more generous scope, with the express instruction not to scruple. The canon would be interpreted in light of that, because canonical interpretation is broadened in case of doubt. In any event, one would not have sufficient grounds to directly or indirectly impugn the good faith reliance of ministers of the sacrament on the instructions in the ritual book, even if one wants to argue about the legislator's intent.

PCS 8-12:

8 The Letter of James states that the sick are to be anointed ill order to raise them up and save them. (See Council of Trent, sess. 14, De Extrema Unctione, cap. 2: Denz.- Schön. 1698) Great care and con­cern should be taken to see that those of the faithful whose health is seriously* impaired by sickness or old age receive this sacrament. (Sacrosanctum Concilium 73)

*The word periculose has been carefully studied and rendered as “seriously,” rather than as “gravely,” “dangerously,” or “perilously,” Such a rendering will serve to avoid restric­tions upon the celebration of the sacrament. On the one hand, the sacrament may and should be given to anyone whose health is seriously impaired; on the other hand, it may not be given indiscriminately or to any person whose health is not seriously impaired. >>
    The Church counsels clergy to exercise judgment, and ask a doctor “if necessary.”
    A prudent or reasonably sure judgment, without scruple, is sufficient for deciding on the seriousness of an illness; (See Pius XI, Epist. Explorata res, 2 February 1923: AAS 15 (1923) 103-107) if necessary a doctor may be consulted.

9 The sacrament may be repeated if the sick person recovers after being anointed and then again falls ill or if during the same illness the person’s condition becomes more serious.
    10 A sick person may be anointed before surgery whenever a serious illness is the reason for the surgery.
    11 Elderly people may be anointed if they have become notably weakened even though no serious illness is present.
    12 Sick children may be anointed if they have sufficient use of reason to be strengthened by this sacrament
    Thanked by 1fcb
  • bonniebede
    While I sympathise with the writer of the article with regard to the anecdote he recounts, I would agree that the writer does seem unfamiliar with the options within the rite itself. While some of the prayer and readings are directed towards cases where healing and recovery are the focus of the prayer, other options allow for the situation where the 'healing' is likely to be the resurrection, in that option the prayers and readings have more of an 'extreme unction' sense to them.
    of course priests should be aware of the options within the rites of the sacraments, should be diligent, well formed, and pious, pastorally sensitive, but nonetheless forthright and evangelical, but... this is true for all priests and all sacraments and as I'm not a priest my part on all that is to pray and fast for them, and sometimes teach, and I don't do my bit all that diligently either...
    Also, when studying this in college I was uneasily aware that many of the supposed authorities on the subject had never seen a genuine healing miracle, let alone had one happen while praying for someone. I think the widespread lack of that experience makes it difficult to appreciate what God is doing through this sacrament. On the other hand, I know several quiet, gentle priests who attest to seeing real miracles of grace through the sacrament. Charisms of healing (both ordinary and extraordinary) and the expectation that God heals needs to be more widely known and used, I think.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen