Are any of you in Fort Lauderdale, Fl
  • donr
    I will be taking a cruise with my family and leaving out of Fort Lauderdale, Fl.
    Our ship will be back on Sun July 27th. I will want to go to Mass near the airport or ?

Let me know if you or someone you know is near by,

thanks
  • There is the TLM down in Miami, where our esteemed colleague Jenny Donelson directs the schola. www.latinmassmiami.org/ If you have the time, it would definitely be the finest Mass in the area. Otherwise the surrounding area near FLL Airport is the usual music you could expect to hear from the very "vibrant" and "diverse" communities employing the the usual OCP, P&W, Spirit and Song.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • G
    I believe there is also a TLM, if that's your preference, in Lighthouse Point.
    Jenny teaches at Nova in Broward co., so she might have knowledge of not too awful good liturgies in the area.
    There used to be an all right music program at St Malachy in Tamarac, but this was over ten years ago. Again, Jenny would know.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Too humid. I don't know why you'd go there - you should just go to a nice Scottsdale resort.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    The only place I have knowledge of is the Cathedral of Palm Beach, located in Palm Beach gardens. I attended mass there last August.

Nice mass; good music, 90% on the organ, one song on the piano I think. Mostly traditional hymns "Praise to the Lord the Almighty," etc. The organist played a nice prelude and postlude. The priest was good and said the mass very reverently. People seemed nice and overall, I felt that it was a good mass to meet my obligation. Being FL, though, the Cathedral is in the round and the organ was electronic, but there's just not the two centuries of infrastructure and tradition down there that there is in the northeast and Midwest.

45 minutes from Ft. Lauderdale, so maybe not close enough for you; I don't know.

That's all I got.
  • G
    PGA, if I recall correctly, you, (or someone else,) mentioned the cathedral there in a thread before and someone in the area corrected the impression that you received -- the music at St. Ignatius Loyola is much iffier than one might hope for from a cathedral.
    (Usually very good preaching though, and you might luck out and Fr Brian King have the Mass)
    Fr Kevin Nelson is the pastor of the Catholic parish in Lantana, which would be closer to Ft La-dee-dah, and I would have pretty strong faith in the sacrality and beauty of any liturgy over which he had control.
    Anyway, Cathedral Schedule
    Mass Schedule

Saturday Vigil: 4:30 p.m.

Sunday: 7:15 a.m., 8:45 a.m., 10:30 a.m. ( interpreted for the deaf) and 5:00 p.m. ( music by LifeTeen)

Domingo: Misa in Espanol: 12:30 p.m.
    Holy Family Spirit Schedule
    Saturday: 9 AM, 4 PM (English) 7 PM [Polish]
    Sunday: 7:30, 9, 10:30 AM; 12 noon
    Sunday: Latin Mass - 2:00 PM

[edited]
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    PGA, if I recall correctly, you, (or someone else,) mentioned the cathedral there in a thread before and someone in the area corrected the impression that you received -- the music at St. Ignatius Loyola is much iffier than one might hope for from a cathedral.

I don't remember the exact conversation. It may well be "iffier" than one would hope for from a cathedral; you are correct, there was no professional cantor, no choir singing complicated choral music, no major organ works performed before mass.

But my understanding is that, more or less, in FL protestant style praise bands are the order of the day almost everywhere. So I was merely pointing out that the cathedral might offer a mass that would meet your obligation while keeping your blood pressure relatively low, and that its musical quality probably exceeds the "average parish" down there. Many things are relative.
  • donr
    Thanks to all for the suggestions and commentary.

Matthew, I already live in paradise in Maricopa. Why would I want to vacation at some uppity hotel in Scottsdale. Besides, I hear the Bahamas are beautiful this time of year and that's the destination not Fl.
    Thanked by 1ContraBombarde
  • G
    in FL protestant style praise bands are the order of the day almost everywhere
    That is not so, in my experience.
    its musical quality probably exceeds the "average parish" down there.
    Also, alas, not so, although there have been brief periods when there was a real push for excellence there, and hopefully will be so once again soon.
  • Fr. Kevin Nelson has a wonderful TLM at Holy Spirit in Lantana (it's not Holy Name), FL and is a great person, though it is about 45 min drive from FLL. The cathedral of PB has a new DM/Organist, and he is a pretty good organist. Fr. Brian King keeps things in pretty good shape. Though the drive from FLL to those destinations is between 45 mins and 1 1/2hrs.

St. Malachy? Really? ,,, I live within 5-10 mins of St. Malachy. I wouldn't recommend it at all. If you need to stay pretty close to FLL, try St. Sebastian. Peter Manfredi is the organist there, and is pretty good, though the music is the usual big 3.

If you have the time, check out what Jenny has down in Miami. It's definitely worth the trip!
    Thanked by 1G
  • donr
    Our Ship docs at 7am Sunday Morning and flight does not leave until 6pm. So I think we have time. I'll just need to find out what times the Masses are and what time we really get off the ship. Then I'll make the call as to where we can and can not go.
    If someone has experience on cruises and times things really happen let me know that as well. This will be my first cruise.
  • G
    Thanks for the info, ContraBombarde, I'll correct my post.

Sorry to hear that about St Malachy, as I said, this was quite some time ago.

Since you seem to know what's going on at the Cathedral, can you tell me what happened in the fall about three years ago?
    I went to a Sunday Mass in mid-autumn, met very fine organist, strong musician, young, hired as new MD straight out of conservatory; I went back for Christmas midnight Mass, all new personnel, music was poorly chosen, not too well done and very disorganized.

• No problem G.

Yes, St. Malachy has definitely changed it up a bit. In fact they lost their school to a charter school.

Regarding the Cathedral, I would rather message you on that.
  • Carl DCarl D
    Depending @n the size of the ship, it can take a couple of hours to disembark. So 7am dock might turn into 10am.
    Thanked by 1donr