From another list...a view from an Episcopal musician who happened to be at NPM.
  • Just came across this:

"Perhaps it's just an entire week of being inside the cacophonous Exhibit Hall at the National NPM conference that put me on edge. (Unlike AGO or ACDA, NPM allows entire booths where the sole purpose is one guy with a mic and piano blaring out his own personally composed mass non-stop for four days. OCP itself scheduled rotating musicians in their booth under disco lighting, singing the most highly-amplified, annoying "church music" from mariachi to an African-American woman whose growling/bellowing vocal style sounded profoundly ticked-off, even though the text spoke about Jesus' love.)"
    Thanked by 2chonak melofluent
  • francis
    Holy C***! Alius Cantus Aptus strikes again.
  • Tell the truth, Francis, you're coveting the disco lighting, aren't you?

Those of us in the USA can be patriotic!
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Yes. I could do without them allowing the "entertainment" as described above in the convention exhibit hall.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Oh no, I thought the background "Piano Man" stuff was the perfect companion to the pretentious panel discussions "livecast" by Pray Tell (young or old guy in charge) selling telling us how, on one side, NPM had reached an epiphany about the "need" for rubrics, and on the other the ever-faithful Paul Inwood railing against how the fake church hides behind extravagant vestments and was on life support.
    I mean really, now that they've sold the KoolAid to doctoral candidate just out of high school Mr. NC, and put a smiley face on how informed and tolerant the youth are, does anyone here, PGA, actually think that NPM isn't a tool for selective catholicism?
    I'm not sure what your question is, Melo. I didn't catch the PTB panel discussion you are referencing. Could you clue me in?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    PrayTell Live- panel on liturgy and inculturation.
  • francis
    Actually, FNJ, if you want to know, I WAS the disco pop Catholic of the 80's. We had lights for our 'mass' apostasy.

Thank God NONE of it survived and that anything that I contributed to in that time of great error fell into oblivion.

Flying fish kites are tame compared to the antics I was party to. I am surprised the NPM wasn't putting us front and center... then again, now that I think about it, we were probably even too much for them.
    PTB isn't an arm of NPM.

If you want to, you could set up a booth in the exhibit hall next year and film podcasts talking about how the Novus Ordo should be given up on to the exclusion of the Latin Mass. Some people would probably then say "Clearly, NPM has taken in the cool aid of those favoring retrenchment and THIS is now what they stand for."
    Thanked by 2chonak Gavin
  • Kathy
    PTB isn't an arm of NPM. 

It might be fun to think of the biological metaphors that would be appropriate for various aspects of Catholic liturgy and music.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    I suspect that some of those biological metaphors would be intrinsically INappropriate.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Kathy
    True. But mostly I just find myself thinking in terms of colonization. The weird way in which the text writers of the decidedly Protestant Hymn Society of the United States and Canada colonized Worship IV, for example. It's like a culture in a petri dish--that sort of thing.

All analogies limp, of course...
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen