Where to put the choir during a procession?
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Where should the choir be situated during a procession? I noticed during the Corpus Christi processions I've attended over the years, they've either been placed right behind the canopy or at the very back of the crowd. Needless to say, if the processional is long enough most people don't sing, and end up treating the whole thing as if it were a nice congregational stroll. So - is there a way to fix this? What do you think?
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Choir at back so people strolling can hear.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Traditionally (formerly rubrically) there are two placements for the Choir:

If the choir is a surpliced/robed choir they go in front of the Baldachino (Canopaeum), if they are not (i.e. in lay clothes) they go immediately after it, taking the first place among the laity.
  • StimsoninRehab,

If you'll forgive my departing from rubrics, into the realm of common (Catholic) sense; who is the object of the worship the choir is singing? At the back, they appear to be some kind of sheep dog. At the front, they lead by example, as does the priest when he faces Christ during the Mass.

God bless,

Chris
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    On a practical, non-rubrical note:
    If you want the congregation to sing, it would be smarter to disperse your choir amongst them. Open-air processions are not well-known for their acoustics.
    Thanked by 3Liam aria CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Move someplace where the sun is so unbearably hot that you have to do processions indoors.

Purple bold.

Kinda.
  • Kathy
    Rubrically, the choir goes behind the Blessed Sacrament, which can be thought of as leading the procession. The only people preceding are crossbearer, thurifer, candle bearers--folks who directly reverence. Choir leads the people as it were.

As a non-choir member, I stationed myself about halfway down the line, near a group of strong singers, trying to listen for the choir and keep the whole procession in unison, and it worked pretty well.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen