People interested in learning to play the organ and do not play piano.
  • We've been approached by people who do not play the organ but would love to be able to learn to play.

We are developing a program for this purpose. It is only for people who do not play the piano.

Reading music is not a requirement and will be covered as well.

This is a test program - to apply click here.

[if you are invited to participate there is a fee of $10. It is refundable.]

Thank you.
  • RMSawicki
    This is an excellent idea.

There are many folks who have a passionate desire to learn the organ, but are frequently discouraged by a gatekeeper mentality among some teachers ("Oh, unless you have five years of piano studies under your belt you can't even begin to study organ!")

The organ and the piano are two totally different instruments, and those who feel "called" to learn organ should be given every possible encouragement, particularly if that calling is connected to their love of sacred music and the sacred liturgy, as the organ IS a liturgical instrument, and the piano is not. Indeed, as The Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy reminds us, the pipe organ is THE liturgical instrument of the Latin Church.

Gaudete in Domino Semper!
  • Bobby Bolin
    Will this help break bad habits from about 15 years of self-learning?
  • francis
    Noel:

That is great. How many people are interested in this?

In my experience (beginning piano lessons at the age of five), that the piano is unecessary and can actually cause confusion since the technique is different (wind instrument as compared to a percussion instrument) if the ultimate goal is to play the organ, unless of course, the student is trained to realize the basic differences from the start. It is interesting to see the correlation between organ and harpsichord, and that the technique used on the harpsichord can actually exist between that of the piano and the organ as it is important to sustain harmonics by using finger substitution as you do on the organ.

The main reason to use the piano it seems, would be for the geographical relationship of hands to keyboard, to be able to practice the technique of scales and passages at home. Otherwise, it is better to learn the idiom of organ playing from the start, (especially the art of sustaining notes, chords, finger substitution to maintain legato, etc.)

Let me know how it plays out. (haha... pun)
  • The organ and the piano are two totally different instruments

RMS, you've got it!

Bobby, it might.

Francis, this project ignores that the piano was ever invented.
  • francis
    lol
  • SalieriSalieri

The modern piano or the fortepiano?
  • francis
    Salieri:

I could be wrong, but I don't think it makes much difference since the action and technique truly are very much the same.
  • CharlesW
    I studied piano enough to learn notes and read scores. Then I began organ. When I was in college, I had to take two years of piano since it was a required. I still don't think I play that instrument very well, and have been an organist from the start. Other than learning notes, I am not sure piano is essential if you don't plan on playing it much.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • SalieriSalieri
    francis: It was a bad attempt at humour... sorry.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    That was me when I first started. I can tell you what worked for me if you need a testimonial. However, I came from a professionally trained music background: degree in music education (studied clarinet). However many of us who aspire to teach publicly do not make it into that profession and land jobs as music teachers for Catholic schools or music directors for churches, but didn't have adequate keyboard training to do the job initially. I think this is a wonderful idea and I would love to be of help in any way at can.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • If Bach and Buxtehude were "decent players" without learning to play the piano, we figure everyone has a chance.

Seriously, learning piano makes you learn to do many, many things that are not required when playing the organ, including things that can create tension that damages playing.

Mastering the piano is very, very difficult. The organ less so.

As pianists put it, everything about playing a piano effectively is creating an illusion, an illusion that the piano is doing things it cannot.

I do not believe that there is another instrument that calls for this.

[this has come about partly because I am studying cello from a book that was written just at the end of the baroque era]

Playing the organ is much, much more, like playing the clarinet than the piano.
  • donr
    I am interested and will sign up.
    I have a piano at home and home organ at church. I have 3 keyboards, one with weighted keys, the others not.

So basically I do not have an instrument to practice on. But I'll give it my best shot with what I have.

I am the Leader of my choir but do not play, so this will help me.
    I do know some piano.
  • donr
    I am signed up
  • The two keyboards without weighted keys are EXCELLENT for this purpose, along tine the organ at church. Welcome!
  • Jani
    This might be interesting, but is more info available before I give you personal info?
  • donr
    Jani, I've been giving my personal info to Noel for a couple of years now and have had no issues... yet.
  • Jani, message me privately with questions clicking on my name above.

Addition: We ask for the full name, location, email address, age and telephone number. The phone number is only for use in case emails do not go through, and you may leave it blank if you like.
  • hartleymartin
    To learn organ, one needs to be proficient in playing the keyboard and piano is usually the most convenient way to get started.
  • G
    As someone whose fingers and arms often tire or become sore from long periods of organ-playing, (due to the fact that my brain knows but my body forgets that I CAN'T MAKE IT LOUDER BY POUNDING,) (did I mention that I'm also a pretty lousy pianist?) I applaud the effort.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Wayne Leupold of Wayne Leupold Editions, Inc., has also produced a series of methods that are based on learning the organ without having learned the piano. They are excellent books, and I have used them with students.

http://www.wayneleupold.com/organ-teaching-methods.html
    Thanked by 2Gavin Jahaza
    Basic keyboard techniques can be learned at any type of keyboard instrument. You don't need to have prior keyboard training in order to touch the hallowed keys of the organ. I learned my keyboard techniques primarily at the organ. I knew where the keys were because of exposure to the piano, but I didn't know any actual songs on the piano before I began playing organ; neither did I learn scales, arpeggios, etc until I got to the organ console.
  • kevinfkevinf
    The problem is that organ literature from the mid-19th century on is so deeply influenced by the piano that a certain amount of study is necessary. I use the Leupold books and while I am happy with them, I have found going to the piano is necessary after some time.

Please, Bach and Buxtehude were harpsichord players, so please do not say that they only played the organ. Harpsichord technique is closer to the organ than the piano but it still takes work.

My organ students still study the piano so I am not a good voice on this question.
  • I agree that it would be silly to say that they only played the organ, since they spent 99.9% of their time playing the harpsichord (and clavichord) for economic reasons...unless that's why Bach had so many kids - to get more practice time at the organ!

Anyone who wants to learn the organ can and should. Wayne Leupold's books are highly regarded and should be. The approach we are taking is different, but it's just a different way and may or may not be "better" for a student than Leupold or Stainer.

IWhat are the requirements of these mid-19th century pieces - what pieces do you have your students study? - and what do you teach as far as the piano technique to make them playable. I - and others, I am sure - would be very interested in hearing more about what you have learned, Kevin!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Hartley,

Of course "piano is usually the most convenient way to get started" is true - but the question has always been in some minds...can it hinder a student to spend much time learning to do things to make the piano sound that you never, ever, use on the organ?

So, is it better to practice on an instrument for hours that demands you do things that you do not need to do - and that can even cause tension that is detrimental to playing the organ - or better (and this is aimed towards adults) to spend short periods of time doing exactly and only what you need to learn to play the organ at the organ.
    Yes, Kevin, that is essentially correct. Given what I said above, I also believe in studying keyboard techniques at other types of instruments such as the piano or the harpsichord. It can be quite valuable to do so, and can be done without making someone a harpsichordist or pianist in the truest sense of the terms. For example, I find it quite beneficial to study organ music at the piano first, because I have easier access to a piano and I can work out the fingerings etc before I get to the console and register everything. The only issue is working on pedals, but I normally just play that part in the left hand and play one of the other parts in the right. If you leave the sustain pedal alone, the piano can give a decent approximation of what a work will feel like at the organ. This is because the basic keyboard concepts involved are the same. For doing pedals, I have actually found it beneficial to play the part in the left hand as stated above, because I am thinking about it and how it relates to what is going on around it.
  • This is because the basic keyboard concepts involved are the same.

They really are not...in fact, I do a Playing the Invisible Notes clinic which is only open to people who have been yelled at by a teacher for using the sustain pedal at the piano when playing Bach and baroque music.

There are shared musical effects (some, like playing the invisible notes, ignored) but playing the piano is much much more like playing snare drum than playing the organ. Wasted time mastering motor skills just to get the piano playing can better be spent in concentrated playing at the organ or the harpsichord - two instruments that do have a shared technique.

But there's no reason to beat this issue into submission on this forum, instead let's let the students try it and report back.
  • donr
    My wife is a pianist, and she has problems with the organ. Its not that she can't play it, she does a great job. However she always complains about that its difficult for her to change up her technique to play the organ as it should be played.
    She has been playing the piano for about 30 years, and even though she took organ in college it is not the same.
    They are different instruments. I am excited to take the little knowledge I have on the piano and really learn to play the organ.

thanks for offering this course.
  • CharlesW
    Noel, if you can take students who are not organists, but who want to learn enough to be able to play at liturgy, then this is a very good thing. You are not creating organ majors, so it isn't necessary to get into heavy organ literature or the characteristics of various keyboard instruments. It seems to me you are attempting to develop service players, which many smaller churches don't have, and can't get. I like it!
  • donr
    CharlesW, that is exactly where I am.
  • donr
    So I told my wife how excited I was to be taking these lessons.
    Her comment was that I will have to wear organ shoes along with the other organ dorks.

One of the reasons I love my wife is because she is so supportive.
  • BruceL
    The way I conceptualize playing the organ is totally different than the way I conceptualize playing piano:

piano=all about attack
    organ=all about release

That said, as Kevin says, so much of the repertoire that we use is heavily influenced by piano technique that I believe piano is really a prerequisite. That said, I absolutely think organists should know/use/feel comfortable with "early" fingerings that developed more as a result of organ or clavichord technique.
    Thanked by 1Palestrina
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    so much of the repertoire that we use is heavily influenced by piano technique that I believe piano is really a prerequisite

Some of us just want to be able to accompany hymns and chants, and do simple preludes and things as needed.
  • BruceL
    Adam, your point is well-taken. I suppose I should qualify: I find it hard to believe (assuming a *decent* organ to play upon) that a person who is a musician in the Catholic Church would not be driven to learn more about the organ and its repertoire. This is obviously subjective, but the beauty of the instrument is compelling and, to quote that eminent organist/performer Shakira, "these liturgical documents don't lie".
  • BruceL and Kevin,

Please lay out exactly what piano technique is needed, I am sure that there are many here who really want to know and understand so that they can, themselves, decide whether or not they need to learn more piano technique for their playing at the organ.

Examples of music and the rationale would help - including youtube or training videos that explain this.
  • Palestrina
    Bach taught his students using the clavichord. It's a sensitive instrument, painfully honest, and teaches an amazing degree of control. Speerstra's book is really worth a read.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Agree w/ @Palestrina
    The clavichord is a mighty delicate instrument with a lot of expressiveness. Very unobtrusive accompanying the voice or other quiet instruments.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • bonniebede
    I grew up in a house where there was always a piano, which we fooled around on as kids. I did a term of piano lessons at about age 12, with preliminary grade exam. That's it.
    Now we have a nice electric piano, with good key action (simulates a real piano) and a nice organ sound. I am practicing on my own, as to insert our schola into the liturgy will require convincing gatekeepers in the parish that chant, accompanied, can sound as sweet as the liturgical popmusic they are used to thinking of as normal. Unaccompanied chant , or too much of it, will still sound strange. The Parish has an electric organ, with two keyboards and pedals and lots of stops and things which I don't know much about at all. Any help , even just pointers as to pieces of music to practise, will help. Being on a different continent, I am presuming that you are suggesting something which can be communicated over the internet.
    We moved to this parish from one of the few parishes in the country that employs an organist, who is not only a superb organist but one of the countries foremost composers, choir directors and teachers, and who also have invested in restoring a magnificent organ. I am not looking to emulate that... but there must be many like me who look longingly at that as an ideal, and then return to a very impoverished reality in their home parish and wonder, what can I do to improve the situation?
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • I need to jump in here - sorry for the long silence from the deep antipodes but work sometime has a way of interfering with life

"What Piano technique is needed" is a bit of a loaded question; there is technique that allows a pianist to turn notes on the page into music, then there's a more fundamental technique of being able to put your fingers in the right place at the about right time (and also in being able to workout exactly which finger to use on that tenor D to allow you to play the next bar without needing to turn your arm completely around at the shoulder...)

I submit the more advanced elements of the first are not truly necessary if you intend to learn the organ whereas the second can be learned on any keyboard to a degree. Why did Bach teach and practice on the clavichord? Some of it was probably because having to head out to an unheated church and then find pay someone to pump wind into the organ just wasn't that attractive a proposition on a cold winter's evening and there would be a fair chance the student would have easier access to a clavichord at home than an organ.

The benefit of learning the basics of the keyboard on an instrument such as the piano is that there's relatively little to distract the beginning learner from the basics of playingthe right note at the right time, whereas organs or (ahem) electronic keyboards have such an array of sounds available there isa chance that useful practice time might be lost to the gee-whizz of "what does this button do". (Even some supposedly responsible...ahem again... adults are occasionally prone to this when struggling with awkward passages...)

Having said that, in an age where an organ simulacrum is well within reach for many people to practice in their homes, I remain unconvinced that basic note pushing cannot be learned on one of these as well as on a piano provided some of the obvious distractions can be overcome.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    lay out exactly what piano technique is needed . . . for playing at the organ

Pedals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zti_CN4lpeI
    Thanked by 1ZacPB189
  • Palestrina
    Eccles, if it had been a matter of convenience alone, Bach could have taught his students on the harpsichord just as easily. He didn't. In fact, there are references in the literature of the period to the difference in sound produced by a harpsichordist taught only on the harpsichord, and harpsichordist who had mastered the clavichord - the latter have a more solid and expressive technique.

Organ technique is about so much more than putting notes down: it's not some kind of glorified computer keyboard. That's why I hate toasters - they reduce organ music to an up or down motion, failing to take into account that it's all about how the key is pressed and released that changes the sound.

As to the variety of sounds on an organ - the student really must sit with these. Not all pipes speak at the same rate, not all ranks have the same colours through their range. If more organists did this, then some strange effects might be avoided!
    Thanked by 2Gavin CHGiffen
  • That's why I hate toasters - they reduce organ music to an up or down motion, failing to take into account that it's all about how the key is pressed and released that changes the sound.

This is no longer accurate in any way and show a lack of knowledge of the state of current organ building. You are hereby sentenced to attending a recital by my friend Cameron Carpenter, who practiced in his young years on an organ that I designed and voiced.
  • Palestrina
    "Cameron Carpenter". I rest my case.
    I would sooner watch a 3-hour "Best of Andre Rieu" special.
    Thanked by 3Gavin BruceL RMSawicki
  • CharlesW
    When two organists agree on instruments, playing techniques, and registrations...it is a sign of the impending Apocalypse. Get your valuables and run!
  • they reduce organ music to an up or down motion, failing to take into account that it's all about they reduce organ music to an up or down motion, failing to take into account that it's all about how the key is pressed and released that changes the sound..

What percentage of pipe organs playing in churches in the USA actually respond to "how the key is pressed and released that changes the sound". We really want to know.
  • GavinGavin
    Palestrina, this is not only true of toasters, but of any non-tracker touch instrument.
  • And it no longer not true of digital organs.
  • Palestrina
    The development of electric action was the when the rot started to set in - it eliminated the intimate connection that had existed between the organist and the pipes and had been the basis for organ technique for centuries.

Noel, I don't know or especially care what percentage of organs in US churches respond to touch. What I do know is that aspiring organists should be taught the full expressive possibilities that the organ provides, when properly built. The starting point that Bach and friends used was the clavichord. It was a good idea.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • CharlesW
    What I do know is that aspiring organists should be taught the full expressive possibilities that the organ provides, when properly built.

I think you have hit on the heart of the matter WHEN PROPERLY BUILT!!! Unless an organist is lucky enough to be involved in the design and purchase of a new instrument, said organist will be playing what the church already has. It is always cheaper to get a new organist than to get a new pipe organ.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Palestrina
    You've missed my point, CharlesW: the organist should always be aware of what an instrument should do, whether or not their instrument at any one time does do it.
  • Palestrina
    You've missed my point, CharlesW: the organist should always be aware of what an instrument should do, whether or not their instrument at any one time does do it.