Campanology - USA Opportunities
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    I'll preface this by saying I'm currently reading Dorothy Sayers's The Nine Tailors, so you know where this conversation is going.

Can someone tell me where would be a good place to start with change ringing in the States, as far as practice and theory?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Im guessing campanology has to with bells?
  • chonakchonak
    Great novel. It was a fun TV mystery too. Some of the Sayers novels were also adapted into radio dramas; I'm not sure about that one.

Probably these folks are a source of information: http://www.nagcr.org/
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
    Indeed, Julie. I've had experience with handbells; unfortunately, our country is bereft of the kind of bell-towers I'm looking for.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I think Duke U has a new ring of 10, also the Nat'l Cathedral, DC (I think they might have a 12 bell ring).
  • List of Change Ringing Towers

My wife will be hearing the one at Sewanee, TN in the morning.
  • Liam
    The Nine Tailors was classically serialized for television on Masterpiece Theatre 40 years ago:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/archive/27/27.html
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • G
    I know nothing about change-ringing in this country, but glad you brought Sayers up. Thers a wonderful book of essays I picked up on a remainder table years ago, (yeah, I still read actual books, ) called The Whimsical Christian. Interesting thinker.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • Get in touch with Steve Collins, who is a member of this forum. He could tell you anything about change ringing in the US. Peals of bells are relatively hard to run across in this country, and are most likely to be found in Episcopal churches. In addition to Steve, you might contact the carilloneur (or carilloneuse) at the Cathedral of Ss Peter and Paul (the 'National Cathedral') in Washington. The cathedral has both a carillon and a peal of bells. Where are you located?

You say that you have hand bell experience: you may or may not know that hand bells were invented to practice change ringing without going into the tower and practicing on the whole town - although most handbell groups play just about everything on them except changes.
    MJO - I'm in Indiana, where Methodism is the 'catholic' religion, so peals are pretty much impossible to find, although I think the Golden Dome may have one?
    G - have you read Sayers's work "The Mind of the Maker"? A singer friend introduced it to me years ago; it's a brilliant explanation of how Incarnational theology is essentially artistic.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Stim, try BSU. They're very proud of their carillon tower and it can be played, and often is, by the organ and carillon teacher. BSU is Ball State University in Muncie btw.
  • G
    G - have you read Sayers's work "The Mind of the Maker"? A singer friend introduced it to me years ago; it's a brilliant explanation of how Incarnational theology is essentially artistic.
    No, but thanks, I will look into it.
    She was quite a theologian, for a witty, novel-writing academic, wasn't she?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • The Mind of the Maker is a brilliant work of 'popular theology' - it ranks easily with C.S. Lewis' contributions to our enlightenment, even some Chesterton.
  • BruceL
    Come see us in Birmingham: the cathedral has an 8 bell Whitechapel set. There are actually a fair number of bells all over the SE USA.