Youth Vespers
  • BGP
    Dare I ask opinions?

I have been asked to put together a 'Youth Vespers' service to replace a 'life teen Mass'? The only stipulation is that it needs to be in English.
    Initially I considered the modern LOTH with which I was unfamiliar. On closer investigation I discovered a structure radically different from what has been vespers historically (2 psalms rather than 4 or 5 and a' New testament canticle').

With endless change, a 4 week psalter and such. Simplification of rites my left foot. Assembling music and texts for this seems a nightmire.

So I have decided to go with technically 'devotional' not 'cannonically liturgical' vespers. Either traditional monastic or Roman vespers in English translation and set to adapted Gregoian music/tones. There won't be any clergy involved so there isn't a problem with fulfilling obligations.
    What do yall think about this solution?

Does anyone have any opinion on monastic vs. Roman? I personally prefer monastic vespers but have acess to the 1964 approved english translation of the Roman. The 64 english vespers no longer are 'cannonical' but ...

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    I use the 1964 approved English of the Roman. I dig it. I've even set/adapted some of it to the Gregorian melodies.
  • BGP
    ClemensRomanus, would you be willing to share your work with me?

I've already begun working on this (and I can send or post what I have so far if you’re willing to give feedback)

I like the 1964 in that the English is fairly modern without being horrible.

I privately pray the monastic form of the office, though not consistently as a result I am very tempted to go in that direction, but it is nearly identical with the Roman anyway ( 2 different antiphons and minus the 5th psalm and plus a short responsorial).
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    I'd love to, but my computer just died Wednesday. I'm told the earliest they can get to it is the 28th.

As soon as it's running, I'll send you all I have.
  • I'm not familiar with the 1964 English-language book. Is the book/text available readily?
  • Kathy
    There are a number of programs online that make doing canonical OF vespers fun and easy.

To my mind it's far preferable to join in the Prayer of the Church in a canonical way rather than making things up.
    Thanked by 2eft94530 CHGiffen
  • BenBen
    For a public liturgical service, especially one replacing Mass on the schedule, I would strongly discourage you from using something non-liturgical, ESPECIALLY if you are calling it vespers to the public.

Is the old rite easier? Yes. Does that mean we should make up our own service? No!

If you want to use the old rite, do it completely, in Latin.
  • BGP
    Mr. Page,
    I haven't found it online anywhere. What it is is the 1964 translation of the Roman Breviary aproved for liturgical use by the US bishops. So an english Extraordenary form office which was at one time official.

The scripture conforms for the most part to the Confraternity version of the Bible (1941-19XX pre-NAB)
  • SrEleanor
    @Kathy, could you give an example of such a program, please?
  • With endless change, a 4 week psalter and such. Simplification of rites my left foot. Assembling music and texts for this seems a nightmire.

Nicely put and very true.

Follow the Anglican Evensong service and condemn all this ridiculous legal/not legal Catholic church obfuscation of the liturgy of the hours.

Here is the Official Roman Catholic version:

http://church.atonementonline.com/wp-content/uploads/Book-Of-Divine-Worship.pdf

Thanked by 2Andrew_Malton G
  • chonakchonak
    In general, it's valuable to follow standard form, to set an example and spread the sense of Catholic unity.

Be aware that some features in office books are optional: there is a General Instruction for the LOTH as there is for Mass. If I remember right, the verbose "psalm prayers" are not in the Latin LOTH and are optional. All the Benedictine houses I know omit them, and it's best to do so.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Kathy
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SrEleanor
    @Kathy - ah, okay! I hadn't understood what you meant... (not at my brightest today).

@chonak - the psalm prayers are not even included in the "Divine Office", the translation approved for use in Ireland, UK, Australia etc. They are definitely optional.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • SalieriSalieri
    Get in touch will Dr William Mahrt (president of CMAA); he has some vespers material available in English. I believe his e-mail is on the "Journal" page of the CMAA (musicasacra.com) website. I have used his materials for Vespers, and loved it. (Though I added the Respond from the 1934 Antiphonale Monasticum, which is not part of Roman Vespers.)
  • Kathy
    This whole discussion reminds me of The Captain.

In my Catholic grammar school, the upper grades (6, 7, 8) were taught Math by a retired naval captain whom everybody called Cap. He was tall, had a very deep voice, and was an Episcopalian. He thought our liturgical experiments were ridiculous (it was the 70s).

One time we started this thing called "paraliturgies." It was sort of like a liturgy of the Word without Mass. Cap said that etymologically, para-chute meant to keep from--falling. So para-liturgy was something you did to keep from--having liturgy.
  • RobertRobert
    Is the old rite easier? Yes. Does that mean we should make up our own service? No!

There is a fairly longstanding practice in some places however of using the structure of old vespers but using the proper Magnificat antiphon, collect and in some cases chapter corresponding to the new calendar. This was done for years at Westminster Cathedral, although I believe they have switched to the new Antiphonale Romanum now that it's available.

Moreover the Oratorians in Toronto seem to do Old Vespers in English.
  • BGP
    Ok, I’m going to give a bit more background, as I think it would be helpful.
    We have a new Bishop (Rochester NY) and ‘Lifeteen’ is no longer an approved youth program. Previously it was the youth program, and in this context sporadic life teen Masses were celebrated on an irregular basis of about once or twice a month but sometimes not at all when school was in session, dependent upon availability and willingness of priests.
    The new context needs a prayer element, so it’s not really a replacement of a time slot previously held by a Mass.

In the new context- once a month prayer/worship is going to be incorporated into the youth program. The youth director is asking that the Gregorian chant schola which I direct be incorporated for this purpose and that it be sometimes Eucharistic adoration/benediction and sometimes vespers. He is aware of the LOTH vs. EF in English situation.

A number of other things have been suggested, including Anglican use evensong, I had originally suggested Compline. If the youth director was not traditional and a convert from “high” Lutheranism they would likely be doing “praise and worship” .

I myself am fortunate to live 1 mile from a Benedictine Monastery. At my suggestion, the plan for introducing the youth to this is for them to attend vespers there, the first month that the youth program starts up this fall.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • BGP
    Kathy, is there anything other than the Mundelein Psalter which provides for sung LOTH, without endless change in music (I would expect the music to change with the texts), preferably having a Gregorian character to the music?
  • BGP
    Noel Jones, You tempt me, oh you tempt me. It was suggested, I felt that it was liturgically foreign to us as 'Romans’. The door is still somewhat open.

The excessively legalistic will still say of course that it isn’t canonically evening prayer for us, as if any of the laity and kids involved had canonical obligations.
  • SalieriSalieri
    BGP: Congratulations on Bishop Matano!

The excessively legalistic will still say of course that it isn’t canonically evening prayer for us, as if any of the laity and kids involved had canonical obligations

Lay people can do whatever prayers they want to in the evening, whether privately or communally: Angelus; Vespers, OF, English/Latin; Vespers, EF, Latin/English; 1661 BCP Evensong; 1970 BCP Evensong; Anglican Use Evensong; Lutheran Vespers in Dutch; Orthodox Vespers in 'Slawonic'; yadda, yadda.

It's only on the Roman Use Clergy that the Roman Use (EF or OF) is bounden: of course Canon Law states that if a Roman Use priest assists at Vespers in a Benedictine Abbey he has fulfilled his obligation to say the Office.
  • chonakchonak
    One more version to consider: the current UK Divine Office has the same structure as the current US LOTH, and uses the same 1963 Grail Psalms, but where the US LOTH has collects, antiphons, and intercessions translated by 1970s ICEL, the UK edition has its own English translation.

For example, here's a collect from Thursday Morning Prayer, Week 2:

Latin LOTH: Te lucem veram et lucis auctorem, Domine, deprecamur, ut, quae sancta sunt, fideliter meditantes, in tua iugiter claritate vivamus. Per Dominum...

ICEL: Lord, true light and source of all light, listen to our morning prayer. Turn our thoughts to what is holy and may we ever live in the light of your love. We ask this....

UK: Lord God, true Light and Creator of light, grant that faithfully pondering on all that is holy, we may ever live in the splendour of your presence. We make our prayer....
    ---

I can't answer on Kathy's behalf, but there is a good Compline book from Ignatius by Fr. Samuel Weber with facing Latin and English pages, and chant notation, so you can sing Compline fully in English. The Psalms in English use Fr. Weber's psalm tones, with Gregorian tones for the Latin.

Congratulations on Bishop Matano's arrival. I had the pleasure of seeing him offer Mass at the cathedral in Providence a few weeks ago, as part of their 125th anniversary. It was the first EF Mass in the beautiful Cathedral of SS. Peter and Paul in a generation.

---

A friend of mine who went to college in Rochester has told me of how the chaplaincy at his school occasionally organized a trip for students to go to the Trappist Abbey of the Genesee and attend their Night Office, around 2:30 a.m. or something like that. It might be something fun for your youth group too: to make the trip, attend the Office, and afterward go off at 4 a.m. to some all-night breakfast place, and then get back home.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • bonniebede
    Here my tuppence worth....
    Eucharistic adoration always, including when you use LOTH
    Use Evening prayer or night prayer as appropriate. Use simple psalm tones like St Meinrad tones. Use the same tone for the antiphons, magnificat etc.
    Don't deprive your young people of the opportunity to become familiar with this liturgy of the church which is part of the patrimony of all Catholics, including laity. (Don't fall into the trap that because it is only required for religious or clergy, laity have not part to play in this public office of the Church. We do!)
    I agree with Sr Eleanor et al about the version, being only familiar with the UK/Ireland translation, it took me quite a while to figure out what most people were talking about with all these additional bits the Americans seem to have added to the LOTH. But stripped down to its essentials, it is a very simple way of praying, not hard to teach or pick up.
    And its based on scripture , another point of concentration for essential evangelisation/catechesis.
    If necessary, as you are doing it occasionally you could consider just using the same LOTh ie Sunday Week 1 repeatedly. As people become familiar, vary the readings, collects, and eventually introduce more psalms/antiphons, to cover the psalter for the days you use it.
    Best wishes with the project, it sounds very positive.
    Oh, last thought, get a priest and make confession available during the hour of adoration and prayer.
    Also what about a chanted rosary, or Divine mercy chaplet? There is a suggested set of Greg chants for each mystery of the rosary in one of the CMAA magazines online, maybe your trained schola could pick up on them, while the kids can say/sing the bits of the rosary they are familiar with.
  • BGP
    Thank you Salieri and chonak, Bishop Matano is a breath of fresh air here. I had the pleasure of meeting him last Friday on the feast of St. Benedict.
  • BGP
    Thank you everyone for the various suggestions.
    I have to say this reminds me of the debate over whether one can use the sequence in the Novus Ordo Requiem Mass.

I am largely of the opinion of Salieri above, this will be a semi private communal praying of some psalms by people who have no legal obligations to fulfill. Confusion with modern evening prayer will be avoided.

Many of the various suggestions will not satisfy the objection to singing 1964 English Vespers. Objectors may say that UK LOTH is not approved for use in the US; That Anglican use evensong only is 'valid' if an ex-episcopalian is present; repeated use of the same LOTH vespers is an abuse and you must use the right texts for the right day. I understand the position of the objectors and I respect it but, personally I think the objections are a bit over-rigorous and legalistic.

I had at first considered using vespers as done over the hill and through the woods at Mt. Savior monastery. But the objections would apply to that as well, it's Ps. 109,110,111,112 every Sunday just as St Benedict called for in his rule.

The problem with the LOTH is not just the quality of the English texts but also the lack of stability. Ordinary teens will be singing the psalms I have to have a certain amount of repetition. I have not yet closed the door to other possibilities and I have done my best to keep my biases and opinions in check. At this point it seems to me that if I abandon my original plan and use a corruption of the office, it might as well be beautiful, and so evensong would win.

I think I may ask Dr. Mahrt for his take, especially in light of the compline service in the Colloquium packet.
  • BGP
    -
    Thanked by 1Robert
  • igneusigneus
    "repeated use of the same LOTH vespers is an abuse and you must use the right texts for the right day"
    Not really. Or - it's at least not that simple. See GILotH 247
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • hartleymartin
    Have you thought about doing Solemn Compline with Benediction?

1. Entrance Procession
    2. Exposition (O Salutaris or another eucharistic hymn)
    3. Opening Versacle
    4. Hymn
    5. Psalm(s) - Chant to Tone IId - it's the easiest one
    - there are 2 Psalms on Saturday Night and only 1 on Sunday night
    6. Scripture Reading
    6. a. Homily (Not usual for Compline, but it can be done)
    7. Responsory
    8. Nunc Dimittis
    9. Hymns of Adoration (Adoro Te/Godhead here in Hiding, Pange Lingua)
    10. Tantum Ergo
    11. Benediction
    12. Divine Praises
    13. Dismissal
    14. Marian Antiphon
    15. Exit

I did this each night at a Conference/Retreat and it went down well. It goes for just under an hour.
  • hartleymartin
    By the way, with Vespers there is the 4 week cycle, so once you've sorted out the music for 4 weeks, you can recycle it. You can also just chant the antiphons to the psalm tones. It makes life much easier.

In the old times, there were separate books for the hymns, antiphons and psalter so one generally needed three books at a time to sing the divine office!
  • bonniebede
    Objectors may say that UK LOTH is not approved for use in the US;

I'm not suggesting using uk version in Us, simply that the uk version seems not to have added extras which can't be obligatory as they are not in the original Latin Editio typica.
    Maybe they were intended to make the LOTH more accessible or prayerful, not sure it helped from the comments I've seen, and in its basics LOTH is fairly simple really.

• hartleymartin
    If you're doing Youth Vespers on Sunday Evenings it might be easier, as the first psalm and the canticle are the same through the 4-week cycle. You would only have to prepare the antiphons for each week and the middle psalm.

The specified hymns go through a 2-week cycle, although any appropriate hymn may be substituted.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • fcbfcb
    I'm a bit baffled by the "Wow, the Liturgy of the Hours is so complicated" theme here. It can be a bit complicated (just like the old office) if you need to figure out what antiphon to use for an optional memorial during Lent, but just to do Sunday Vespers? It's really pretty simple. The first psalm (110) and the canticle are the same every week; only the second psalm changes. You can use the same hymn every week. You don't need to use the "psalm prayers" (I never use them, and I suspect they'll disappear in the new translation of the office). In fact, except for the second psalm and the Magnificat antiphon, the people's parts would be pretty much identical from week to week. If you don't want to use the LOH for whatever reason, fine. But claims to its complexity for Sunday Vespers strains credulity.
  • Kathy
    Absolutely agree with fcb here. Except for feasts and solemnities, you have 4 Sunday vespers programs in total, and they are almost identical anyways.
    Thanked by 1Bri
  • SMR
    If I remember correctly, in '62, with the permission of the Bishop, priests could fulfill their obligation to celebrate the Office by reciting an English translation. We occasionally have English Vespers or Tenebrae in the Old Rite at our Parish, and the priests simply get permission from the Bishop so that the English recitation would fulfill their obligation. I also know a priest who had for a while blanket permission to fulfill his obligation by reciting the Old Office in English.

I would suggest talking to your bishop. There might be some sort of dispensation or allowance he could give for the Old Rite Vespers to be done in English and still be canonical, especially considering your situation and Bishop!
    Thanked by 2BGP Adam Wood
  • BGP,

(Ok., so I'm really late to this shindig, but humor me a second)....

You said that you were to prepare Teen Vespers to replace a Life Teen Mass.

This prompted several questions, the answers to which should help solve your puzzle.

1) By "replace", do you mean that these children will attend Vespers instead of Mass? In this case, you can't do what's proposed, because you'll be contributing to the commission of a mortal sin: all these teens will miss Mass on Sunday.

2) By "replace", do you mean "keep the same style"? If this is the case, most of what has been proposed here won't work -- because Life Teen Masses disregard all the laws of authentic liturgy.

3) By "replace", do you mean that the pastor wants to be rid of the Life Teen Mass, but thinks people need a step down so they can rejoin the Catholic world? If this is the case, I think you want to use simple, chanted antiphons and either psalm-tone or recto tono verses.

4) Why is there an insistence on English?

5) Perhaps the pastor is in the grips of a bear who thinks that the only way to get teens to the church building is to cater to them with teen-themed events. If this is the case, ask father to sit in the confessional, after he has placed Our Lord in the monstrance: he'll do more good that way.

• I looked with interest at the compositions of the antiphons, and I think that some of them can be further improved. For example, the fourth antiphon, 'Blessed be the name of the Lord for ever', now has a torculus on the unaccented 'the', thus putting an emphasis on this word, while in natural speech 'name' is stressed instead.
    Also, the quarter bar after 'name' divides the antiphon in an unnatural way; the text of this antiphon should preferably be sung as a single sentence.

Here's a suggestion for another melody of the same mode:

• BGP
    Chris G-Z,

Formerly the youth program included an occasional (not consistantly scheduled but intended to be monthly) 'Life teen' Mass on Sunday evening.

The reformed youth program will have a variety of prayer elements, such as adoration and this Vespers.