It's not so much /how/ you sing...
  • But what you sing. At least to me it is. Went to a cantor workshop at the cathedral recently, and it was simply a master class on voice and hand raising. I learned stuff, so that's cool, but I was appalled at what a mess some cantors are...volunteer ones the most of them. One guy bangs a guitar and sways with clapping hands, it was atrocious, even though he was a nervous wreck. Most of the discussion was how to sing the letter R... Is it that big of a deal that cantors know when to flip an r or pronounce it? Obviously I'm not a vocalist, but I do play one on Sundays. But hey at least I know the proper way to raise my arm now! Thanks, diocese, much appreciated. I always wondered.

Happy Sunday!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I would say it's both. Just singing great music doesn't necessarily make everything better... I've heard Gregorian propers brutalized to the point I yearned for a well sung hymn.

• ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    I've started studying Bel Canto basics to get a sense of the HOW of singing. It's only my first day, but the recordings are already showing improvement, and Ive only worked on breathing and first tones (C3-G3).

I agree that cantors should first work on being musicians then work on firing up the crowd, if that is what they believe is necessary. As a matter of fact, being better musicians may achieve their end goal without extra effort. So many are just cheerleaders with a guitar or piano and they really don't know what they're doing. Oh, and before anybody gets this idea: you can know what you're doing without training or a degree. The desire to learn and learn correctly helps. A teacher is always preferred for anything you want to learn, but we all know that the resource isn't always available, nor is the money to hire one.

Poorly sung Gregorian propers would make me yearn for properly sung Gregorian propers.
    Thanked by 1Continuousbass
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Well, that too.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Yesterday I visited a church I visit once a year or so. I was delighted to hear that the cantor/MD (he was doing both) was singing and playing better, and was playing more organ (and people were singing more to it.) But his vowels remain atrociously "hillbilly". So yes, pronunciation does matter.
    Thanked by 1Continuousbass
  • Jani
    If your parish wants to sing, they will try so hard, even while attempting to follow a song leader with a lethal weapon (a guitar on which the nuns taught the player a few chords 40 years ago); they will try to follow every distorted melody, every miscounted bar, every false note, stop, and start, until their tongues bleed. And they are better people than me, cuz I just have to close the hymnal in utter defeat.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Oh I just sing it right regardless of what's being presented by the cantor/organist/guitarist/etc. I won't let someone's poor performance ruin my enjoyment of song.
  • Jani
    I've tried that, especially with songs I really love. Most of the time though, it doesn't work too well.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Me too. My daughters stomp on my feet (or used to, when they were young enough to be there with me).