10 best P&W songs?
  • lmassery
    I'm starting this thread in response to Ben Yanke's recent chantcafe post wherein he names a P&W song (Blessed is your name) that has better text than most haugen/haas songs. I am wondering if you all can help me come up with 10 decent Catholic P&W songs. Please no arguing against P&W songs in general - assume I have to use them. I value text but also singability - i.e. not overly syncopated. Thanks
  • BenBen
    Since my post discussed the scriptural nature of many of them, Blessed be Your Name would be a good one on that criteria.
  • Lmassery,

I'll abide by your request:
    Please no arguing against P&W songs in general - assume I have to use them.
    , and since I know few "P&W" Catholic songs, I'll ask this question: used, for what. Is the intent to use them at a parish mission, or on a retreat, or at the main Mass on Sunday? What I'm driving at is this: before we can
    come up with 10 decent Catholic P&W songs
    , we need to know -- making certain assumptions, as you requested -- the purpose. I can think, for example, of many beautiful pieces of 19th century French organ music, but few movies starring Clint Eastwood in which they would be useful. I can think of at least one Glory and Praise song which the editors recommend for Lent, which song contains an Alleluia. .... and so on.

Thanked by 1francis
  • lmassery
    Chris GZ - These are songs that would be used at a main Mass on Sunday. I'm open to suggested songs from any liturgical season.
  • Kathy
    Ditto on BBYN.

How Great Is Our God
    Agnus Dei (MW Smith)
    In Christ Alone
    Open the Eyes of My Heart
    Jesus Christ, You Are My Life
    Radiant Light Divine (Zaragoza)

Some more "traditional" songs that are useable in this way:
    How Can I Keep from Singing
    Give Me Jesus
    What Wondrous Love

You could probably also use
    I Am the Light of the World (Hayakawa)
    Christ Be Our Light
    The Summons
    And Holy Is Your Name

I wouldn't touch Shout to the Lord. Something about it just gives me the heebie jeebies (not a scientific or theological term!) And, Your Grace Is Enough is just wrong.

Good luck, Luke!
    Thanked by 2lmassery ryand
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Off the top of me head-no order
    *In every age-Janet Sullivan Whitacre
    *Exodus 15: to God be praise and glory -Sullivan Whitacre
    *Fly like a bird-Canedo
    *Here at this table- Sullivan Whitacre
    *Many and great-Manalo
    *Only this I want-Schutte
    *Parable-M.D. Ridge
    *Sacramentum caritas-Joncas