The Enchanted Circle
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    I've been working on a piece for flute solo and it has gone nameless for a long time: then something gave me the notion of calling it "Melofluent". Forumites, good idea or bad? Charles, permission? It's not an homage, but the piece has something of the character of the word. It will end up being a 'Syrinx-like' piece, with my own tuning ideas naturally.

Edit: regretfully leaning toward changing the title ...

William
    Thanked by 2melofluent Gavin
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Love it. I imagine Melo must have a most mellifluous tenor voice.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Really quite Meloquial, this!
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • CharlesW
    Melificent! Love it!
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Well, with some suitably clever marketing you should both become affluent!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'm not sure about that, Jackson. But if I can't render a decent recording should William follow through with something I can manage, then we run the risk of becoming effluent. ;-)
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Here's a portion of it. Still a work in progress, and not intended for church use.

Recording (synth) at https://soundcloud.com/williamcopper/0582_melofluent

Pdf below. J
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Kathy
    [Fixed photo.--admin]image
    Thanked by 1Choirparts
  • I find this micro-notation easier to read and play.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Adam Wood Ben
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Actually, continuousbass, though I think you were joking, it is correct and unambiguous. I've looked for alternative notations to my homegrown variety. .... Maybe ... with mine, the idea has been that an experienced performer will mostly ignore the markings, but have them available for careful review of what is tuned how when it's needed why by whom.

Second review: no, it's not complete: the very common two-comma low third of secondary dominant (an A#, 75/32, or 11/32, in the key of G) is missing, and the parallel D#, low G#. But it's still an idea ...

Kathy, not sure what you mean, beyond "it's hard to see"...?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Unless I'm mistaken:
    CB's example is of micro-tonal music - that is, music with deliberately more then 24 (mas o menos) named pitch classes- essentially "extended technique" with regards available pitches.
    This is in contrast to Mr. C's system, which is a (more or less) traditional understanding of music theory and harmony, except wherein an understanding of intonation may inform the course of the composer's craft and the performer's execution.

That is to say, I don't think that CB's and Mr. C's notational systems are in conflict/competition, but rather that they have wholly different purposes.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    It also doesn't include Pythagorean major thirds built on G (B-Pyth = 81/64). But it is quite representative of 11-just temperament possibilities.
  • Kathy
    Mr copper, is there a sideways picture on my comment in your browser?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Kathy, it's sideways before I click it, then right-side up after I click it.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Kathy's photo, got it now, ty Chonak.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • @mrcopper this particular scale is a limited 31 tones per octave symmetrical, which was used for flute by Dean Drummond of Newband, as well as his zoomoozophone.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • GavinGavin
    Wow.... I never heard of Newband or the zoomoozophone. I thought Mr. Bass was just making up words.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Continousbass, thanks. It's an interesting notation. My problem with it and similar efforts is the implication that one can go from any one of the pitches to any other (somehow). If I lay out the 41 pitches used in the Romance for Violin, for example, in a lattice form:

-----------------------A#---------------------
    -------------------Fx------F#-----------------
    -----------------------D#---------------------
    -------------------B#------B------------------
    -----------------------G#------G--------------
    -------------------E#------E------Eb----------
    ---------------Cx------C#------C--------------
    -------------------A#------A------Ab----------
    ---------------Fx------F#------F--------------
    -------------------D#------D------Db----------
    ---------------B#------B-------Bb-------------
    -------------------G#------G------------------
    -----------------------E-------Eb-------------
    -------------------C#------C------------------
    -----------------------A-------Ab-------------
    -------------------F#------F------------------
    -----------------------D----------------------
    -------------------B-------Bb-----------------
    -----------------------G----------------------
    ---------------------------Eb-----------------

extending up and down by fifths from the open strings of the violin, and with third relations on diagonals, then I not only have a set of pitches, i also have a set of PATHS, which are tunable melodic intervals. My technique is to use only those tunable paths to form melodies.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    This is for Chuck and anyone else with a math background and/or weird interests, just speculation:

Let's represent Melofluent's melody in the traditional pitchclass interval format:
    [357230] (first four bars).

One improvement, signed intervals: [-3 5 7 -2 -3 0 ]

Now, these intervals are themselves ratios: [ -6/5, 4/3, 3/2, -10/9, -6/5, 1/1 ]

And these ratios can be represented by real numbers:

[ -1.2000, 1.3333, 1.5000, -1.1111, 1.2000, 1.0000 ] or subtracting 1

[ -0.2000, 0.3333, 0.5000, -0.1111, 0.2000, 0.0000 ]

The question: are there ways to manipulate a set of real numbers in a meaningful way musically?

And another question: is is conceivable to get the rhythm combined with the set somehow: simplistically, for example, 2 for the half note, 1 for the quarter and multiply, gives

[ -2.4000, 1.3333, 3.0000, -1.1111, 2.4000, 3.000 ]

And another question: the set is ordered. Might one use the ordinal number itself in some recursive way?
  • You could assign rhythm to the imaginary axis, and have an array of the complex numbers. [(-2.4,2i);(1.3333,i);(3,.5i)...], or a simple array of reals (x,y), however for simultaneity you may wish to use the complex sets in an x,y,z (or more dimensions for more polyphony) array like [({x,i}'{y,i}'{z,i});...] that gives independent lengths to three sounds... Letting the real number ratios to be frequency factors from the prime unison 1:1, you can transpose, invert, augment, etc. by math. Ordering the array [(1);(2);(3)...], you can re-sort the entries to retrograde or any arbitrary sequence. Order can be assigned other elements, such as timbre, dynamics, etc. So that kind of work reminds me of Serialism.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Um, a few comments, although I am not sure just how relevant they are.

1) "Ratios" such as -6/5 are real numbers: -6/5 = -1.2.

2) You didn't actually subtract 1 from the (signed) numbers: you subtracted 1 from the positive numbers and added 1 to the negative numbers. At any rate, since succession of pitch ratios behaves multiplicatively (not additively), any such subtraction (or addition) is, on the whole, meaningless, except to distort the nature of the ratios themselves.

3) Actually, signed numbers (ratios) is not really what should be considered here, anyway. It is the (positive) ratio of the (absolute) frequencies <2nd freq>/<1st freq>, so that a descending interval will have a ratio less than one, while an ascending interval will have a pitch greater than one. Thus, in your example the ratios would be:

[5/6, 4/3, 3/2, 9/10, 5/6, 1]

Now, once we have the sequence in 3), it is easy to see what the ratios are when one skips over notes (eg. this might be reasonable for skipping over "passing" notes). Thus (while the 2nd, 4th and 6th notes are not passing notes in your example, they are not the downbeat notes, so to get the pitch ratios for the intervals from the 1st to 3rd to 5th to 7th notes, just multiply pairs of ratios:

[5/6*4/3, 3/2*9/10, 5/6*1] =[ 10/9, 27/20, 5/6]

which fits with the pitchclass interval sequence [2, 5, -3] for the intervals of successive downbeats. Note the crooked fourth ratio 27/20, which suggests that the somewhat narrow 9/10 descending major second ratio would be better served by using a the wider ratio of 8/9 ... for then the second downbeat ratio would be 3/2*8/9 = 4/3, namely that of a perfect fourth. This makes the downbeat ratio for the first measure to the third measure equal to 10/9*4/3 = 40/27, which is, of course, a crooked fifth, where originally this ratio was 10/9*27/20 = 3/2, a perfect fifth.

Put differently, the absolute pitches (taking G=1) of the notes, in your original sequence are:

[1, 5/6, 10/9, 5/3, 3/2, 5/4, 5/4] = [G, E, A, E, D, B, B];

of course, these are part of the G-major scale with absolute pitch ratios:

[G, A, B, (C), D, E] = [1, 10/9, 5/4, (4/3), 3/2, 5/3].

I have noticed that the first four measures of your melody are entirely pentatonic, which prompts some further thoughts. But more about that later.
  • CharlesW
    Some of you guys have too much free time. Idle hands...
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    CharlesW ... i am a mathematician, as well as a musician. For some it may seem idle hands and too much free time. But this is in the nature of scholarly research and application, all in a quest for a better understanding and practice of our compositional and performance art and craft.
  • CharlesW
    Charles, I knew that. I was actually referring to some of the others.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Interesting. CharlesW, this is WORK, btw, fun tho it may be.

I like the idea of the array (x,y) with pitch, rhythm kept separate, and yes, the correction of my ratios to greater or less than 1 for up or down is definitely an improvement. Forcing downbeats to pure tuning would be wrong however: it's a feature of the melody that the downbeats do NOT make a pure fifth/fourth. Or perhaps that the melody is in 6/4 with the pure fifth at the third bar ... but see Kathy's comment re 6 in another thread, not that I agree with that.

Great thoughts, I'm still working through these ideas. If only Melo himself can play them ...
  • CharlesW
    I think Melo could probably play about anything he wanted to play. All the math and analysis in the world, however, doesn't make music bearable to hear. LOL.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Quite true. I already know, though, that Act IV of this little piece is going be all about DO SI RE, with the high tuned A. That's music analysis, not math. I'd just like to get there in a mathematically interesting way.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    For instance, again, musically I can see clearly that a diatonic expansion of the melody will be useful: G - D | A(high) - F# | D - A | A . [ 4/5 3/2 12/7 4/5 3/4 1/1 ]

But how to get from [5/6, 4/3, 3/2, 9/10, 5/6, 1] to [ 3/4 3/2 5/3 4/5 3/4 1/1] I don't see.
  • Without mathematical realities as they relate to physics we would have no music.
    But!, thankfully, we don't have to understand mathematics or physics to make beautiful music; and, likely, make it with more poetry than of which a mathematician ever dreamed. (Poetry, fortunately, is not reducable to mathematical formulae, and, is a spiritual, rather than a physical, phenomenon.)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Gavin
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    William ... I have no idea what you are talking about in your most recent post. I guess maybe you are changing the melody, but keeping something like its overall shape? And 4/5 does not correctly represent the interval G - D at all (it's a major third, not a fourth). Maybe this is my first confusion. Do you want 3/4 in place of that initial 4/5? And surely, 12/7 cannot be the interval pitch ratio from A(high) to F-sharp ... I'm guessing you want 5/3 (ascending major sixth) instead, or possibly 5/6 (descending minor third). This would give the pitch interval sequence: [3/4, 3/2, 5/3, 4/5, 3/4, 1/1]. If I'm way off base here, please enlighten me.

By the way, pentatonic scales have often been given Pythagorean temperament. Thus your original four measures would have pitch interval sequence: [27/32, 4/3, 3/2, 8/9, 27/32, 1/1] (note just powers of 2 and 3 in all ratios).
    Thanked by 1mrcopper
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Yes, carelessness, and unfamiliarity with treating the intervals as ratios. Corrected now. My expansion of the melody was a simple matter of making each interval one diatonic step larger (major or minor second, whichever leaves the interval in the same diatonic scale).

It's important to the piece, as I imagined it, that the second bar A be tuned low: I've worked before on the notion of Shenkerian second scale step being brought into play only when its tuning changes from low to high, ie from subdominant to dominant harmony. So that's going to be the overriding structure: G (low A) B (high A) G.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    What I've seen thus far, William, I think I can manage or render decently, most likely with some measure of rubato for the sake of these 63 year old hands. I'll probably practice it on my $99 blue plated nickel Jollysun flute rather than Mr. Miramatsu's instrument, tho' both are from Japan! We'll just have to wait and see!
    Thanked by 1mrcopper
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    [edit] removed most recent update; a few more days it should be done but the bridge is out right now ...
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Got sidetracked, getting back to it soon. Here's a children's song for the interim:

Samuel Taylor Coleridge's "Answer to a Child's Question"

Do you know ask what the birds say? The Sparrow, the Dove,
    The Linnet and Thrush, say "I love and I love!"

https://soundcloud.com/williamcopper/0484_1_do_you_ask

• mrcoppermrcopper
    Almost done. Tentative new title "The Enchanted Circle". Also toyed with "Golden Drop of Sun" since it is kind of a study on the tuning of RE.

https://soundcloud.com/williamcopper/0582_enchanted_circle

WIP Score attached. Edit: finished score attached. May need one more pass of revision to get more smoothly to the end.
  • francis
    mrcopper

I like this! (melo piece)
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Thanks, Francis... still working on it. Also posted a couple of the 10 or so flute quartets I've written recently, at https://soundcloud.com/williamcopper
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    I'm going to leave the Melofluent/Enchanted Circle piece to rise a bit more: not entirely satisfied with it.

Here is "Sailing!" for Flute and String trio: https://soundcloud.com/williamcopper/0546_sailing
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    And an arrangement of O Danny Boy for Flute and Strings: https://soundcloud.com/williamcopper/0547_danny_boy