Alleluia! O virga mediatrix (6-part chorus a cappella) - a new setting of Hildegard's text
  • DWBasden
    Here's a new setting of Hildegard's Alleluia! O virga mediatrix for six-part mixed chorus a cappella. There are no divisi parts, so the piece would also suit a sextet.

Language: Latin. Standard of difficulty: a bit tricky. Duration: circa 2 minutes.

Here's a follow-the-score video with Matthew Curtis multitracking all the parts. I posted this on YouTube in May, and I've since had several requests for copies of the score. The piece has received two concert performances to my knowledge, but I'm unaware of its use in any church services.

The score is available free of charge – please contact me at: deebee [at] pacific [dot] net [dot] au

Best wishes – David Basden
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Thanks for posting it. It's interesting, I've heard a number of Matthew's multitracks now: they are, perhaps, no more realistic than a mid rendition? Or maybe, like the midi versions of things, they have a similarity that tends to override the differences that different musics make.
    Thanked by 1DWBasden
  • DWBasden
    Matthew's multitracks certainly have a distinctive sound.

From my point of view, I'm just hoping that choir directors might be able to envisage their ensembles singing my pieces. Whichever demo versions accomplish this – midi, multitrack, whatever – I'm happy.

Apart from that, he's a breeze to work with, and it gets the score off my desk and onto his, so it helps me feel like I'm making progress. (My work rate is invariably glacial!)
  • francis
    thank you DWBasden. wonderful piece. i would like to hear it sung in a live acoustic by a choir... please direct me to that recording when you get one.
    Thanked by 1DWBasden
  • DWBasden
    Thank you Francis!

A Sydney choir, Bel a Cappella, will be including it in an August 23rd concert. Nice ensemble, nice church acoustics, but no recording intentions as far as I'm aware.

Two other choirs have mentioned the possibility of a recording -­ if anything eventuates I'll certainly let you know.
  • Another beautiful piece David!
    Thanked by 1DWBasden