Need articles supporting our stance!
  • JPike1028
    It's been a while since I've been around these parts, but I need assistance. Without going into much detail, I am in need of articles showing a growth in young adult attendance/participation due to a switch from strum & drum music to more traditional music. I have printed off a few things, but would like to be able to inundate the powers that be with proof and information. Any help you can provide would be very helpful!
  • JPike1028
    Yes, Ben! I actually printed that one out last night. More things along the lines of this would be great! Thank you!
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    The proof is really in the pudding for things like this. I know, however, that the "powers that be" want you to prove that it will be wildly successful beyond measure before they'll even allow you to program your first Proper once per Mass, at least that's how I feel, YMMV. However, the best proof is to try it, and then see the results. Everyone here knows that the wholescale rejection of sacred music won't happen, and in fact it will be seen as a positive. I just wonder if the clergy is afraid it won't be, and people will leave, but that's not the point of your post. I apologize for the digression.
  • JPike1028
    No worries. My parish is a mixed bag concerning music. We do a little bit of everything. Due to the nature of Lent, Easter, and the feast days that follow Easter, we were singing a lot of hymnody and some chant. One of our priests, despite being rather orthodox in all other things liturgy, prefers contemporary/folk music to this. He told my DM that he was getting complaints about the style of music lately and encouraged us to do some more contemporary music. Being a good and obedient DM we sang more contemporary things at the next mass the priest presided at. He came up to the DM after mass and specifically said we should be doing music like that every week.

He is convinced that doing things more like the local mega-church will bring in "young families." This why I am looking for articles or anecdotes that provide real numbers from churches who have successfully gone the more traditional route: to show his flawed logic. We are not even talking about abandoning contemporary music completely, just providing examples as to why a mix of modern and traditional music should be the norm, not solely music written after 1960.
  • Kathy
    See also Gary Penkala's excellent recent article in the Adoremus Bulletin.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Priests can be such fools when they envy what appears to be the popularity of the mega-churches.

People who deal with them on a daily business have a completely different view of them - I know that personally, having worked with three major protestant mega-churches that broadcast on TV and radio, including assisting one in making it possible for the organ to be included and used on the air* in their tv and radio broadcasts as part of the professional orchestra that sits on a lift behind the pulpit, all sinking from view into the basement so as not to distract from the pastor's message. At that church everyone had to be accompanied when moving through the building and the pastor's suite of offices was locked away behind steel safety doors due to threats...

These may give you a bit of useful information:

http://thechristianpundit.org/2013/07/17/young-evangelicals-are-getting-high/

http://www.randywhiteministries.org/2014/01/02/leaving-church-growth-movement/

These pastors, and some Catholic priests, want to be rock stars - it is all about them. Music and anything else that distracts from them or is not what they like is suppressed.

*Once the organ was set up to sound good on broadcasts, which it had not for years, they brought the preacher in and he was very displeased. To make him happy, they had to turn the organ around so no one could see the keyboards or the organist playing and then spend $8,000 having the console refinished so the back of it matched the paneling in the fake studio church...all so that he remained the focal point.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    From Fr. Rick Heilman, the excellent pastor with whom Aristotle Esguerra works:

http://www.knightsofdivinemercy.com/2014/02/22/the-fruits-of-ad-orientem-worship/

the average age of our parishioners went from 65 to 35, as so many young families are discovering us and joining the parish. It is so wonderful to hear the squeaks and squawks of little ones throughout the Mass!!! My secretary commented that it seems a new young family appears here every week.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JPike1028
  • BenBen
    He's also my pastor too, and it's not an exaggeration that people are just pouring in. I haven't been there for a few weeks due to other commitments, but last month when I was there, it did feel like new families were coming every week. It's quite an amazing situation.
  • as so many young families are discovering us

It would be of great interest to know if they were transferring from another local parish, have relocated to the parish.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    There are many young families at our EF Latin Mass as well, Deo gratias. When I go to my local daily Mass, I'm one of the youngest people there (and I'm not young), whereas at our Sunday EF Mass in Queens, it's the complete opposite.

One of my favorite moments was this Corpus Christi Sunday during Benediction after the procession seeing two little tots sitting in the main aisle at the back of church playing with the rose petals. God bless the little babies! They bring life and joy.
  • BenBen
    @Noel,

In this case, many are actually transferring from parishes that were not their territorial parishes into our parish, which is also not their territorial parish (although some, I'm sure, are leaving their territorial parishes... I don't know everyone yet :) )
  • GavinGavin
    This notion that young people are more attracted to chant and Latin is hogwash. I'm sure you can find articles or anecdotes to support it, but they are quite lacking in rigor and integrity.

I recently attended (for the first time ever!) a contemporary evangelical church. I'm in my late 20s, and I felt like the oldest person there. All these young adults were VERY excited about the music, which literally took up the whole service, except for announcements, a scripture lesson, and a sermon. I'm still amazed at how many young people there were - the church attendance numbers in the thousands.

That's an anecdote. It's not representative of any universal objective truth, but just my experience. Of course, we all know people who prefer traditional music who are also young - myself included (for however much longer I can use the y-word). But I think if we're honest, we also know a LOT of young people who love contemporary music. I recently visited my nieces, who are under 5, and they would not stop singing the Gloria refrain from David Haas's Mass of Light. My sister in law also loves that kind of music. I have a 23 year old friend who just wrote a contemporary-style Mass ordinary. I once met a woman my age in town for a funeral who told me "On Eagle's Wings" is her favorite song ever.

Not to mention that most young adults (ESPECIALLY Catholic ones) just DON'T CARE about music. Or don't go to church, period.

None of which is to say that I oppose traditional practice. I support it. More importantly, I ACTUALLY DO IT.

If you want a reason to do chant, Latin, ad orientem, etc., don't do it because it will make you popular. Do it because it's the right thing to do.
    Thanked by 2Spriggo hilluminar
  • CharlesW
    I haven't been able to use the "Y" word for many years, but there is some truth to what you say. Even in my high school days (mid 1960s) maybe 20 of us out of a class of 500 sat and listened to the free symphony concert for kids - it was the Nutcracker. The rest of my class couldn't wait for it to be over. It is not substantially different today. You will get the kids who are drawn to the EF and chant because they like it. The majority are over at the God-R-Us House of Prayer, Free Food, and Worship listening to the praise band.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I just wish we could get beyond 'feelings' and religious consumerism. When it comes to chant, you don't do it because you like it or you think it will attract people, you do it because the Church tells you to do it. End of story.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    This notion that young people are more attracted to chant and Latin is hogwash

I couldn't agree with you more, Gavin. But I'm not sure that anyone other than yourself actually employed that notion as a marketing strategy for "da yout." In any case, other than choosing an attitude of an ostrich or grumpy cat, it is simply an occasion for thanks when young people such as yourself, Ben and the disenfranchised "youth" actually darken the door of a Christian church.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Salieri, I wish more people knew exactly what the church tells us to do regarding music. As Gavin said, I believe, many people simply dont care about music in general: it's disposable to them.
  • francis
    Gavin 8:24AM Thanks
    This notion that young people are more attracted to chant and Latin is hogwash... None of which is to say that I oppose traditional practice. I support it. More importantly, I ACTUALLY DO IT.
    Gavin, you play two sides of the fence. For what?

Take the stats on who stays for how long listening to contemporary music and I bet you 666 bux it's a huge turnover. Fads come and go, and so do those who follow them.

Besides... if you are there just for the show, no show will keep you in your seat. That is an emotional investment no one is willing to make. However, those invested in the Mass of Jesus Christ and His one true church will remain, through thick and thin. Check out the subject on martyrdom... human experience has nothing to do with who comes and who stays.
  • CharlesW
    Young people have told me many reasons why they attend on Sunday. It's a family thing so they come and sit with their families. Some are serving in one capacity or another. Maybe they come to sit with a girl or boyfriend. Some find the ritual familiar and comforting even though they don't believe it anymore. Others have said they enjoy socializing with friends at the breakfasts after mass twice a month. What I am getting at is that it is too easy to make assumptions about young people's preferences without actually talking to them. If you do talk to them, you have to accept the fact that they may not tell you what you would like to hear.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • matthewjmatthewj
    We need to care about the spiritual needs of everyone in every age demographic. Just focusing on attracting the young cheapens what we do and turns us into TV-Ratings people (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_demographic). Do what the church asks of you, sing the Mass, have/create/do beautiful things. Beauty appeals to most.
  • Amen, Matthew!
  • GavinGavin
    As a Lutheran friend (now a pastor!) once said, "why are we focusing on youth so much? The elderly are closest to going to Heaven."
  • CharlesW
    As a Lutheran friend (now a pastor!) once said, "why are we focusing on youth so much? The elderly are closest to going to Heaven."

They also have deeper pockets. ;-)
  • BruceL
    Matthewj, I think more Turkish pop stars on the air would really improve things, just saying.
  • This notion that young people are more attracted to chant and Latin is hogwash.

Young Catholics are attracted to chant as are other Catholics of all ages. Young Catholics are driven away by the elevator music, pseudo folk and broadway tune music of today's Mass.

They would never patronize a restaurant that had such crappy music, poorly written and performed. Hogwashing music, quite lacking in rigor and integrity.

(quite lacking in rigor and integrity? You may have already been in Texas too long...)

Thanked by 2irishtenor JPike1028
  • JPike1028
    Thank you everyone! These have been great and edifying resources for me.