• aldine
  • www.pewmissal.com
  • chonakchonak
    The St. Michael Hymnal
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    St Michael Hymnal
    Adoremus Hymnal
    V2 Hymnal
    Hymns Psalms and Spiritual Canticles (difficult to find but excellent)
  • SalieriSalieri
    If you get the Lumen Christi Missal (Illuminare Publications), you will have the readings for every Sunday of the Church year and a set of simple chants for the processions at Mass (Introit, Offertory, Communion), Responsorial Psalms and Alleluias, and a good selection of simple chant Masses in English and Latin. This can be supplemented by the Lumen Christi Simple Gradual-Choir edition, which has the same chants as the Missal with psalm verses to extend the antiphons. In combination with this you could get a music-only hymnal.

Or:

You can get a hymnal with readings (like Worship IV) and supplement it with the Lumen Christi Simple Gradual-Pew Edition, which contains all the chants found in the Lumen Christi Missal (Processional propers, and Mass settings), and the LCSG-Choir Ed. (with psalm-verses).

The Lumen Christi series is highly to be praised and is extremely versatile, and can be integrated into any program. -- Do NOT be afraid of square-notes ... they're easier than round ones!

(I am not employed by Illuminare Publications)
  • chonakchonak
    "Hymns, Psalms, and Spiritual Canticles" is mainly of historical interest now, since it is not in print and it does not include a musical setting for the current English edition of the Roman Missal.
  • aldine
  • I apologise, firstly, for bumping. I couldn't help it, it's the Anglo-Catholic in me. There are plenty of historical hymnals that are simply phenominal. Firstly, the English Hymnal. Ralph Vaughan Williams was the editor, and it features amazing decants, especially on Adeste Fidelis and All People on Earth Do Dwell. Hymns Ancient and Modern is quite useful, but also quite similar to the English Hymnal. The most renown American hymnal is by far The Hymnal, 1940. It's one of the most brilliant collections of hymns ever conceived. The English Hymnal's 1985 revision, the New English Hymnal, is also pretty quality, though it rewords some of the more traditional hymns. An honourable mention goes to the Sarum Hymnal. I would also look for a collection of John Henry Newman's hymns and the translations of Latin hymns that he created. The language used mirrors in many ways that of the Book of Common Prayer.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    The English Hymnal's 1985 revision, the New English Hymnal, is also pretty quality,

I second this. Some wonderful treasures in here. Whenever I go fishing for a new hymn in my New English Hymnal, I always find a winner. The only difficulty is that the text is more often than not separated from the music.

We're actually singing a favorite from The New English Hymnal tomorrow: Maker of earth to Thee alone (DUMFERNLINE).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FLdHKnImNA