Solemnity of Sts Peter and Paul, June 29th
  • hartleymartin
    I'm really looking forward to this Solemnity this year. I am involved in the local Cathedral Choir as a singer and a local parish as the assistant organist.

At the Cathedral, we're doing Palestrina's Missa Papae Marcelli and Tu Es Petrus.

At the Parish, I'm less excited as it's a usual 4/5-hymn sandwich. I'll probably be doing "By All Your Saints Still Striving" to AURELIA with the relevant verse for Sts Peter and Paul.

Let us all know what you've got cooking for this feast!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    We have the Mass of Thanksgiving for our Cathedral's newly ordained priest who plans to chant the entire Mass (including the Roman Canon). He's a very liturgically minded fellow and seems to be a very good and holy man.

SS Peter and Paul
    Pieces 1&2 in F Major from L'Organiste - Franck
    Nunc scio vere - Mode III
    Kyrie, Missa Secunda - Hassler
    Gloria, Missa Secunda - Hassler
    Psalm, Lumen Christi Missal
    Alleluia, Tu Es Petrus - Mode II
    Offertory, Lumen Christi Missal
    Ubi Caritas - Durufle
    Sanctus VIII
    Agnus Dei VIII
    Tu es Petrus, Mode VI (with English verses)
    O Salutaris Hostia - Anerio
    Tu es Petrus - Perosi
    For all Your Saints Still Striving - ST THEODULPH
    Sortie in F Major from L'Organiste - Franck
    Thanked by 2JulieColl bkenney27
  • ronkrisman
    So glad you'all are throwing a few bones to the dogs PIPs: Sanctus, Agnus Dei, ST THEODULPH.

While it contains a lot of very fine music, this program is not to be praised. It's a shameful repudiation of Sacrosanctum Conciium, and hardly indicative of someone who is "a very liturgically minded fellow."
  • BenBen
    We are having a pontifical Mass! Still working out the final music list.
    Thanked by 1expeditus1
  • donr
    Fr. Ron, please explain your comments in greater detail. I am interested to know why you assert this?
  • ronkrisman
    donr, again I am not criticizing the quality of the music being programmed. (Who would be so silly as to say that the music of Franck, Hassler, Gregorian chant, Duruflé or Anerio is of poor quality?) But providing only three items in which the people in the pews are given the opportunity to participate in song is a far cry from SC's principle of full, active, and conscious participation by the liturgical assembly, no matter how far that principle has been twisted by the liturgical Newspeak in evidence in some quarters during the past 15 years or so.
  • But what if the 'people in the pews' like this music? What if they are participating fully, actively, and consciously by partaking of it and being blessed by it? The people in the pews are sometimes like children, meaning that they don't know that the music they are hearing and singing is in a negative category until someone poisons the water and manages to tell them it is... and lies to them by telling them it isn't Vatican II.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The congregation will heartily sing the Psalm, Offertory proper, Sanctus, Agnus Dei, Recessional hymn, and the countless other sung dialogues/acclamations throughout the Mass.
  • ronkrisman
    MJO, you miss my point. It's not a question of the PIPs "liking" the music that's been programmed or actively listening to it. They are not participating with their own voices.

I know absolutely nothing about the music sung in your own parish. I don't know if you have ever posted any of your orders of worship on this forum or elsewhere. But I can guess that if you gave your own PIPs only 3 items to sing on a regular basis (or even 5 items, as matthewj just corrected me - thanks, matthewj), your PIPs would not be too happy, even if they "liked" what your choir was singing.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • matthewjmatthewj
    As far as having "more items to sing" - we have 4 English sung Masses each week with similar (but different) music. The Saturday anticipated Mass includes another hymn (at the procession) and a vernacular Communion antiphon, Gregorian ordinary, sometimes another hymn. The TV Mass in the morning has an Entrance hymn and vernacular entrance chant, vernacular Communion antiphon, etc. The Sunday evening Mass includes either a vernacular entrance chant or processional hymn (alternating week to week), usually a modern composition (or two), Gregorian ordinary, etc. The Solemn Mass, which was the lineup that I posted, has a longstanding tradition of chanting Gregorian propers.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • donr
    Fr. Ron, I was not trying to be argumentative or anything like that, I was just trying to figure out where you were coming from so I can grow as a musician in the Church.

Knowing the Cathedral's tradition as Matthewj has pointed out above, I do not see an issue.

If he were programing this at our local praise and worship community church. There might be an issue but even then a little historical lesson of the Mass and how it used to be or should be done is not a bad thing even in those situations.

I am a person who believes that most musicians and DM's and Lit Directors and some priests have taken the docs of Vatican II to the extreme. I do not see that active participation means that everyone needs to say and / or sing everything all the time, and that listening is also active participation as St. John Paul II, Pope Emeritus Benedict, Arch Bishop Sample and many, many others have stated.

I do appreciate views that are different than mine however, and I am always searching for the truth as hopefully we all are. It is why I am Catholic in the first place. I was searching for the truth and I found it.
    The same goes for music and the interpretation of the documents.

This is not exactly the topic of this thread so I will leave it at that.
  • Kathy
    If the congregation sings all the dialogues, then they are singing many more things than the usual congregation does--and a greater percentage of people will sing these than will sing anything out of the hymnal.
  • Kathy
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • 'And, here dear friends, you have an important role: work to improve the quality of liturgical song (without) being afraid to recover and value the great musical tradition of the Church, which has in Gregorian Chant and polyphony 2 of its highest expressions, as Vatican II itself states (cf. “Sacrosanctum Concilium,” 116). And I would like to stress that the active participation of the whole people of God in the liturgy does not consist only in speaking, but in listening, in welcoming the Word with the senses and the spirit, and this holds also for sacred music. You, who have the gift of song can make the heart of many people sing in liturgical celebrations.' Benedict XVI http://www.zenit.org/en/articles/pope-s-address-to-scholae-canotorum-pilgrims
    Thanked by 1G
  • ronkrisman
    As more and more information has become available about matthewj's order of worship for June 29:
    1. I publicly apologize to the newly-ordained priest who I initially and incorrectly understood as choosing the music for that Mass and which led to my saying that said music programming was "hardly indicative of someone who is 'a very liturgically minded fellow.'"
    2. I publicly thank matthewj for what he is doing to foster and preserve the Church's treasury of Gregorian chant.
    3. I thank matthewj as well for later saying that the PIPs will also sing all the dialogues at the June 29 Mass. However, if those dialogues are the most important things that the people sing at Mass and, given the fact that they still are not sung in the great majority of parishes throughout the USA (and the world), why aren't they noted on the order of worship?
    4. There will continue to be serious disagreements, IMO, about the understanding of "active participation." TDPelletier's quoting Benedict XVI saying, "active participation of the whole people of God in the liturgy does not consist only in speaking, but in listening..." is no justification for taking the speaking (singing) role away from the PIP's and telling them to be satisfied with listening.
    5. I still fault the Phoenix order of worship for providing no singing by the PIPs during the communion procession (poor modeling for the entire diocese, IMO), and I see no reason why a Gregorian Kyrie and Gloria are not used, so that the PIPs may participate with their voices.
    6. I LOVE Kathy's "Sing All the Things." But, Kathy, counting the dialogues as "items to sing" may be using the wrong measurement. A congregation which sings only one four-stanza hymn at Mass sings at least twice as long as a congregation which sings all the dialogues.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • CharlesW
    I think singing during communion is over-rated and often poorly done. Our folks do not carry a hymnal during communion, and don't want to, either. During the communion procession, as a rule, only the choir or cantor will actually be singing. For a post-communion hymn when the pips are back in their pews, then they will sing. Trying to sing throughout the communion procession is another case where the bishops (as in GIRM) put the cart several blocks in front of the horse. It rarely works.
    Thanked by 3Richard Mix CHGiffen G
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I thank matthewj as well for later saying that the PIPs will also sing all the dialogues at the June 29 Mass. However, if those dialogues are the most important things that the people sing at Mass and, given the fact that they still are not sung in the great majority of parishes throughout the USA (and the world), why aren't they noted on the order of worship?

Because they are ALWAYS sung at the Cathedral in Phoenix, and matthewj has a slightly lazy (in the computer programmer sense) approach to typing up orders of worship.

and I see no reason why a Gregorian Kyrie and Gloria are not used, so that the PIPs may participate with their voices.

This is done at most Masses at the Phoenix Cathedral. But choral settings are a legitimate option, particularly for an especially notable celebration such as this one.
  • BenBen
    why aren't they noted on the order of worship?

Probably bcause they're easy to pick up without music. I just got back from a Catholic summer camp, and the congregation sang all the dialogs without having any music in front of them. First mass, they did well, and by the second Mass, they sang heartily, even on the domine non sum dignus. The priests sang almost everything there

Same at my cathedral and at my parish. All of then sing the dialogs, and none of them notate it out most of the time. People aren't stupid, they can respond to a text with the same tone.
  • ronkrisman
    Trying to sing throughout the communion procession is another case where the bishops (as in GIRM) put the cart several blocks in front of the horse. It rarely works.

It rarely works if you're trying to sing strophic hymns. It works quite well if the PIPs are singing only an antiphon and a psalmist or the choir sings the verses.
  • BenBen
    A congregation which sings only one four-stanza hymn at Mass sings at least twice as long as a congregation which sings all the dialogues.

This is getting absurd.
    Sooooo... SC is saying that you should have a stop watch and sing the longest possible time ever? Why not sing the dialogs v e r y. S l o w l y? Why not sing a 43 stanza hymn? Why not sing TWO 43 stanza hymns back to back at each of the 4 spots? why have any choir music at all if that is your final goal?
    Thanked by 1G
  • Fr. Krisman:

"4. There will continue to be serious disagreements, IMO, about the understanding of "active participation." TDPelletier's quoting Benedict XVI saying, "active participation of the whole people of God in the liturgy does not consist only in speaking, but in listening..." is no justification for taking the speaking (singing) role away from the PIP's and telling them to be satisfied with listening."

There is no logical conclusion to this kind of argument. How much listening is too much? There is no way to objectively quantify this. So any time there is a mix of listening and singing on the part of the PIPs, there is going to have to be a pastoral judgment about the proper balance. It's not something that can be judged from across the country - it depends on the traditions, formation, and habits of that particular community.

"5. I still fault the Phoenix order of worship for providing no singing by the PIPs during the communion procession (poor modeling for the entire diocese, IMO), and I see no reason why a Gregorian Kyrie and Gloria are not used, so that the PIPs may participate with their voices."

This trope of the people singing at communion is sooo tired and beaten to death already. There is a tension in the GIRM on this matter. The fact is, the Church's current liturgical legislation both holds out unity of voices as an ideal during communion, and explicitly allows for choral music during communion. I believe this is a healthy balance, rather than a flat out contradiction, but some (e.g. Paul Inwood, who routinely crusades on this matter) hold that any choral singing during communion is an abuse - the GIRM be damned! At any rate, the fact is that the Church's current liturgical legislation allows for choral singing at communion. The judgment call about how/when to use this option and how/when to balance it with congregational singing of some kind must be made on the ground in a particular community. ALSO, it is important to remember that a single community may have a single Mass with more of a choral emphasis. At my cathedral, we have congregational communion singing at 4 out of 5 Masses. And at the 5th, during choir season, the choir takes over. To call the following of the Church's current legislation an abuse and bad modeling for the diocese is false and uncharitable on your part Father.

"6. I LOVE Kathy's "Sing All the Things." But, Kathy, counting the dialogues as "items to sing" may be using the wrong measurement. A congregation which sings only one four-stanza hymn at Mass sings at least twice as long as a congregation which sings all the dialogues. "

And yet, a congregation that sings JUST hymns and no dialogues has been entirely cheated of singing any of the liturgy. They've been relegated to singing pious background music during processions, just like at the preconciliar Low Mass. Is the amount of time filled or the integral nature of the text to the liturgy a better marker of participation?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    However, if those dialogues are the most important things that the people sing at Mass and, given the fact that they still are not sung in the great majority of parishes throughout the USA (and the world), why aren't they noted on the order of worship?

I noted in the introductory paragraph that the entire Mass would be sung (as is the case for almost all Sunday Masses here, with the exception of the Orate Fratres dialogue [only one celebrant does this frequently] and the Ecce Agnus Dei dialogue [two celebrants do this every Mass they celebrate]), which I think most people would understand.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    As far as having "more items to sing" - we have 4 English sung Masses each week with similar (but different) music.

Dear Father Krisman,
    MJM's reminder/rejoinder above ought to have been present in your mind before hitting the "post comment" button, in all honesty. Of all people, you should know that a cathedral Mass schedule, as well as many parishes such as mine with 18 Masses per weekend, by nature have to cover the participatio actuosa spectrum thoroughly. This reality existed prior to and after V2 and will likely remain in praxis for the life of Mother Church.
    I happily presume that the sarcasm of throwing bones to dogs was just Monday crankiness. But to mischaracterize MJM's intentions in such a demeaning way toward him and the faithful in PHX actually reflects upon neither of them, but upon you. I'd take care of that, were I you.
    This whole business of applying SC slide rule excerpts is becoming increasingly tired. I, a boomer, had two boomer missionary priests as celebrant/homilists over the whole weekend. When checking with me regarding ordo of music, I basically said to both at different times, we sing everything except the "Our Father." The first priest replied "It's not supposed to be sung." Let it go. Second priest, a capuchin, said virtually the same thing, adding "Good, it should be prayed." I had time, so I took the opportunity to remind him of SC's three heirarchies of what ought first to be sung: for the celebrant- the dialogues/orations/collects. FOR THE PIPs-"the Pater Noster, look it up." Happily, he ceded the point.
    SC is a tool, not a weapon.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • donr
    Fr. Ron, You are correct. In our little church we sing the Communion Antiphon with verses. I often times here the PIPs singing it. Especially when I tell them what page of the missal the words are on.
    We sing the Lumen Christi Gradual settings that match up with the RM Antiphons as found in OCP's "Today's Missal". They are easy enough to sing (for the most part) without a hymnal in hand.

But this thread is about every one's selections not just Matthew's let us move on.
  • BenBen
    Also, a congregation that sings all the dialogs is singing more of the Mass than a congregation that sings several verses of several hymns because hymns aren't THE MASS.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood bkenney27
  • melofluentmelofluent
    PS. MJM did not specify the use of ST. THEODULPH as a "recessional" if you examine the ordo. The two motets after the fraction are licit at the least, and generous towards a focused congregation about to partake of the Body and Blood of our Lord. The strophic hymn could have been assigned as a hymn of praise, so that the "actual" vocalization on the part of the congregation could have been enacted.
    Secondly, the priest as a "liturgically minded fellow" was MJM's opinion, and his ordo reflects that with certainty. That it doesn't meet your criteria for what is "liturgically mindful" is irrelevant and presumptuous. I still loves ya, Faddah.
    In any case, as donr says, time to move on.
  • donr
    Here are my selections for this week:
    Entrance: "Peter the Apostle, and Paul the Teacher" - LCSG
    Entrance Hymn: "Church of God, Elect & Glorious" (HYFRYDOL)
    Responsorial Psalm and Alleluia: OCP's Respond & Acclaim
    Offertory Antiphon: You Will Make them Princes" - LCSG
    Offertory Hymn: "Ye Watchers and Ye Holy Ones" - (LASST UNS ERFREUEN)
    Communion Antiphon: "You are Peter" - LCSG
    Communion Hymn: "O Taste and See" - Hurd
    Communion Med: "Salve Regina" - GC
    Recessional: "By All Your Saints Still Striving" with optional vs. for St. Peter and Paul. - (ST THEODULPH)
    Mass Ordinary: Mass of the Angels - Richard Clark (English Adaptation).

Mostly all Dialogues are sung weekly.
  • ronkrisman
    @Melo: "Monday crankiness?" Perhaps, a little. But I never "mischaracterized MJM's intentions" since I initially and mistakenly thought he was posting a listing prepared by the newly ordained priest for his Mass of Thanksgiving. I have subsequently apologized for my error and my mischaracterizing of the priest.

Enough said on that matter.

Not enough said on the matter of full, conscious, and active participation. But, hopefully, we will have many more years to come to a consensus on that issue.
    Thanked by 2melofluent Gavin
  • lmassery
    St Joseph Church, Strongsville OH

Entrance: K. Pluth's hymn translation Passion of the Apostles, to WINCHESTER NEW

Offertory: Only This I Want, Schutte

Communion: You Are Peter, from A. Esguerra's Choral Graduale Simplex

Recessional: The Son of Man by K. Pluth from canticanova publications (we purchased this) set to ELLACOMBE (vs 1-4)
  • CharlesW
    It rarely works if you're trying to sing strophic hymns. It works quite well if the PIPs are singing only an antiphon and a psalmist or the choir sings the verses.

We attempt to sing one of the wretched GIA communion hymns from Ritual Song - given that most of them are unworthy, unsingable dogs. I have communion antiphons and verses for the choir and cantors, but am not allowed to distribute them to the congregation. Again, singing at every possible moment is overrated and awkward.
  • Cathedral of saint Joseph Sioux Falls sd

Entrance - by all your saints still striving
    Offertory - for all the saints
    Communion - simple congregational antiphon by me (congregational communion antiphons are great and laudable - just not the only option! Can't we all just get along?) + blessed feasts of blessed martyrs
    Recessional - two noble saints

Organ music - depends on how many stops we get tuned this week...
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    I'm having a terribly difficult time not chiming into this discussion so, rather than continuing to veer this thread off-topic, I will simply say I think MJM's order is worthy of high praise especially for such a wonderful solemnity that is rarely celebrated in the presence of a large Sunday congregation.

I will also say that I recently sang in the choir for a funeral which involved very little congregational singing. Palestrina's Sicut Cervus, Brahms' How Lovely is Thy Dwelling Place, SATB chanted Psalm Setting (ie NOT Responsorial) in the Anglican style, Goss Choral Introit, etc. ICEL Ordinary and one or two hymns for the congregation. We received MANY comments from the "unchurched" that "If Church were like this all the time, I would be there every week."

I guess I didn't really accomplish my goal of not dipping into the off-topic discussion, but I think it is important not to criticize if a Parish (or CATHEDRAL!) and its PIPs have come to a different (and, IMO, venerable) understanding of what that V2 catchphrase means. Note to admin: feel free to split my post into a separate thread of necessary.

I haven't quite finished my Ss. Peter and Paul line up so I will contribute to the ON-TOPIC discussion shortly. :)
  • ronkrisman
    We attempt to sing one of the wretched GIA communion hymns from Ritual Song - given that most of them are unworthy, unsingable dogs.

Are you suffering from a bit of "Monday crankiness" too?

So why are you writing about trying to sing a communion hymn when I was writing about communion psalms? RitualSong contains 173 psalm settings in its psalter section. Certainly, not all of them are unworthy, unsingable dogs, like most of those communion hymns!

But, no, you had the PIPs attempt to sing a wretched communion hymn, and now you've gone sour on the whole idea of the PIPs singing at communion altogether.

So, if you weren't going to have the PIPs attempt to sing a psalm during the communion procession, why did you have them try one of the wretched communion hymns instead of one of the few which are unworthy, unsingable dogs cats?
    Thanked by 2Gavin Andrew Motyka
  • CharlesW
    I would like to do away with the communion hymn altogether and replace it with a post-communion hymn. I am working on that. And yes, the Ritual Song psalms are pretty bad, too, or at least one third of them are. We get a new pastor next month and I hope to lead him to a new and better hymnal. We have had that hymnal for a good 15 years, at least, so a replacement is long overdue. At one of our masses, the cantor is chanting the communion antiphon and verses from the Proper and the hymn doesn't begin until communion is over. It is an experiment, but so far seems to work well enough to copy the practice to other masses.
  • soarmarcsoarmarc
    Right now, I am preparing the following:

Entrance: For All The Saints
    Kyrie VIII
    Gloria: ICEL
    Offertory Hymn: Faith of Our Fathers
    Offertory Antiphon: "You will make them princes..." (LCM)
    Sanctus: ICEL
    Agnus Dei: ICEL
    Communion Antiphon: "You are Peter..." (LCM)
    Communion Hymn: Apostolorum Passio (transl. by K. Pluth) to ROCKINGHAM
    Recessional: Holy God, We Praise Thy Name
  • mahrt
    We will have a completely sung Mass in Latin (lessons sung in English); Mass IV, Credo III sung by congregation--Kyrie sung in alternation with a fifteenth-century setting; all the Gregorian propers, including gradual and alleluia. An offertory motet, Quem dicunt homines of Richafort and as a communion motet, Byrd's Ave Verum Corpus. Congregation's singing will include all the dialogues and the Pater Noster.
    Thanked by 2Ben JulieColl
  • CharlesW
    Looks like we will be doing:

Entrance: Sing with All the Saints in Glory (HYMN TO JOY)
    Mass Ordinary: ICEL Roman Missal Chants
    Psalm: 34:5 by Howard L Hughes (WLP collection)
    Offertory: Lead Me, Lord by Samuel Sebastian Wesley
    Communion Proper: R. Rice
    Communion Hymn: Heavenly Hosts in Ceaseless Worship (by Noel Tredinnick)
    Post Communion Anthem: The Lord Bless You and Keep You - Lutkin (The choir saying goodbye to our retiring pastor)
    Recessional: For All the Saints (SINE NOMINE)
    Postlude: A. Raison, Sanctus-Plein Jeu, Messe du Deuziesme Ton (short, but they will be out the door before I finish - LOL)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Must be "Byrd" Month. Between this and the Corpus Christi thread (including me switching my own setting of AVC for Mssr. WillieByrd's last Sunday) it's such a pleasure to see so many churches having heard this diamond piece over this month.
    Forty years ago, does anyone here think so many choirs in so many parishes would have enjoyed and savored that masterwork. If they were lucky, they got an SA arrangement of Mozart from the Gregory.
    Mahrt's Truth is Marching On.......ta da da da dahhhhhhhhhhhh ta dahhhhhhhhh!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    So, if you weren't going to have the PIPs attempt to sing a psalm during the communion procession, why did you have them try one of the wretched communion hymns instead of one of the few which are unworthy, unsingable dogs cats?

Yeesh, you're on a roll today, Padre.
    Would it help your sensus fidelium that I confess to you that we sang Toolanbread and Schiavone's "Amen: El Cuerpo de Cristo" at our main Masses?
    Man, have a mojito or something, it's hot outside.
    Thanked by 1bkenney27
  • CharlesW
    There are around 4 decent communion hymns in Ritual Song. The rest are mired in the seventies. That time has passed and I certainly have moved on to something else. We use RS only for hymns and get our psalms and mass parts from WLP missalettes. Like I mentioned earlier, I am long ago ready for a new hymnal and will see what we can sell to the new pastor.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • ronkrisman
    Sorry, Melo, but when someone writes that "we attempt to sing one of the wretched GIA communion hymns from Ritual Song" and when this does not go very well he basically signs off from having the PIPs sing at all at communion, and this is somehow directed to me even though I never mentioned singing "hymns" at communion at all, then, yes, I think I have a right to respond.

Please go back and re-read the entire exchange - including the most recent 7:14 PM addition - before declaring who is, and who isn't on a roll.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    Will you feel better if I am able to buy Worship IV ???? ;-) A much better hymnal than RS.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Our parish has a traditional choir-slot at the Offertory (just like the Methodists). I'm not even sure if in certain views replacing the 4-hymn sandwich with a triple-decker is not an abomination too, but if this is in fact an approved compromise do we infer that Offertoria totious anni is part of the treasury of sacred polyphony while Palestrina's Masses are not?
    A congregation which sings only one four-stanza hymn at Mass sings at least twice as long as a congregation which sings all the dialogues.
    To draw the logical conclusion and prefer the former seems
    hardly indicative of someone who is "a very liturgically minded fellow."

My apologies for rising to the bait; I'm quite willing to cop to Monday crankiness.
  • Kathy
    It works quite well if the PIPs are singing only an antiphon and a psalmist or the choir sings the verses.
    The very first change any DM should make to instantly improve the liturgy is sing the ad libitum Communion Psalms instead of a hymn. Sing them right out of your Respond and Acclaim or Gelineau or whatever.
  • Kathy
    Btw it's very enjoyable to hear that my texts are being sung in these fine programs!
  • GavinGavin
    Can't agree more with Kathy. The Psalms should be sung during Communion.
  • BruceL
    I'm basically hanging up my Catholic hat and doing Friedell "Draw us in" and Rutter "God be in my head" along with Mass VIII and the propers, even though it's our patronal feast. #thisiswhathappenswhentheDoMdoesn'tplantheendoftheseasonwell
  • chonakchonak
    I don't know whether this is a real omission, but I would have liked to see the Our Father among the sung parts of Mass on Matthew's fine program.

Some congregations are routinely kept from singing that major part of the Ordinary of the Mass, and it is a deplorable omission. It may be a carryover of old-rite practice, like the four-hymn sandwich. People in the pews may not take readily to singing during communion, but they are enthusiastic about singing the Our Father.

• donr
    Yes chonak, I would say that of all the music we sing, the Our Father is loudest and most robust piece we sing. I don't think there is one person in the church that is silent during it.
    Thanked by 2G canadash
  • hartleymartin
    May I bring your attention to the General Instruction of the Roman Missal, Pars 86 and 88:

86. While the priest is receiving the Sacrament, the Communion chant is begun. Its purpose is to express the communicants’ union in spirit by means of the unity of their voices, to show joy of heart, and to highlight more clearly the “communitarian” nature of the procession to receive Communion. The singing is continued for as long as the Sacrament is being administered to the faithful. If, however, there is to be a hymn after Communion, the Communion chant should be ended in a timely manner. (Emphasis Added)

So, according to the Modern Roman Rite, a hymn at communion is entirely appropriate.

88. When the distribution of Communion is finished, as circumstances suggest, the priest and faithful spend some time praying privately. If desired, a psalm or other canticle of praise or a hymn may also be sung by the entire congregation.(Emphasis Added)

And, it seems that congregational singing is at least an option, even if not explicitly encouraged.

Now, just to take a slightly deeper look at the matter:

87. In the dioceses of the United States of America there are four options for the Communion chant:

(1) the antiphon from The Roman Missal or the Psalm from the Roman Gradual as set to music there or in another musical setting;
    (2) the seasonal antiphon and Psalm of the Simple Gradual;
    (3) a song from another collection of psalms and antiphons, approved by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops or the diocesan Bishop, including psalms arranged in responsorial or metrical forms;
    (4) a suitable liturgical song chosen in accordance with no. 86.

This is sung either by the choir alone or by the choir or cantor with the people.

So, it seems that singing the communion chant and then another appropriate communion song, hymn, psalm, canticle, etc, is a very legitimate option, particularly in the Dioceses of the USA!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • hartleymartin
    My own personal preference is to sing a communion chant until most of the congregation have received communion and have returned to the pews, followed by a suitable communion or thanksgiving hymn such as "Soul of My Saviour" or "Let All Mortal Flesh"
    Thanked by 2melofluent Ben