A beautiful witness through a funeral
  • melofluentmelofluent
    On Thursday afternoon late in the work day the parish secretary called me with a need. A parishioner of ours (though he lived in a neighboring city) had explicitly requested that his funeral be conducted within the EF. However, the secretary didn't know any diocesan priests with that competency outside of one who's recovering from surgery. I mentoned that a former pastoral associate of ours, now pastor of a parish in another neighboring town, had recently started offering an EF Low Mass on Thursday evenings and she could contact him the next day. He agreed to preside, and the family secured my services as a cantor. Obviously without a Deacon, Sub-Deacon and acolytes/MC and such, certain concessions to the rubrics were necessary.
    But my friends, what a gift and witness this gentleman is providing our parish. This will mark the first time since vernaculars displaced our mother tongue at a Mass in our city and parish. The gentleman's six adult children apparently when all home came to our regular 830am Sunday (schola/choral) Mass and quietly appreciated what we do there. I never met the gentleman.
    And imagine the joy that I am anticipating for this coming Tuesday morning. Brick by brick.
  • GavinGavin
    I think it speaks well of your program that he knew his request could be well satisfied there!

Having parishioners with good taste is NOT just a matter of luck.
    Thanked by 2melofluent Felicity
  • Great story, Melo.
    Helps to be prepared as you were- kudos!!

Thanked by 1melofluent
  • WendiWendi
    Yay for you and your parish. Every step forward is a good thing.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • expeditus1
    Melo, do update us on the upcoming Tuesday Requiem. It's unlikely that you'll be able to go unchanged, in some manner, by it. Wish I could be there to hear you cantoring!
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Every music director should either know how to do music for an EF Requiem or know someone locally (or within an hour or so) that can. One never knows...
    Thanked by 1G
  • melofluentmelofluent
    MJM, your admonition is a bit ambiguous and I can't get your context, unless it's just a general observation. As regards my situation out here, I think my original post was very clear in that I not only knew which of the four priests in this incredibly large geographic diocese are competent with an EF Low Mass, but that I was and am prepared to advise said priests on how to implement which form of an EF. And in this case, it cannot be a Requiem.
    The point of this post was essentially the same as your comment, to encourage musicians to seize any and all opportunities to advance the goals of Summorum, and yes, that requires self-retooling and education. Hence, 7 years of CMAA.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    General observation, yes. I think some musicians (or pastors) think that "nobody will ever request than EF funeral," but one can never be sure. We should be studious and vigilant, whether the request ever comes or not.
    Thanked by 2melofluent G
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Well, mon amis.....
    Watershed moment it was! We were able to secure our neighboring town's pastor who's been working with an Una Voce Master of Ceremonies from Fresno for about six months. the MC also came with two servers from Fresno.
    The leader of our little garage schola (fabulous tenor chanter) joined me for the music.
    About a hundred in attendance, including parishioners who had heard through the grapevine that a TLM was actually going occur! The gentleman's family were exquisitely poised and reverent, and so appreciative. Most of the women wore mantillas, which in and of itself was a sign of deep devotion.
    Father, the MC and I conferred briefly and all agreed to keep to the rubrical mandate to only sing at the "four corners of the hymn sandwich." However, we felt comfortable with a sort of "alius cantus aptus" cross-fertilizing of the actual antiphons/verses for the procession of the casket prior to Mass for the Rosary, the Requiem Aeternum after the Rosary when Father re-entered the sanctuary; The Dies irae rather than the Offertorium; Lambilotte "Panis Angelicus" and Schubert "AM" during Communion, and fina.lly In paradisum.
    Despite my weight and bad knees, I haven't felt so strong to worship on those needs in years!
    Afterwards, my fellow chanter, his sister (who also chants with he and others as 3rd Order Franciscans) and I discussed the likelihood of composing an article about the funeral for our monthly newspaper. Through that, the people will know that an actual EF has been celebrated/sacrificed, and hopefully that will generate their interest in approaching our new pastor and associate pastor, who are very agreeable gentlemen.
    The homily, provided by the family, outlining almost exclusively the spriritual aspects of the gentleman's life, was extraordinary in portraying a soul's journey through much suffering in WWII and afterwards. But it was clear God came first to this man. And it was an honor to have thanked our Lord Jesus Christ for His Act of Sacrifice on behalf of him and all.image
    Thanked by 2Jenny StimsonInRehab
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Thanks for this, Melo. It certainly is a breakthrough for your diocese, and I'm sure was a revelation to all who attended. My father-in-law requested a Requiem Mass a few years ago for his funeral, and we summoned all available resources and sang a full Requeim High Mass for him including the burial rite at the cemetery. It was a real journey of faith and brought us all such healing and peace.
  • G
    Every music director should either know how to do music for an EF Requiem or know someone locally (or within an hour or so) that can. One never knows...
    This.
    I know I shared the story here that when a member of the family died a few months after SP was promulgated, the very young pastor at the out of state parish where the funeral Mass was to be said, no problem, to a request for an EF funeral, even though he himself knew almost nothing about the EF, or our family.
    A retired priest in residence said his first one in forty odd years, another priest from a nearby parish lent black vestments that had just been purchase for his mother's funeral, and the willing but inexperienced parish musicians pulled in a protestant friend who was a musicologist, the local public school music teacher, and a member of a nearby amateur early music society -- they were lovely.

Is there any kind of database, like the ones for Scholas, and EF Masses for individuals who might be available to sing a Requiem, with zip codes or something to determine who might be in range when a need arises suddenly?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Is there any kind of database, like the ones for Scholas, and EF Masses for individuals who might be available to sing a Requiem, with zip codes or something to determine who might be in range when a need arises suddenly?

This is an excellent idea for a Requiem Mass Ministry. You can sign me up!

By the way, there is a beautiful video of a Requiem Mass at a diocesan church for a priest in France that was featured on Rorate Caeli last year. It is stunning to hear the whole congregation singing the propers, including the Dies Irae which appears to have been sung antiphonally by the schola/congregation.

And don't miss seeing the chanting of the burial rite at the gravesite. What a grand send-off for L'Abbe Lagneau who apparently passed away suddenly while on pilgrimage to a shrine of Our Lady in France. From what I can tell from the French, he suffered a heart attack and died while kneeling and praying at the shrine.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rIXjmMVIuo

P.S. I just found it on YouTube. I forgot that this was a priest of the SSPX so all necessary caveats, etc. The local diocesan bishop offered the use of a diocesan church for the Requiem Mass and the pastor was present at the Mass and burial.

It's certainly a worthy paradigm of Catholic worship and demonstration of Catholic faith nonetheless.
    Thanked by 1Chrism
  • expeditus1
    And so the Revolution began.....

Thanks, melo, for giving us a window into your experience, and sharing the enthusiasm with us.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    And, expeditus, it might be fitting if the revolution began with a Requiem Mass in the old rite. What better demonstration of the vital essence of the Catholic faith, what better reminder of the four last things, what more powerful use of the liturgy and more charitable and hope-filled act than to chant the Church's ancient prayers for the safe deliverance of a soul?

+ Sed líbera nos a malo.
    = A porta inferi.
    + Érue Dómine ánimam ejus.
    = Requiescat in pace.
    + Amen.

+ But deliver us from evil.
    = From the gate of hell.
    + Deliver his/her soul, O Lord.
    = May he/she rest in peace.
    + Amen.
    Thanked by 2expeditus1 kevinf
  • The Requiem is so well crafted. At various moments, we plead, we mourn, we trust, we look forward with expectant joy. The prayers meet death head-on and rise heavenward. The soul is stirred most deliberately to pray for the deceased as well as to prepare for it's own passage.

Liturgically speaking, the Requiem is like life insurance for the older form of our rite. When it is prayed in all it's force, it is not easily forgotten.
  • tomjaw
    Here in England we have this:
    http://www.lms.org.uk/resources/funeral-guide

The LMS have a pretty good idea of how many Priests, Altar servers, Cantors, and Choirs are able to celebrate an EF Requiem.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    I agree with Julie about starting up a directory for Weddings/Funerals. I've had a few people stipulate to me that they want a Requiem Mass in the usus antiquor. I'm sure more people would ask for it if they knew it was an option.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Shortly after the
    Benedict XVI Motu Proprio Summorum Pontificum (7-7-2007)
    I came across a database (website no longer exists).
    You can still see bits via
    http://www.archive.org
    Way Back Machine
    www.lumengentleman.com
    select a year then scroll down and click a date that the WBM harvested something
    click Motu Proprio Network
    Thanked by 1StimsonInRehab
  • tomjaw
    The Latin Mass society have a set of regional reps. and they are supposed to keep the central office up to date. But even this system is not perfect. I wonder if the Una Voce could help?
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    EFT, I went through the steps you posted above on the archive and came up with a website for fake divorce papers. LOL. I think it's sad how, after an initial flurry of enthusiasm and excitement in 2007, interest in the Latin Mass has declined in the Northeast, and of course, the potential closure of Holy Innocents in Manhattan is very distressing since it was the closest thing to a traditional parish in these here parts.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    UV might be a good group to contact, tomjaw - but who in the higher-ups to consult?
  • tomjaw
    Well when I get back from holiday I could have a chat to the president! Anyway the local UV chapter / traditional Mass centre would be a good point of call.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Just a brief follow up....
    Last night (7-31) I went to a neighboring town's parish where the celebrant of the funeral is pastor. They instituted a 6pm Low Mass (EF) this summer. I joined my friend (diretor of our parish "garage schola") in the loft for the four "hymns" (we added a fifth during Communion!)

The only reason I'm adding to the thread is that I'm essentially "a lost newbie" in the Low Mass. My entire experience with the EF has been at colloquia, and whether as a choral congregant or just PIP the progression of the rite is laid out with precision and beauty. And so it is in the Low Mass even if by our Local Latin Mass Society of Fresno. I just am not yet up to speed on minor details (must get daily 62 Missal!)

The one and only point I wish to emphasize is that the conducting of our eucharistic ritual in the sacral tongue of Latin compels this worshipper to discipline his attention and "participation" much more intently. Though there might have been only 25 souls present in the pews, I was provided a different perspective of worshipping in a manner with countless souls of saints and sinners of the catholic Church which is priceless. And, at this newbie point, I still see a benefit of cross relationship B16 advocated in SP in 07.

Now, how to garner the interest of clergy in our city towards unveiliing this to new generations who have no collective memory of its merits?