Colloquium: White Suit Wednesday
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Colloquium attendees: this is a note to remind you to bring your white suits for WHITE SUIT WEDNESDAY.

This unofficial event will hopefully become an annual tradition!

The weather forecast for WSW is 76 degrees, which puts us above the minimum-accepted-standard-temperature for white suit wearing (72 degrees).

The CMAA has been so successful in reviving Gregorian chant! Let us also return the white suit to Summer wardrobes everywhere!

If you don't have a white suit.... head out now and purchase one. I will wait here.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    It's worth mentioning here that searsucker is also a time-honored summer wardrobe choice, in grey or blue stripes.

I'll be unable to participate fully in WSW this year, as my recent professional setback makes it financially too extravagant.

But don't you worry. I have other wardrobe options up my sleeve.
    Thanked by 2Gavin expeditus1
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Seersucker Saturday. Don't confuse days.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Thanked by 3Jahaza JulieColl Ally
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    Crumbs!
  • TCJ
    I think I have a white T-shirt somewhere...
    Thanked by 1Ralph Bednarz
  • expeditus1
    Tidy white T-shirts only - no dingy, discolored ones, please. Wife-beater T-shirts not acceptable Colloquium wear.
  • WendiWendi
    I don't do suits. I will have a white dress and a lovely straw hat.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Then we shall consider you to be "kinda participating." You'll get the member card, but not the commemorative mug or novelty foam finger.
  • BenBen
    I'll be wearing my white hat, at least.
  • WendiWendi
    matthew...:)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Maybe it's a good thing that circumstances prevent me from attending this year. Somehow, with (1) Mass on the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Extraordinary Form, (2) the possible (probable?) incongruity of white suits, other white attire, and the colors of those who don't get the message, and (3) my own birthday (neither white nor my birthday suit would suit me) ... I think I'd feel rather out of place.

But enjoy your dress-up day at midweek anyway. I shall miss not getting to meet all of you.
  • CharlesW
    I still think all that white will look like a pimps convention from the disco era. ;-)
  • WendiWendi
    Well...I can't speak for others but I went with more of a 1950's garden party look myself.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Jenny
  • CharlesW
    Sounds pretty classy.
  • WendiWendi
    I think so...perhaps someone is bringing a camera and will post pictures for everyone who can't make it...and by the way...we'll miss you.
  • CharlesW
    Wish I could be there. Too much going on in the parish right now.
  • WendiWendi
    I was forced out by members of the congregation with big wallets and a facility for complaining. I have all sorts of time on my hands.
  • CharlesW
    I didn't think being absent on the new pastor's first Sunday would be a good thing.
  • matthewjmatthewj

I still think all that white will look like a pimps convention from the disco era. ;-)

This is just silly. White suits should be a regular occurrence during the Summer!

They're naturally cooling (which is especially helpful if one lives in the hottest place in the United States), look terrific, and are very versatile items for one's closet.

Prior to getting married I wore a white suit every Wednesday from mid-Spring until September. Now I live in a home with a black dog, so its a bit more difficult, but I still try to wear one every few weeks. Any occasion works for a white suit too - the office, grocery shopping, an afternoon stroll, beach attire, a fine restaurant, cocktails by the pool, etc.
  • CharlesW
    Don't forget the platform shoes. ;-)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Jani
    I don't remember seeing anyone in a white suit last year. Being in Salt Lake City should qualify as "an occasion." :-D
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Happily I report I saw no one in SLC 12 in their white undergarments as well, Deo gratias!
    Thanked by 1Jani
  • CharlesW
    Some years ago when the Marcos still ruled in the Philippines, some members of the family were in my town for an event, the purpose of which I don't even remember. All the hundred or so men in the entourage were in white suits. It was kind of impressive, although a bit eerie.
  • I didn't think being absent on the new pastor's first Sunday would be a good thing.

Especially on the first Sunday with the pastor who was led into firing me by "well-meaning, Let's get rid of the 30 new people in the choir and have our little 16 person choir back again. people."

In fact, you will be working with the same pastoral team, pastor and associate that hired me back then!
  • CharlesW
    I have known that "new" pastor for at least thirty years. I don't anticipate any problems with him. I don't want to be absent his first Sunday as pastor because I can't guarantee what the other folks in the choir loft will do if I am not there to lead them. They don't do well when left on their own. Things have a way of going downhill fast.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Are we going to end up looking like a Tom Wolfe Impersonator Convention?
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • CharlesW
    Or a Charlie Chan movie? LOL. They seemed to wear white a lot in those.
  • I have known that "new" pastor for at least thirty years

He and Fr. Orr make a great team - but you know that!
  • eft94530eft94530
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Stimson, the white jacket to Wolfe is incidental. His "real" thing is the Victorian shirt collar, chokingly high with a tight double Windsor.
    I refuse to do the big knot single Windsor, and to consternate MJM I will likely do Big White on top, but other hues for shirt, tie and pantaloons.
    I live to consternate MJM.
  • CharlesW
    The Chan movies were late night TV fare in my youth.
  • BruceL
    These Arizonans must have cleaner galleries than we have in Birmingham; if I went up to the organ in a white suit, I'd look like a zebra (or a Holstein?) after a few minutes of walking around!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Time to send the cleaning crew up for a few hours.