"Hymn of the Day"?
  • G
    The Herman Stuempfle thread reminded me of something over which I have been puzzling.
    When did "hymn of the day" become a guiding principle in compiling Catholic hymnals?
    Until a few years ago I'd never encountered the concept except in protestant churches.
    I guess a similar concept exists in Eastern Liturgies, but not in Roman ones, so far as I know, until publishers starting talking about them as if they were already an established part of the Mass's music program.

And, why not thread drift from the start? is it also true, (I've heard it second hand,) that taking their cue from MCW, and its notion that "benediction hymns are not suitable" for Mass, publishers of the Catholic hymnals in its most immediate aftermath deliberately decided to leave most benediction hymns out of hymnals entirely, as if their hymnals shouldn't also be useful for Exposition or Adoration?

[quick edit,
    "Does any one know why?!" is usually not about having that discussion, but is just a not-very-passive aggressive way of stating one's disapproval for the practice
    not my intetnion here, genuine question about history]

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • CharlesW
    I consult lists which suggest "hymns of the day" for specific Sundays of the liturgical year. Too often, there might be one verse in a given hymn that mirrors the gospel reading, but there is not an overwhelming association, at times, with those readings.

Some Sundays have suggestions in my hymnal that are not the type of music I want to offer my congregation. Either that, or hymns are suggested that none of know or have ever sung.

I know the concept of "hymn of the day" exists, but am not sure it is all that helpful. General praise hymns to God seem suitable for many occasions.
    Thanked by 2ClergetKubisz Gavin
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    My comment:

The propers may be the first choice for mass music, but if you're not going to use them for whatever reason, find a hymn that matches the idea of the proper texts. If that's not possible, then at least use a hymn that matches the texts/themes of the day - instead of just singing some generic song.

If the Gospel on the first Sunday in July says "All who labor ... come to me and rest," why not sing "I heard the voice of Jesus say, "Come unto me and rest," instead of "Praise God from whom all blessings flow?"

Hence, the "hymn of the day" concept.
    Charles, our comments appeared simultaneously! And we disagree, which is rare! Oh well.
  • CharlesW
    Actually, we don't disagree. I am saying that some of those hymns of the day are rather general and the texts don't make a strong link with the readings. The propers would be a better choice for themes, if possible.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
    Oh, I see. Sorry, I think my reading comprehension is actually getting lower. I blame it on doing too much reading in graduate school.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • G
    a hymn that matches the texts/themes of the day

This idea of matching a song text to a "theme" that is expressed in a part of the Mass that is NOT going to be left out, (i.e. a scripture reading,) in fact the whole idea of choosing what may be a very simplistic theme, seems liable to lead to a real theological impoverishment of the liturgy.

Some of the "Hymns of the Day" I've encountered, (someone mentioned one, Two Jolly Fishermen,) seem more appropriate for catechetical use than worship.

I do not mean to imply that they are puerile, just that they reinforce the "stories," for those who are not already familiar with them, which seems to be almost all the children I meet in RelEd.
    I consult lists which suggest "hymns of the day" for specific Sundays of the liturgical year.
    Charles, forgive me, i can't remember your situation, RC? Eastern? Episcopalian?
    What is the source of the lists you use? and if it is RC, how long have such lists been around?

• CharlesW
    I am Byzantine but work for the Latins (RCs). GIA and others have hymn indexes in their hymnals that make suggestions, and there are even software programs that provide lists, or at least did the last time I looked. I just got the GIA Quarterly and it has suggested lists of hymn selections for the Sundays of Advent, not that I even recognized part of them. Some were good suggestions, others maybe so. They had one hymn suggested, "People of the Night" which is unfamiliar. Given the number of hookers on the streets in our inner city location, I hope the hymn is better than the associations that came to my mind when I read that title. LOL. I take those lists with a grain of salt.
    Perhaps they are suited to helping children learn the stories. So what? You don't have any children at your masses?

I don't understand your objection to this. If in your situation the propers are not on the table, why would you prefer to sing generic hymns that have nothing to do with the day rather than ones that do?
    Thanked by 2Ben Gavin
  • BenBen
    I'm a big fan of finding hymns that match propers when propers are not possible, whether that means conveying a similar idea, or even being a paraphrase of the same psalm.

For example, at a youth retreat I directed at, we sang the communion antiphon Dominus Regit Me, followed by the hymn "The King of Love." Most propers don't have such an obvious hymn counterpart, but when I find them, I try to make use of them, when appropriate.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
    I should add, many of the propers are sort of "hymns of the day" anyway. They often directly quote from the Gospel of the day.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    The only historical source in the 20th c I remember as having such as designation in the indices was Worship 2.
  • CharlesW
    Ritual Song has suggested hymns for each Sunday of the liturgical year. They even include an asterisk when the hymn references the gospel reading.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    OCP of course puts out Today's Liturgy with a subscription to its Breaking Bread or the. music Issue. It has suggested hymns for each Sunday in its coverage dates along with liturgy planning materials in the back.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    If hymns are to be considered for use not as substitute Mass propers but part of the larger devotional life of the Church, then there is nothing wrong with the concept of "hymn of the day". Even when considering the Liturgy of the Hours, there are plenty of good hymns that praise God, honor the saints and mark the various liturgical seasons that are not meant to be sung in a strict liturgical context.

If a hymnal is simply a book of hymns to be sung whenever, so be it. Here's a hymn that would be particularly suitable for this Sunday. Sing it at home with your family before the evening meal; sing it in the car on the way to Mass, or even sing it in church with the community before or after Mass. If this is what is meant of "hymn of the day" that would be a good thing.

However we know that the implication in the hymnal index is that a particular hymn (or other genre of religious song) is being suggested to be used as a substitute for part of the Mass proper. If the modern mainstream Catholic "hymnal" wasn't really being marketed as an all inclusive pew missal for the congregant then there would be no reason to exclude the adoration/benediction or other devotion hymns not intended for Mass as well.
  • donr
    Yes ClergetKubisz but most of the time they are so wacky that I stopped looking at it. I usually now get my hymns suggestions from Canticanova or NPM guides. They are quite useful.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    When one is using hymns, what is the alternative to selecting hymns that fit the readings and/or the propers? Specifically NOT selecting things because they fit too closely? Choosing things specifically because they have nothing to do with anything?

Is "matching the readings" the only, or even most important consideration?
    No, of course not.

But it is one of several, and definitely higher on most sane lists of criteria than many other things.
  • G
    I just got the GIA Quarterly and it has suggested lists of hymn selections for the Sundays of Advent, not that I even recognized part of them. Some were good suggestions, others maybe so.

I see. When I took GIA Quarterly there were these lists of suggestions, but I don't recall the HotD term ever being used.
    So what? You don't have any children at your masses?
    Of course we do.
    With any luck they will become Catholic adults, but I think that is less likely to happen without a certain level of challenge, and depth, and that theologically rich hymn texts will do that better in the long run than paraphrases of stories.
    If in your situation the propers are not on the table, why would you prefer to sing generic hymns that have nothing to do with the day rather than ones that do?
    Who prefers "generic hymns" or hymns that have "nothing to do with the day"?
    I would "prefer" hymns that reflect the propers, but that seems particularly awkward for communion, when, as thread after thread reminds us, it's very difficult for the PIPs to sing a news song every week.
    many of the propers are sort of "hymns of the day" anyway. They often directly quote from the Gospel of the day.
    That seems to be only true of the communion propers, as a rule. Is the HofD intended as a Communion hymn?
    That is not what it is in protestant traditions, is it? I don't recall it being placed there in the order of worship at Lutheran or Methodist services
    The only historical source in the 20th c I remember as having such as designation in the indices was Worship 2.
    Thanks, that's the kind o information I was looking for.
    Knew I could count on you, Melo...
    I don't understand your objection to this.
    Not objecting, not asking for your rationale for the practice -- just wondering historically how the practice became so ingrained in the minds' of editorial boards of Catholic hymnals, not saying as a concept it leads to choices either good or bad, since clearly in practice it can do either.
    Wan't my intetnion to critique the practice or term, only mentioned possible, occasional objections because you seemed unnecessarily agitated to justify your practice.
    For example, at a youth retreat I directed at, we sang the communion antiphon Dominus Regit Me, followed by the hymn "The King of Love." Most propers don't have such an obvious hymn counterpart, but when I find them, I try to make use of them, when appropriate.
    Excellent. But there are also people who when planning see the word "shepherd" and say, aha! the theme of our Mass is "shepherd" here are 4 hymn texts that use the word "shepherd," I'm home free! which is why I would object to a too-facile assignment of a "theme" to Mass.

(Save the liturgy, Save the World)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    To your question -

It seems to me that the idea of HYMN OF THE DAY as specific concept is extremely influenced by Protestantism - more specifically, a particular brand of Low Church Anglicanism that one finds in Episcopal and Methodist parishes.

The Book of Common Prayer (both in 1928 and in 1979) mentions that a hymn, psalm, anthem, or canticle may be sung after each reading. The weirdly non-specific (to me) instruction is interpreted differently in different places, from a typical Roman-Rite structure (Reading, Psalm, Epistle, Alleluia, Gospel), to the common "Gradual Hymn" pattern (Reading, Psalm, Epistle, RANDOM HYMN, Gospel, REST OF RANDOM HYMN), to a 'Lessons and Carols' approach (Reading, Psalm, Epistle, RANDOM HYMN OR ANTHEM, Gospel, HYMN OF THE DAY).

In even-more-Protestant churches that have nevertheless adopted the Revised Common Lectionary, a number of patterns of integrating the lessons into the Order of Worship have developed. One of the more common ones is this HYMN OF THE DAY idea.

A number of collections of these "Gospel Hymns" have been developed, as publishers of hymnals and Protestant music directors have realized that the standard body of traditional hymnody has a lot of Rhyming Statements on Doctrine, but not that many Songs Having Anything To Do With Any Specific Biblical Passage.
  • G
    It seems to me that the idea of HYMN OF THE DAY as specific concept is extremely influenced by Protestantism - more specifically, a particular brand of Low Church Anglicanism that one finds in Episcopal and Methodist parishes....
    A number of collections of these "Gospel Hymns" have been developed, as publishers of hymnals and Protestant music directors have realized that the standard body of traditional hymnody has a lot of Rhyming Statements on Doctrine, but not that many Songs Having Anything To Do With Any Specific Biblical Passage.

Ah, interesting, thank you.
    I've often come across phrases like "Stankey Gospel hymns" in a British context but foolishly assumed these were like the "gospel music" in the US that that are the spiritual version of blues, (or the blues version of Spirituals.)

Are various versions of the musical rubrics for the BCP available on line? (there's probably a better search term than "rubrics")

Save the Liturgy, Save the World!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The current American BCP is available here:
    http://www.bcponline.org/

This site has the current, and several older editions, plus the BsCP from several different churches within the Anglican Communion, and and a handful of historical and provisional materials related to the BCP:
    http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/bcp.htm

I'm sure you can Google around for the relevant books for Methodists, Presbyterians, Lutherans, etc.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Also - the problem of BCP rubrics (besides the fact they aren't printed in red) is that they have little to do with what actually happens in any normal parish. Each edition is trying to satisfy a number of goals at the same time: (1) prescriptive advice based on the editors' liturgical point of view, (2) descriptive information about what is commonly done, (3) substantially retaining content form the previous edition even if it is no longer relevant.

The result is often frustratingly incomplete instructions which actually don't frustrate anybody because nobody bothers to read them anyway.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    One of the misconceptions governing the discussion about the 'hymn of the day' is, like G. already mentioned, the idea that every Mass must have its own theme. In the Roman Rite, this is generally not the case. During Mass, by means of the readings, orations and proper chants, attention is drawn to various aspects of the one mystery of Christ, but these are usually not closely attuned, especially during Ordinary Time: Sundays in Ordinary Time do not have a distinctive character.

The fact that many think that there should be a single theme might be influenced by the new Lectionary, in which the Old Testament reading is often harmonised with the Gospel, and the Responsorial Psalm is correlated to the First Reading. In some countries (like Italy, the Netherlands and Belgium), the Missal even has newly composed orations consonant with the Gospel of the day for each year A, B and C of Ordinary Time. In my experience, these latter additions are not very helpful.

Once we are (falsely) convinced that each Mass should have its own theme, the proper chants from the Graduale suddenly look misplaced and inappropriate, because they don't seem to correspond to this supposed theme. Hence, they are met with some resistance, as if the Graduale chants are not liturgically appropriate. This is, I think, a much underestimated problem when trying to introduce sung propers into a parish' Sunday Mass.
  • G
    the problem of BCP rubrics (besides the fact they aren't printed in red) is that they have little to do with what actually happens in any normal parish.

This would make them different from the RCC how exactly?
    Once we are (falsely) convinced that each Mass should have its own theme, the proper chants from the Graduale suddenly look misplaced and inappropriate, because they don't seem to correspond to this supposed theme. Hence, they are met with some resistance, as if the Graduale chants are not liturgically appropriate. This is, I think, a much underestimated problem when trying to introduce sung propers into a parish' Sunday Mass.
    Yes. I think when taken as a whole, the readings, collects and propers are filled with a kind of "checks and balances," which may be more suited to corporate worship.

• DL
    On the BCP line: in the UK, the English Hymnal and Ancient and Modern editorial traditions began by printing hymns grouped by season, feast, and then more thematically (sacraments, missions, national, etc). The English Hymnal also printed the propers at the back (translated from the Roman Missal), as well as many office hymns, as rendered by JM Neale or Edward Caswall (these are usually from pre-Urbanite reform originals).

From the 70s on, they began to provide more apparatus, so that the New English Hymnal suggests four hymns for Sundays and feasts, arranged according to the Revised Common Lectionary. Even so, there's a sense that choosers of hymns should 'just know' what to have when.

Something that is quite striking, if one's thinking of the psalmody of the propers (ie the introit for today is from Ps X, so we could sing a version of that psalm at the beginning), is how few of the vast number of metrical psalm translations made the cut. This is because most of them are not very good.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    (these are usually from pre-Urbanite reform originals)

Does this explain the melodic discrepancies between 1906 Office hymns (and in Anglican/Episcopal sources such as the 1940 and 1982) and those same melodies as found in Catholic publications?

Examples:
    -Conditor Alme
    -Pange Lingua
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    how few of the vast number of metrical psalm translations made the cut. This is because most of them are not very good.

TRUE

And look at some of the complete Metrical Psalters. There are tiny moments of brilliance in a vast array of Dr-Seuss-by-committee weirdness.
    Thanked by 2G Gavin
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I bought a copy of Hymns for the Gospels when it came out. Most of the texts I can't see a congregation singing heartily. Some of them are interesting to look at, and some are good by themselves, but I'm not sure this idea translates well into the Catholic Mass.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Gavin
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Does this explain the melodic discrepancies between 1906 Office hymns (and in Anglican/Episcopal sources such as the 1940 and 1982) and those same melodies as found in Catholic publications?

Examples:
    -Conditor Alme
    -Pange Lingua
    The melody for Pange Lingua in the 1940 (& 1982) is not the Roman rite mode III melody, but instead it is the Sarum rite mode III melody. There are other similar melodies, as well, the Mode I melody (which has the same general contour and is often used for Corpus Christi). The Hymnal version of Conditor Alme is also the Sarum Plainsong melody, not the Roman version.
  • ronkrisman
    The corpus of really outstanding texts was still developing when Hymns for the Gospels was published in 2001. Only 72 of the 159 texts therein are included in Worship IV, and several of those were not considered to be sufficiently related to a specific Sunday or solemnity Gospel pericope as to be listed among the hymnal's "Hymns for the Church Year" (the title used in Worship III and Worship IV; RitualSong's title is "Hymns and Psalms for the Church Year" since musical settings of responsorial psalms are all included in the psalter section in the front of that hymnal and the RS index indicates the hymnal number for those responsorial psalms).

Parishes which use Worship IV and publish their weekly orders of worship online appear to be using the Sunday Gospel-related hymns quite regularly, more often during the preparation of the altar and offerings, less often as entrance and recessional hymns, sometimes as hymns after communion, seldom as hymns during the communion procession.
    We use them regularly, especially when set to a familiar tune.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    From the 70s on, they began to provide more apparatus, so that the New English Hymnal suggests four hymns for Sundays and feasts, arranged according to the Revised Common Lectionary. Even so, there's a sense that choosers of hymns should 'just know' what to have when.

The Hymnal 1940 has, beginning on p. 804, a Liturgical Index, which is a listing of suggested hymns for the services of the church year, Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer, and Holy Communion.
  • DL
    Interesting! I think I'm right in saying that the Hymnal 1940 was an official book, which the EH, NEH and A&M never were. As eminent as their editorial boards were, an official hymnal was never a C of E policy. So perhaps they, in turn, were content to sit lightly to the range of contexts in which the books might have been used (qv the printing of the Tridentine mass propers, which they kept up into the 1970s...), whereas in the USA it was all actually thought through.

The New English Hymnal is, or was, used at Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral. This means that, at a generous estimate, at least 60 pages are redundant in Catholic worship, and what they do for Marian and other sanctoral enrichment I don't know (lots of extra sheets I expect).
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I think I'm right in saying that the Hymnal 1940 was an official book, which the EH, NEH and A&M never were. As eminent as their editorial boards were, an official hymnal was never a C of E policy.

C of E, with its medieval roots, was content to let liturgical practices develop organically and locally.
    PECUSA, steeped in mainline American progressivism, seems to be fond of top-down programming.