Palm Sunday Tenebrae
  • lmassery
    I do most of my planning in the summer - has anyone ever done tenebrae on Palm Sunday evening? If so would you be willing to share your program? I'm having trouble finding resources for Palm Sunday as most of the ones I find are for Thurs-Sat. Thanks
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Tenebrae on Palm Sunday? Do you mean Matins/Lauds for Palm Sunday? I believe Tenebrae is a special form of Matins/Lauds used only on Maundy Thursday through Holy Saturday.
    Thanked by 1ScottKChicago
  • MarkThompson
    That's because there is no such thing as Tenebrae on Palm Sunday. Tenebrae is the anticipation of matins and lauds of the days of the Triduum; the Monday in Holy Week is not one of those days.
    Thanked by 1ScottKChicago
  • lmassery
    oh. hmmmm. Could one conceivably turn Matins/Lauds for Palm Sunday into a Tenebrae service? From what I gather, the Tenebrae service is varied and flexible. I get more confused the more I research it.
  • MarkThompson
    You can plan whatever kind of devotional prayer service you want. Psalms and candles, hard to go wrong there. Putting the label "Tenebrae" on it just seems to be calling attention to the innovation and novelty of the thing, though.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen lmassery
  • SalieriSalieri
    There is Tenebrae which is Matins/Lauds for the Triduum.

But, there are also "Tenebrae" services which one frequently encounters in Cathedrals in the USA which are nothing more than Lessons and Carols for Holy Week. This is NOT Tenebrae.

You could consider doing something like the "Four Last Words".
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen lmassery
  • Protasius
    Since the Office of Readings may be celebrated any time of the day, you could celebrate it on the evening of Palm Sunday (supposing you use the OF).
  • ronkrisman
    This past Palm Sunday St. Peter's Cathedral in Kansas City, KS, had a "Tenebrae" service of the kind to which Salieri referred. Perhaps Kevin Vogt of St. Michael's in Leawood, KS, could provide the OP a program.
    Thanked by 1lmassery
  • advocatusadvocatus
    Thanks, Fr. Krisman. I've a sent a program to lmassery.

I'm not sure what we did on Palm Sunday resembled a "Lessons and Carols," except that Tenebrae (as Salieri suggests) as an "anticipated" conflation of Matins and Lauds and Lessons & Carols have their historical roots in the night vigil. Our psalms and readings were drawn from the historical Tenebrae services of Holy Thursday and Good Friday, and the form of the service was retained (albeit truncated.) The whole thing seemed appropriate for the evening following Palm Sunday of the Lord's Passion. (Perhaps some would like to complain here about the "innovation" of conflating Passion Sunday and Palm Sunday in the Roman Calendar!) Of course, "Tenebrae" was not retained in the reformed Liturgy of the Hours for the Paschal Triduum (in which Matins was absorbed into a more flexible and practical Office of Readings and Lauds restored to the proper time of the day), so it seems to me that recasting of historical form (from various periods of history) around essential content is not so much willy-nilly novelty as it is creative conservation.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood lmassery
  • Liam
    The folks with whom the word "Tenebrae" are likely to resonate will likely be the same folk who would view labelling a service done on the evening of Palm Sunday as "Tenebrae" as an argument rather than as an invitation. Nor would they likely welcome importing the hearse and candles into such a service.
  • advocatusadvocatus
    Oops. Did that, too.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • Tenebrae as such no longer exists in the post-conciliar liturgy of the hours. So even if you do Tenebrae during the Triduum (unless your community follows the pre-reform LOH) you still don't really have Tenebrae in a purist sense. It simply doesn't exist any more. So I see the argument about whether to have it on Palm Sunday or during the Triduum as something of a moot point.
    I suppose you can still argue whether we should have things called Tenebrae at all, now that it is no longer in the official books. For me, the antiphons and lessons and psalmody (and the musical settings of those parts) is so rich that it seems like a terrible loss to simply discard it. Would I prefer to throw it all away aside from concert use, or place it in the context of a devotional service (albeit a somewhat manufactured one)? I'd rather keep something of what is old - I like the phrase "creative conservation."
    Also, to the best of my knowledge the word Tenebrae itself is a popular title rather than an official title given by the Church to Lauds/Matins during the Triduum. I see no reason the idea or ethos of Tenebrae cannot live on as a devotional service.

Liam - established Tenebrae services at Ordinary Form cathedrals are actually quite popular. For example, the Seattle, Columbus, and St Louis Cathedrals among others hold some such service.
  • CharlesW
    We hold a service on Monday evening of Holy Week based on Lauds/Matins readings and call it Tenebrae. It is very popular and is generally well-attended. We hold the service in darkness and pass out miniature flashlights so attendees can read the scripts we also pass out.
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Here's what Paschale solemnitatis says about it:

40. It is recommended that there be a communal celebration of the Office of Readings and Morning Prayer on Good Friday and Holy Saturday. It is fitting that the bishop should celebrate the Office in the cathedral, with as far as possible the participation of the clergy and people.[45]

This Office, formerly called "Tenebrae," held a special place in the devotion of the faithful as they meditated upon the passion, death and burial of the Lord, while awaiting the announcement of the resurrection.

Should be fine to do it your way, though I personally would only do it on Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Holy Saturday.
    Thanked by 1advocatus
  • SalieriSalieri
    The 'Tenebrae' services that I have seen the programs for (people give them to me - I can't go to anything because I'm at the parish all the time with our own things) generally follow the format of Lessons and Carols: just replace the Christmas Carols with Passiontide Hymns and Motets (O Sacred Head, Where you there?, Ah, holy Jesus, Taize chants, etc.) with various readings related to the passion from the Prophets, Epistles, and Gospels - generally taken from the Lectionary for Mass - occasionally a responsorial psalm setting will replace a hymn or two.

There is no Psalmody, there are no Lamentations, no Patristic Readings, no Responsories, in fact, not one iota of the Office is included in these services. If you want to do "Tenebrae" do "Tenebrae": https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8-wRwkTf2OfU25JaUhCYy1qZ1NLYUNPaEhKZjg1aWVuT1Jz/edit?pli=1
    Or:
    https://ff1599f4-a-8b93fa25-s-sites.googlegroups.com/a/sacredmusicus.org/sacred-music-us/file-cabinet/Tenebrae%2009%2C%20872-894.pdf?attachauth=ANoY7cpDR8CnVNHB6Bm6p2N6AnDhuiHaMnZ4JPTNtwngfIrtMbyp6jZWACzWP3TqPykA0xCz0LHd7ydZXfShx78VfyBZbBxSCn8NNvp4itwaD9AdKYUudZ7_T5bq05ROgA0TZXXEOrDr4-nVTNWaRHbGvSgF0sfMhrPDBAYF6LqICx08Ttxm4YJIQh3cCIDmHKvGs9WlOdf17YGi-N_YTeTH7ni7w1RVvTlU8-EGwSyLYbFEtu1QwRClcN8zHycc-mRDI3vBuqut&attredirects=0
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Liam
    I've only witnessed Tenebrae on the evening of Spy Wednesday (my favorite experience of it was in English at the Episcopal monastery of the Society of St John the Evangelist on the Charles River in Cambridge MA - the monks do it up right, and the service is well attended) or during the Triduum. I would say that Good Friday evening is likely the most opportune time for it, especially if your parish celebrates the divine liturgy at 3PM.
  • CharlesW
    We do no music for Tenebrae. Only two choirs reading from the Office.