Social Justice

• From pipechat.org

If any church employee finds themselves unfairly terminated, they should contact and file a complaint with their local Division or Commission of Human Rights. For instance, here is the NYS website. Each state should have their own:
    http://www.dhr.ny.gov

They will act on your behalf, you won't require your own lawyer, there is no cost to you and you will be fairly and aggressively represented. There is a strong chance you will lose because of the separation of church and state. However, it will raise awareness to your employer, the church and the diocese on how unfair and unjust an institution of social justice can be. It may also cost them money since they will probably hire lawyers to represent themselves.

Churches are notorious for at-whim terminations and not paying into unemployment insurance. When an employee is let go, they are usually left with no unemployment or other benefits to get them by until the next job. Not to act is to act and as long as church employees roll over and accept unfair treatment, nothing will change and future generations will be walked on.
  • Not to act is to act and as long as church employees roll over and accept unfair treatment, nothing will change and future generations will be walked on.
    Thanked by 2hilluminar Adam Wood
  • Churches are notorious for at-whim terminations and not paying into unemployment insurance

How's that for a premise masquerading as a conclusion?
  • chonakchonak
    Isn't it an observation?
    Thanked by 1Liam
  • matthewjmatthewj
    OK... maybe in a perfect world this would be a good thing to do.

But this is NOT a perfect world.

IF you do this, other priests WILL hear about it.

They will be TERRIFIED to hire you.

Maybe they know your former boss is difficult to work with; maybe they don't... Maybe they even think that you were legitimately fired unfairly! It doesn't matter. They won't likely be willing to risk it. Because, after all, you could just be a lunatic that files frivolous complaints and lawsuits.

If you find yourself fired unfairly, I'm very sorry, but it is probably best to shake the dust from your sandals and find a new job.
  • donr
    It is up to you before your hired to get IN WRITING your terms of release if they do not have a policy.
    If they do have a policy, make sure you read it, don't just sign.

Terms of employment and terms of release are important. Lawsuits can and should only be filed if those terms are not followed.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I really don't understand why the musicians of a diocese can't unionize. Collective bargaining, contracts, arbitration over firings, all that.

Someone will say "Well then they would just use volunteers for music." Sure, some would. But many can't or wouldn't, nor would many find volunteers willing to run the choir, play on Sundays for up to 6 masses, etc. I believe that MANY parishes would not be able to replace paid musicians - in fact most - and would have to just deal with the union.

Is there a legal or other reason that this can't be done?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    I think the churches are exempt from many of the labor laws, but a lawyer needs to address that.
    OK... maybe in a perfect world this would be a good thing to do.

But this is NOT a perfect world.

IF you do this, other priests WILL hear about it.

They will be TERRIFIED to hire you.

Maybe they know your former boss is difficult to work with; maybe they don't... Maybe they even think that you were legitimately fired unfairly! It doesn't matter. They won't likely be willing to risk it. Because, after all, you could just be a lunatic that files frivolous complaints and lawsuits.

If you find yourself fired unfairly, I'm very sorry, but it is probably best to shake the dust from your sandals and find a new job.

I agree with you, but I guess the idea is that EVERYONE, universally, should just start doing this if they are terminated. Then it becomes not "Oh, Matthew is the one crazy one who did this," but rather "Well, that is what they all do when terminated under any hazy circumstances."
  • donr
    garage bands are just looking for a place to play. Some will even pay to play in bars and such.
    just put an add in the paper that the Catholic Church is looking for a rock band and you'll have no problem getting free music.
    If you pay them $30 a head you would be surprised you will come out of the wood work just to get paid.
  • You could just have been working for a tyrant that fires for frivolous reasons and pressure from large donors, knowing that he and his priest buddies can and will do this over again because they have nothing to fear.

It's not about me or you getting even, it is about you or me having the _________ (insert your own favorite word here) to stand up and chance never working in a Catholic church again BUT improving the chance that these practices be recognized and eliminated.

In 100 years, no one will care that you shook the dust off your organ shoes and moved on. It will have made no difference to the future.

Insisting on fair treatment of people who work in churches is a social issue. Or isn't it?

It is really hard to get fired from a Protestant church music position.

Priests who fire without prior notice are administrators who fail to act as Christ himself would act.

We have priests who post here. Let's hear from them, give them an opportunity to see things from the viewpoint of what they think about fellow priests who do this...all the time.
  • BruceL
    I really don't understand why the musicians of a diocese can't unionize. Collective bargaining, contracts, arbitration over firings, all that.

Is there a legal or other reason that this can't be done?

I think its precedent, with Catholic school teachers and even priests in the Chicago archdiocese, is something we want to avoid. Once you unionize, it's hard to stay explicitly Christian. Imagine if there were unions in the early Church...
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
    I think its precedent, with Catholic school teachers and even priests in the Chicago archdiocese, is something we want to avoid. Once you unionize, it's hard to stay explicitly Christian. Imagine if there were unions in the early Church...

It's an idea whose time has come. And the union would be as explicitly Christian as it's members and leaders - which hopefully are, if they are serving as music directors.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Gossip?

Did OCP escape being included in the bankruptcy - a cash cow that got out of the corral?

Here's an analysis of the events.

http://bankrupt.com/catholic.txt

Bruce:

Once you unionize, it's hard to stay explicitly Christian. Imagine if there were unions in the early Church...

There were. They called themselves Christians. We are descended from them.
    garage bands are just looking for a place to play. Some will even pay to play in bars and such.
    just put an add in the paper that the Catholic Church is looking for a rock band and you'll have no problem getting free music.
    If you pay them $30 a head you would be surprised you will come out of the wood work just to get paid.

It's not that easy. And even the most boneheaded of priests wouldn't normally like the result that they produce.

Most priests TRY to be liturgically knowledgeable even if their knowledge is factually wrong! But they pride themselves on reading those OCP magazines or the office of worship bulletins or whatever - and I think most would reject this idea.
  • CharlesW
    Let's face it. One hundred years after Leo XIII his teachings still have not been implemented in the Church, of all places!
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
    Another reason that the volunteer thing wouldn't really work - reliability.

Just think about your most dedicated choir members - people who are totally into the choir and its music. My most hard core ones miss one rehearsal or Sunday a month.

I can just imagine getting a garage band and saying "OK, so you will do this, EVERY single Sunday at 10 am, like, from now on, unless maybe one Sunday a year you get a replacement?" I can hear the response now "Whoa, no, no, I mean, we can help out sometimes, but next month we are traveling on the second Sunday, oh and the last Sunday, we did get a gig at a bar playing until 2 am SAT night, so I can't see that we'll be there Sunday morning, and then the next month is ..."
  • If any church employee finds themselves unfairly terminated, they should contact and file a complaint with their local Division or Commission of Human Rights.

If every person who was blindsided and fired without prior notice and meetings exploring the employment relationship prior to the firing, if every person who experienced that would file and the priests knew that there was a chance that this would happen, dragging them into having to justify their actions to the Bishop and the local division of Human Rights...it would bring about change that is and has been needed.

Yes, because of church and state the claim may be thrown out but they will have to determine this and that alone will tie up the Diocesan HR person and involve them in dealing with the Human Rights people each time.

Yes, you can and will be branded and possibly never work in a Catholic church again - but that's also what can and will happen because you were fired anyhow.

IF we all do this, before long the Diocesan HR person will sit down with the priests and explain that they need to learn to follow fair employment practices and change will happen fast.

I actually think that all of this isn't as "pie-in-the-sky" as some might think.

NPM is a powerful force, and tends to get bishops to listen. If they made this their pet issue and hammered on it with the episcopal conference, sure some bishops would never listen. But some would. And eventually you'd start getting a "standard practice." And eventually some real good would come of it.

I think Noel is on the right track; but I also think a unionizing conversation should be had, and I think NPM should pound this issue - hard. Imagine what could come if Cardinal Dinardo told his fellow bishops that it is a moral issue that musicians should have contracts and insurance against unjust firing.
  • dad29
    It's an idea whose time has come. And the union would be as explicitly Christian as it's members and leaders - which hopefully are, if they are serving as music directors.

Were that the case, it would be called a "guild," not a union. There IS a difference.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
    Please expand on how a union is antithetical to being Christian.

I'm fearing that the answer is going to have something to do with their traditional alliance with the democratic party, which, you know, everyone knows is anti-Christian.
  • dad29
    Just for fun, define "unfair" firing. Are 'artistic differences' unfair? How about budget concerns?

• dad29
    Did I say that 'a union is antithetical to being Christian'?
    That's for the contract to define and an arbitrator to determine.

This works fine in other professions; cops are fired, and sometimes win their jobs back or not. Teachers can be fired and sometimes win their jobs back or not.

It would be the same with us.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
    No, but you seem to be implying it. You seem to think there's a problem with this idea.
  • G
    http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/supreme_court_bars_narcoleptic_lutheran_teachers_suit_against_church_school/

Hard to believe that a "music minister" wouldn't fall outside the jurisdiction of the state.

I belong to unions. I'm happy to follow directives, nope, you can't "volunteer" extra rehearsal time just to keep the first preview from being humiliatingly bad, or no, you can not agree to share a dressing room meant for 2 with 6 people, or if the backstage heat is broken you don't go on in 30 degree weather.

But I'd be d***** if I would be told by a union that I couldn't do whatever I saw fit to, to help at Church.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • G
    the contract to define and an arbitrator to determine.

This works fine in other professions; cops are fired, and sometimes win their jobs back or not. Teachers can be fired and sometimes win their jobs back or not.

It would be the same with us.
    Well it shouldn't be the same with us.
    I want the pastor to be able to fire someone for working or volunteering for Planned Parenthood, I want him to be able to let someone go who engages in a same sex "marriage."
    How long would that be possible if we allowed the government to become involved in Church employment issues to this extent?

A union isn't the government.

And I prefer financial security for my small children over a priest being able to fire someone because they went to Starbucks after said company made a donation to a marriage equality fund.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
    Besides that - When contract negotiations go on, both sides have input and have to agree. It wouldn't be that hard for the diocese to insist that there be provisions in the contract about openly disagreeing with Church teaching.
  • dad29
    Your ultra-sensitive feelings have overcome the plain meaning of my text, which has NOTHING to do with "Christianity."

Secondly: no contract can define "artistic capability," no matter that you may think so. And "financial problems" is going to be the catch-all trump card.

You want security? Get a job with Gummint--which is not the Church.
    Secondly: no contract can define "artistic capability," no matter that you may think so. And "financial problems" is going to be the catch-all trump card.

How does a contract define teaching success? How do you define the knowledge and skills needed to do any job?

AGAIN - This would be for the arbitrator to decide.

Mandating the possession of degrees and AGO certificates would be a GREAT place to start.

"Financial problems" is an excuse that only goes so far. Cities lay off cops when they have financial problems - but you better believe the union is vigilant and has their say - and the cops get brought back as soon as they are out of financial problems.

So you claim financial problems, but then invest $10,000 in the new lifeteen group? NOPE. They would cry foul.

This has worked quite well in other types of jobs and we are not so special or unique that it can't work with us too.
  • bonniebede
    Wow. you actually pay people to play music at church. What a rich country. I have heard it happens here, once or twice...

8. The parish music budget will not fall below 7% of the total parish budget and shall contain line items as specified in the contract.

9. The Director of Music Ministries shall obtain continuing education in musical-liturgical education, particularly in the area of preparation/planning.
    In addition, the Director of Music Ministries shall obtain continuing education in the area of communication with staff.
    In addition, the Director of Music Ministries will be allowed one weekend off for a three-day retreat at the Diocesan Retreat Center.
    Funds for this education are contained in the line items as specified in the budget.

10. The Parish music program shall be evaluated as follows:
    a. Six parishioners, two from the music program appointed by the Director of Music Ministries, two from and appointed by the Liturgy Committee, and two selected at-large, shall meet three months before the end of the contract.
    b. This Evaluation Committee shall examine the goals for the program as stated in this job description and evaluate the program based on those goals. The Evaluation Committee shall also comment on the overall condition of the program and the work of the Director of Music Ministries.
    c. The Evaluation Committee shall submit a written report of their findings to the Director of Liturgy sixty days before the end of this contract.

11. The performance of the Director of Music Ministries shall be evaluated by the Director of Liturgy (or pastor) who shall review the evaluation of the program submitted by the Evaluation Committee and, based on the statement of personal goals contained in this contract, shall evalu- ate the work of the Director. This material will serve as the basis for any annual raise.

http://www.npm.org/Sections/images/DMMDSalaryGuidelines.pdf
  • JahazaJahaza
    Unionization of church musicians would be difficult in New York because each Catholic parish is its own civil law corporation and usually only has one music employee. The power of unionism doesn't really work with just one employee as I understand it.
  • Liam
    "You want security? Get a job with Gummint--which is not the Church."

Considering how public sector employment has fared in the last six years, that's a trope that has an increasingly remote tether to reality.
  • JahazaJahaza
    Though the (non music director contract) musicians I know would love to get the Local 802 NYC scale for Church gigs, which starts at $267/call. The minimum cost per call to the employing Church including health and pension contributions is $360. And that's not including "Federal, State & City income & payroll taxes, unemployment insurance, FICA, Worker's compensation & disability," because union musicians are apparently paid as W-4 employees and not 1099 contractors.

That change from contractor to employee though would mean that the cost of paying dues to the union would be more than compensated by the employer paying payroll tax rather than the musician paying self-employment tax. Vitiating the frequent dues complaint about unionism.
  • CharlesW

Look for the union label,
    When you are buying an ounce or a pound...

Or something like that. ;-)
  • Noel - my last fairly non-descript suburban parish had a yearly budget of 3.5 million dollars/year. At 7% the music budget would be $245,000 a year.

Very cool? Yes! Realistic? I'm not sure.

Of course, one year I was there they banked a 200k surplus even while making staff salary cuts...maybe they did have music money after all...
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Mine pulled the same on the asst. DRE and myself.

Pastor let KOC members handle the checkbook, no budget.

New pastor finds $300,000 in a secret fund - "If we ever need a new roof." and a total of 1.5 million these local KOC had hidden away from the former pastor...
  • Very cool? Yes! Realistic? I'm not sure

Tell that to NPM in 2001, it's their document.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    "I really don't understand why the musicians of a diocese can't unionize."

Because the labor movement is a wholly owned subsidiary of international Marxism, with the attitude toward religion that that implies. (Not "the Democrat Party"). I'm with BruceL here: unionization of church employees has tended toward a weakening of the faith. Part of that is just the culture (sleep with union organizers, get up with fleas), but a more important reason is the structure of the relationship with unions as a financial agent. If the chief purpose of a union is to protect its members livelihoods (and isn't that the point?), then it must treat the church as an adversary. If a parochial school teacher teaches heresy (or publicly lives heresy, as in recent cases of same-sex 'marriage") and quiet correction has been unsuccessful, the union will try to prevent the firing, to the detriment of the Church's mission. Now, it could be claimed that a specifically Catholic union would not do this. Such a union, if effective, would deal with the heretic themselves. (which would make them more of a guild in dad29's sense). And in fact the unions in place are specifically Catholic institutions. I'll admit to being ill-informed on the inside baseball, but it doesn't seem that they are functioning much differently from secular unions. Another place where unions (AFM) have had an unfortunate effect: St. Agnes.

Here's another scenario: the DM/lead guitar of St. Timothy Leary is a member of the Catholic Musician's Guild. The pastor is rotated out, and new Fr. Christopher is a dedicated RotR-type. He finds out that DM can't really read round notes let alone square ones. Not only does he not want to change the parish music style, he is incapable of doing so. When Fr. kindly and regretfully lets him go, what does the union do?

Yes, I know organizing is permissible. I think that Leo XIII was imagining a union not of this world. I don't know how you square those two facts. I'm not opposed to musicians unionizing in principle. I just don't see it working in practice.
    Thanked by 2hilluminar Adam Wood
  • G
    A union isn't the government....Besides that - When contract negotiations go on, both sides have input and have to agree.

What entity do you imagine would, for want of a better word, "enforce" contracts?
    Collective bargaining is governed by federal and state statutory laws, administrative agency regulations, and judicial decisions. In areas where federal and state law overlap, state laws are preempted.
    It wouldn't be that hard for the diocese to insist that there be provisions in the contract about openly disagreeing with Church teaching.
    I would have agreed with you at one point, but when the Little Sisters of the Poor have to fight their own government rather than pay for something that is morally repugnant to them as religious sisters in the Church, it is ludicrous to believe that there aren't people who would fight tooth and nail to overturn such provisions.
    fire someone because they went to Starbucks after said company made a donation to a marriage equality fund.
    Setting up strawmen makes an argument look foolish.
    Ignoring the difference between formal and material cooperation doesn't put anyone in a good position to make moral judgements even for himself, much less others

Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Unionization? We had that, we had the AGO, let's ask them how well that worked out for them. They put a church on the "black list",,, and by the end of the week, a new musician was in and playing.
  • A Diocese could avoid all this by having a simple, clear agreement drawn up that protects both sides and insists that each parish use it, to protect the diocese and the employee.

90 days notice of possible termination, reviews every 30 days after notice to attempt to rectify matters and if it is impossible, close the door.

Right now, "You're fired." and out the door almost always means that someone that has the pastor's ear wants you out and father trusts their judgement.
    Thanked by 1Wendi
  • G
    A Diocese could avoid all this by having a simple, clear agreement drawn up that protects both sides and insists that each parish use it, to protect the diocese and the employee.
    This.

• Any Bishop who is not willing, when approached, to do this, has no faith in the ethics of his priests.
  • Yes, you can and will be branded and possibly never work in a Catholic church again - but that's also what can and will happen because you were fired anyhow.

IF we all do this, before long the Diocesan HR person will sit down with the priests and explain that they need to learn to follow fair employment practices and change will happen fast.

We Catholics do things both/and. You might be right: if we all do this, the HR person will explain that employment practices need help.

AND you'll never work in a Catholic Church again.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
    Unionization? We had that, we had the AGO, let's ask them how well that worked out for them. They put a church on the "black list",,, and by the end of the week, a new musician was in and playing.

The AGO isn't a union. So their ineffectiveness is a moot point in this particular discussion.
    We Catholics do things both/and. You might be right: if we all do this, the HR person will explain that employment practices need help.

AND you'll never work in a Catholic Church again.

You can't fight EVERYONE. When two people get drunk and act disorderly, they go to jail. When 1,000 people do it, the police hold the perimeter and no one goes to jail, unless they go even farther over the top than everyone else.

If everyone demanded fair practices, the whole "you'll never work in a Catholic church" threat wouldn't be very effective - because they'd run out of people to work for them and ban.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Jeffrey Quick
    Setting up strawmen makes an argument look foolish.
    Ignoring the difference between formal and material cooperation doesn't put anyone in a good position to make moral judgements even for himself, much less others

Some strawman. There's some goofiness out there. A parishioner choir member once chided a paid singer who worked at Starbucks, citing this very thing, and saying that she didn't know how a Catholic could support them by patronizing them, much less working for them.

I told her to knock it off.

Good grief.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Kathy
    I agree. Let's all get drunk and disorderly.