Random question: Catholic teaching on the priesthood
  • PhatFlute
    Why are women not priests and priests don't marry? Is this just a coincidence? (Just kidding, I know it is not allowed)
    Why do episcopals do it? I know nothing on this subject.

Thanks for your answers. They are always interesting and amusable.
    Ph
  • dad29
    IIRC, this forum concentrates on matters church-musical.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • PhatFlute
    There is a general discussion option. And also also there was a discussion about this. And I also called it "Random question". Sorry
  • Chonak:

Since this topic is manifestly not germane to the purpose of the CMAA, should it be halted?

Cheers,

Chris
  • chonakchonak
    It's OK. The "General Discussion" category is here for non-music discussions. If someone would like to find out more about Catholic teaching in some particular area, that's fine.

Of course, this forum isn't really about doctrinal discussions.

The links Chrism posted lead over to the organization "Catholic Answers", which specializes in helping people learn and appreciate Catholic teaching. They are a very good resource.
  • Don't feed the trolls...
    Thanked by 3Gavin Liam eft94530
  • Paul F. Ford
    Many of our friends in the churches of the reformation have become functionalist when it comes to ordination and gender. So they ordain married and single women and men.

We and the Orthodox ordain only men to the ministerial priesthood because of our sacramentalist understanding that the priest and the bishop are an icon of Christ the bridegroom. We ordain celibate males as priests and bishops but have received into the priesthood married men who have been ordained in other Christian churches. The Orthodox and Easter Catholic churches ordain married men priests.

Women and men are priests thanks to the sacrament of baptism. Pope Saint John Paul tells us that "“According to St. Peter, the whole people of the new covenant is established as ‘a spiritual house,’ ‘a holy priesthood,’ . . . The new priestly people which is the church not only has its authentic image in Christ, but also receives from him a real ontological share in his one eternal priesthood, to which she must conform every aspect of her life” [Pastores Dabo Vobis, §13, 1992].

The best essay on priesthood, common and ministerial, is by Cardinal Vanhoye, the first cardinal named by Pope Benedict XVI.
  • churches of the reformation

May I suggest that we call them what they are: ecclesial communities of the revolt?
  • PhatFlute
    I have got my answer thanks to mr. Chrism. Feel free to delete
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Just my opinion, but...

While I think this question was a little out of place, I don't think "PhatFlute" is a troll. We're all at different places in our "faith journeys" and I think that it would be charitable to assume the best of intentions on his part. There are a lot of very knowledgeable posters here, and they were quickly able to point him in the right direction. In short: cut him some slack and help him direct this type of question to a more appropriate location in the future.

My $0.02
  • GavinGavin
    Troll is the wrong word, perhaps. But definitely in the wrong place.
  • Liam
    I am not sure anymore.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • PhatFlute
    I appreciate your complement, irishtenor.
    I think I know what troll means. Funny word for me, but I am very much human =).
    Liam, ok.
    And thank you for futher clarifyng the questions answer.!..

If I do not belong, Richard C will tell me. And I might leave,
    Ph

PS :: Phat = Phil = Phillis = girl
  • bonniebede
    I support the use of the general discussion or topic heading for this sort of question. Questions about the faith should always be given some slack and a little charity, IMHO.
  • PhatFlute
    If I were asking about hot dogs and geese (two of my favorite things), would there be a problem? Yes. God related questions? No problem.
  • BJJ1978
    Regardless your religious background or beliefs, it is profoundly disrespectful to pose such a "question" as that on a forum as this. Simply using google would have been far more efficient and less damaging. I say this because you state that you find it amusing to learn the answers to such questions. I don't think there's anything amusing about what a Faith holds to be sacred, whether you agree/disagree. I also concur with those who point out the purpose of this forum, and that "general discussion" does not include taking little stabs at a Faith for your own amusement.

Humble yourself, bow low. It isn't only in the Church that we are in the presence of God.
  • donr
    BJJ1978, I believe that the OP was saying that the answers given on this forum are interesting and amusable, not the topic.

Thanks for your answers. They are always interesting and amusable

So please...

Humble yourself, bow low. It isn't only in the Church that we are in the presence of God.

remember the meek shall inherit the earth. Faith, Hope and Charity, the greatest of these is Charity (Love).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • PhatFlute
    I love you all for your understanding. A wish of good wishes I send to you.
  • chonakchonak
    Please, folks, be understanding of strange-sounding questions, especially when they come from people who weren't born speaking English and living in America. There are cross-cultural aspects to being a Forum user.
  • Jani
    ^^^^^ That's true. I wonder if Phillis would tell us where she's from and how she came to be here? Or she could private message me :)
  • Bill,

Unless people identify themselves from non-English speaking countries, and unless there is an obvious difficulty with language, how does one tell on line that someone isn't a native speaker? (Yes, I speak more than one language.)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • PhatFlute
    I admit I am not good at writing, so I would think you can tell :)
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Vietnam, English is her fourth language.

You can tell someone is not a native speaker online by word order being slightly out of place, as a first sign. Choice of a name that is not in the local language or words of another language that might be commonly used around the subject of the forum. And...strange sounding questions that reflect a different culture.

And that's just three of the ways you can tell.
  • ryandryand
    @BJJ1978

Attitudes like yours are why I left the faith in adolescence. It took a good friend some clear explanation (see: Chrism), a lot of patience and A LOT of charity to help me see the truth beyond the rubble of condescension and self-righteousness in the pews and certain media representations of the faith.

Eventually I returned to the Catholic church in spite of the majority of Catholics I had encountered.
  • ryandryand
    Or, you know... WWJD.

I would not follow Christ if I could fathom him writing a response like that.
  • CharlesW
    WWJD? What would Jackson do? ;-) I think some basic miscommunication may be gong on. I think Latin Catholics are pretty funny, too. Laughing at them is better than screaming at them. LOL.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Laughing with them trumps laughing at them as well, CDub.;-)
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • CharlesW
    It does, for sure! Catholics are unique. They don't have the good taste of Episcopalians, the detached elegance of Presbyterians, the amiability of Methodists, or the enthusiasm of Baptists. Ya gotta love em! ;-)
  • rich_enough
    I'm not scandalized BJJ1978's response, just mystified. I wondering where he saw any disrespect, let alone a "stab at the Faith" in the question or the subsequent comments.

I usually just ignore comments like this. I don't know why anyone would think that his strange off-putting attitude has much of anything to do with the Catholic faith.
  • Rich_enough,

Joseph Pearce (an English author) recounts a story in which he was in Ireland, helping to stir up trouble some years ago. The people he encountered wanted to know if he was a Catholic or a Protestant. He replied that he was an atheist. They pressed him, in his telling, "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?"

When one has decided that Catholics are wrong, bad behavior or even behavior perceived to be uncharitable is directly linked to the fact of the person in question being Catholic.

In our own day, when one encounters plain-speaking persons, in comboxes on the internet, the assumption is commonly made that this person is being intentionally rude, and it must be a result of being from the wrong group.

• ghmus7
    If one wants a definitive examination of this issue, see "the catholic preisthood and women" by sara butler, hillebrandbooks..
  • PhatFlute
    Am I glad I did not ask about the gays people. ;-)
    You all agree or disagree with church's teaching? Any music can be applied to to this?

Thanks. I appreciate thoughtful answers that you give me so religiousley,
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Okay, PhatFlute, I'll bite:

Some people want to make this a complicated issue, but it isn't.

Christ chose twelve (12) men and zero (0) women to be his apostles and conferred upon them the Sacrament of Holy Orders at the Last Supper. He could have done this differently and did not. I respect the definitive teaching (most recently) of Pope St. John Paul II when he said that the Church has no authority to confer priestly ordination on women.

It would be the height of hubris and disobedience to presume that I know better than the Bride of Christ, the Holy Catholic Church.
  • PhatFlute
    Interesting, thank you,
    Is there some music for this prayer?

Ph
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I don't think so, but I'm not sure what you mean. Which prayer?
  • BenBen
    I assume she is talking about the ordination Mass, when they become priests.
  • francis
    music for this issue

sung in round to the tune LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE

men, men, men, men
    to the priesthood is thy call
    there can be no other solution
    God loves us all
  • chonakchonak
    If I remember right, the rite of ordination specifies that there is no music or singing while the bishop lays hands on the candidates for ordination.