Music for Assumption - 1962 missal
  • -b
    Looking for polyphonic propers for EF Mass. Even Byrd's texts don't quite match the proper texts for the 1962 missal.
  • JahazaJahaza
    I can't help with polyphonic texts, but in case you (or others) don't know, the reason is that the texts were changed for Assumption starting in 1951 following the declaration of the Dogma of the Assumption by Pope Pius XII in 1950.
  • -b
    I sort of was aware of that, and after 5 years doing this feast in EF, I still don't have what I wish for special music to celebrate this great solemnity. Will keep working on it, though--many thanks for your reply.
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    In college, I wrote SATB settings of the introit (2008) as well as the gradual and alleluia (2009). The recordings below are of two different quartets of students singing the respective pieces.

Introit - Signum magnum:

Gradual and Alleluia - Audi filia & Assumpta est:

I suppose someday I ought to finish the set. Meanwhile, if you are interested in using these pieces, I'd be happy to message you the scores.

Vale in Domino,
    Jonathan
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Secunda Anthologia has a three-part Assumpta Est Maria by Ravanello that we're planning on using this year; however, it's pre-1950 so it doesn't quite fit in with the rubrics.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • We're singing the Chant Propers and Palestrina's "Missa: Assumpta est Maria." After the Offertorium we're doing the first part of the motet "Assumpta est" and after the Communio the second part "Quae est ista."
  • -b
    Many thanks to those of you who responded. Jonathan, you are a talented composer. You must be well on your way by now--congratulations. We're going to sing the Gregorian propers, chanted Gloria & Sanctus IX, Byrd "Assumpta est Maria" as offertory anthem, and also Kyrie by Rheinberger, and Agnus Dei by Gounod, both with small string ensemble. The children's choir will sing Franck's Panis Angelicus and the Ave Maris Stella chant. So it will be a rather eclectic musical bouquet, but we hope Our Lady will be pleased.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • MatthewRoth
    Yes, it's rather obnoxious that the Propers were changed. Gaudeamus is one of the most marvelous chants of the year, and it means the polyphonic settings cannot be used. Fr. Hunwicke had a post (which I currently can't find) on this. I agreed with his point, that Pius XII could have emphasized the dogma liturgically without promulgating the new Mass texts...
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Um, Signum magnum is optional instead of Gaudeamus, isn't it? Or is this an instance of the OF having an edge?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    I think the Alleluia and verse for Assumption are the most enchanting of the whole year, and this recording of the Mass at Fontgambault just exquisite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMjNevd2gXs&list=PLodErN1f0t7G6TSLXH4mCDxVOEwXPqWCJ&index=5

The Alleluia is at 6:23.

There is a CD of the Assumption by the Abbey at Fontgambault available for purchase from the Clear Creek Monastery. I take this CD with me everywhere. It's pure heaven.
  • tomjaw
    Richard

Those using the 1962 books should be using the Proper found therein, Signum Magnum etc. Those of us that use the older books would use Gaudeamus...

Of course in the OF you could sing either set of Propers (alius Cantus...) You could even sing the Sequence for this Mass (omitted from the Trent Missal)