OCP related...
  • This excerpt caught my attention: "Under its tutelage, you can aspire to be a real liturgical expert, which means you have attended a few workshops run by OCP-connected guitarists and songwriters (who explain that your job as a musician is to whip people into a musical frenzy: loud microphones, drum tracks, over-the-top enthusiasm when announcing the latest hymn)"
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Heitor, JT's manifesto is "yesterday's news." OCP's horse is flogged quite frequently beyond the scope of that essay, by myself included who must still adhere to subscribing to it (giving me right to bust their chops mercilessly), so if we want this thread to bare new and nutricious fruit, done start by burning the vineyard, prune the fruit selectively. YMMV.
    I'll jump start you with my favorites
    1. Their ignorance of the need to increase chant in BB/MI to "Laus Tibi" levels is both intentional and scandalous.
    2. Their Ordinary Settings comprise the least worthy of any publisher, Big or small.
    3. They routinely dump great hymns/songs because they actually believe that (by their poll's responses) people love Carey Landry and Millie Rieth songs.
    4. Removed
    5. They're no worse nor better than the other two lit/ind. complex initial pubs.
    and my favorite.
    6. They could wipe out their competition in a heartbeat by switching their business model to the facilitating of parish/diocese designed "boutique hymnals" in either pulp or permanent formats.
    But what do I know. I've only been at this 44 years, most of the time using their products.
  • Dauphin35
    This is all you need to know about OCP:

https://app.box.com/shared/jn4kqfdo39

(Bright Giant Love Ball)
  • G
    They have, are and likely will remain a fake non profit consumer enterprise whose credo, god and mission statement is "Monopoly."

I am surprised that you feel that strongly about it, Melo. I've never been involved in music in any subscriber parish.
    My current one, where I am not involved in music, takes the Music Issue [edited, I misspoke] Today's Missal, but also has Gather in the pews, and the few times I've been at Mass where a song was sung that required announcement of a page number, (as opposed to God Bless America or O Lord I Am Not Worthy,) they were traditional, which I thought I had heard was the direction OCP might be turning to, slightly.
    They could wipe out their competition in a heartbeat by switching their business model to the facilitating of parish/diocese designed "boutique hymnals" in either pulp or permanent formats.
    Do you really think so? I wonder why they don't.
    The idea of a "boutique" hymnal appeals to me. I looked at the table of contents for the Pope Francis Hymnal and was abashed at how many "traditional" "core" hymns are completely unfamiliar to me.
    Hmmmm... Maybe we should have a Family Hymnal, though with my relations we'd probably have brawls to the death over Stainer vs Willcocks Xmas harmonies or which wording for the chant Ubi Caritas...

(Save the Liturgy, save the World)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I looked at the table of contents for the Pope Francis Hymnal and was abashed at how many "traditional" "core" hymns are completely unfamiliar to me.

Perhaps the editor(ial board) of the Pope Francis Hymn Book (which, by the way, is a paperback, temporary solution) has a non-standard understanding of "core hymnody."
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    This is all you need to know about OCP:

https://app.box.com/shared/jn4kqfdo39

(Bright Giant Love Ball)

OMG THIS IS A REAL THING

http://www.ocp.org/compositions/11968

I object to this song on grounds of it being non-inclusive:

"...each of us is special and unique in his own way..."

#downwithpatriarchy #yesallwomen #purpleboldyall
    Thanked by 2ryand Carl D
  • CharlesW
    Aren't you tired of people who are special? My last year before retiring from Catholic education, we were giving awards to kids for essentially showing up. Only God is special. People are so dam*ed ordinary it isn't funny.
    Thanked by 1Jani
  • donr
    As long as its done during the Mass, I'm fine with it.
    We should all dance and sing and shout for joy and just be happy.

Can't we all just love each other.

Where is that big purple dinosaur when you need him?
  • The article suggests a great first step is getting rid of the so called "missalettes" No need to bash OCP, just don't use it. I shared the article because I have seen discussion after discussion here in the forums about strategies to get people to sing. The excerpt I selected from the article points to the origins of what it seems to be common knowledge: the main function of an organist/director of music is to make people sing. Of course, this is not the main function of an organist/music director. Thanks to this article I now know that OCP trains organists/music directors to believe this.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    The real danger is that they train pastors to believe it.
  • G
    OMG THIS IS A REAL THING
    Oh yeah.... IIRC it is often sung in the same circles as those that sing the one about the fuzz wuzzy caterpillar.

It's important to remember with charity that some of this stuff was meant for catechetical and NOT liturgical use, and that in that case, since it imparts some sort of moral lesson it is a (timy) step above The Wheels On the Bus Go Round and Round.

(But no charity is called for when you think about the RelEd directors who shoehorned it into school Masses.)
    Aren't you tired of people who are special?

It's not that they don't need our compassion, but I did a spit take when I came across this story.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Jani
    Dear friends- if you haven't listened to that link Adam put up, do it!!!! I triple dog dare you!
    Thanked by 2Carl D RMSawicki
  • They're no worse nor better than the other two lit/ind. complex initial pubs.
    and my favorite.

Melo --

Drink there often?

Cheers,

Chris
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Chris, I knew someone would catch that. Here's the Scots in me-
    There is no such thing as a Pub in the Western hemisphere, period, exclamation.
    All my pubs are in Glasgow, fyi.
    The one outside of that I need to frequent in in Innesfree, Ireland. I need to sit next to the retired Englishman who just reads his newspaper.
    Thanked by 1Andrew_Malton
  • melofluentmelofluent
    "I am yellow and you're are green" Let us dance, O let us dance.
    Generally speaking, jaundiced folks and zombies aren't inclined towards dancing.
    But we could start a trend.
  • a fake non profit consumer enterprise

I'm no fan of OCP, but is this accurate? Non-profit has a very specific meaning, and if you're accusing them of fraudulently assuming that title, you might want to back that up.
  • A publishing company tied to a 501c3 RC diocese with its own $12oooooo+ 403b retirement fund. They've gotta be in business for the profits!!!
  • CharlesW
    I heard they generate money to pay the sex abuse claims in the archdiocese. True? Does anyone know? That could be the reason they are allowed to pump out the music they do.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • As I read the comments I see that this is, in fact, turning into another OCP bashing thread. I regret posting it. Again, what stood in the article was the fact that it is OCP that trains some organists to believe that their job is to get people to sing. I have seen these erroneous concept in the forum over and over again. I hope many begin to see that this is in fact not the main role of an organist. I know of at least one colleague in my diocese who was put on the spot because the congregation does not sing. He spent months running absurd polls and developing strategies to get people to sing. This is why, I guess, cantors are so important today and, in at least two cases that I know personally, run the music program in the church.
  • CharlesW
    Getting the congregation to sing is not the main function of an organist. I certainly don't object when they sing, but I don't beat them over the head with it. As for OCP, I can't really bash or promote them because in 50 years of playing, I have not once used any of their materials.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Andrew,
    I didn't say "fraudulent," I used a common colloquialism snidely that (I hate that I have to explain this!) implies that the Oregon Catholic Truth and Tract Society or yore is now a huge enterprise that relies upon a business model of expanding product line in order to grow and increase the flow of new money into an already extant income stream. And if OCP cared about what not so little ol' faithful subscriber Charlie has to say, they would have written me years ago after supplying them pages of suggestions added to their "stupid" questionairre. I'm pat and good, thanks.
  • BruceL
    Sooooo much gossip on here making us look bad...

Let's just promote what we think is positive. Heitor, not directed toward you in particular, but this isn't the first time we jumped the shark!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Nothing wrong with talking and sharing different points of view!
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Agreed, PGA. If OCP is offended, they can always repent and sin no more.
  • So I was reading this thread this morning and got side tracked with other things (USA vs Germany), then listened to Bruckner's Requiem. Remembered needing to listen to the Giant Love Ball thingy, and gave it a play... Wow... I. Can't. Even... I had to go listen to Organ Improvisations on another thread...

That being said, since we are severely deficient on training opportunities for musicians and priests (at least here), I can see where people are placed in a situation running some form of music program, and needing somewhere to turn for help in preparing for the various liturgies at their parishes. It isn't hard to see why OCP is very successful.

We are working very hard here to remedy this situation. Forty years of liturgical abuses, mostly committed due to ignorance (a retired priest told our seminarian to rearrange the altar to ad populum because it was "illegal" to say the Mass ad orientum) is a long and difficult process to overcome. It is working, thanks to our priest giving good instruction from the ambo, and gradually introducing the Propers while instructing our musicians on what makes certain hymn choices good or bad.

The missalettes are not a battle we're willing to engage in yet. The people are fiercely dependent upon them, and aren't showing any willingness to give them up at this time.

Hopefully, with a few years of preparation and good instruction, we can begin to be truly faithful to the documents of Vatican II and cause positive change in our parish. Next, I hope we can take it to the diocesan level by hosting workshops for our musicians, apostolates, and priests. I hope this continues, and in 40 years we can look back at the work that was done and thank God for it.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • Gossip?

I had heard that they were able to exclude OCP from the bankruptcy, protecting their assets.

It's covered here:

http://bankrupt.com/catholic.txt
  • The missalettes are not a battle we're willing to engage in yet. The people are fiercely dependent upon them, and aren't showing any willingness to give them up at this time.

There is a solution out there that can satisfy both sides and make a transition possible.

www.pewmissal.com

Thanked by 1Continuousbass
  • A publishing company tied to a 501c3 RC diocese with its own $12oooooo+ 403b retirement fund. They've gotta be in business for the profits!!!

But again, "non-profit," when referring to an organization, has a very specific meaning (for example, it's not publicly traded and funds cannot be used for purposes other than their stated mission. The owners and employees can, in fact, turn a profit).

Publicly accusing them of not really being a non-profit is, as BruceL implies, gossip, and unbecoming of Christians.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    "Be not afraid," Andrew.
    Really. No one's leveled any accusation at OCP, no matter what's been "stated" here.
    Like they care.
    Heck, I'd be in seventh heaven if John Limb or even Bari gave a shot across the bow here implying "we care." As I said, the only acknowledgement they've ever required from me is my signature guaranteeing them another year's multiple thousands of dollars of additional/conditional income. Oh, and it's gotten higher since they've (with the others) finagled the structure for systematic income from reprint permissions for reprints and overheads.
    Oh, it's tough being OCP, the humanity, the humanity!
    They can quote me in court.
  • chonakchonak
    A 403b retirement system for your employees is not a source of profits. I've worked for a couple of non-profits, and that's what they had: payroll contributions by the employee (partly matched by the employer) went into an account at a big-name investment firm (Fidelity, TIAA-CREF, etc.). If that's how OCP's is run, those assets are under the control of the employee, not OCP, and they do not provide any financial gain to OCP.

Unless someone has documented information about an improper practice, it is wrong to spread accusations of corruption.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • melo*,

Christian charity is not dependent on whether or not OCP notices.
    Thanked by 2Gavin BruceL
  • francis
    Andrew:

Andrew Motyka 8:25PM Thanks
    francis,

Christian charity is not dependent on whether or not OCP notices.

??...???... Did I miss something?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Yes, me addressing the wrong person. Oops.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Nothing wrong with talking and sharing different points of view!

PGA, apparently that depends upon indeterminent, and somewhat arbitrary factors.
    I love OCP. I love their diversity. I love how they help us remain au courant by changing their pew repertoire yearly in small increments, and every three years by revamping their entire accompaniment resources. I love the opportunity to look at all their choral Trinitas octavos, even though I can't afford to purchase any of them for actual use. I love how magnanimous they are with their Spirit and Song collection which is very ecumenical. I love OCP.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Trinitas is the best thing to come out of OCP, even though they practically deny its existence. There's some good choral music there, and I've bought a few pieces. I actually had a funny conversation with a GIA employee about how OCP almost pretends Trinitas doesn't exist. Said GIA employee said "Yeah, they really do. It's so weird."
  • CharlesW
    I have no contact with OCP. I am in a GIA/WLP parish and it has been that way since back in the 80s, that I know of.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    We are an OCP parish, but we are moving into a larger space, and I hope to switch to a permanent hymnal instead of the Music Issue. I'm also using it as a reason to get an organ, although it will most likely be a free or very cheap digital, as I am having to convince Fr that it is a good idea.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    it will most likely be a free or very cheap

IS that even a thing?
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Well, I just needed remindin', like Cool Hand Luke, to get my mind right. OCP is jus' fine and has all our interests at the front of its mind always. Long may they rain, rein, reign!