Core Hymnody - What do we need?
  • GavinGavin
    Kathy recently authored a post calling for the best hymns for core hymnody. This is not an atypical post here, and neither was the response atypical. Everyone is chiming in with what their personal favorite hymns are, usually with a few Anglican tunes to sound knowledgeable, and demanding that "every parish needs to sing CROOKED BOWTIE!" I find these "core hymnody" discussions therefore quite useless.

However, the concept of a "core hymnody" IS very important; I think there ought to be a small number of hymns which EVERYONE should know, which any congregation will sing confidently and which any visitor will be able to join in. So rather than figure out what those hymns are, I propose that we use this thread to think about what a universal core repertoire should be on an ontological level.

How big should a universal core repertoire be? What determines what hymns are in? What do we NEED in it? Are we speaking prescriptively (These hymns need to be in every hymnal) or descriptively (these are hymns which most everyone knows)?

Only being conscientious of the goals of such a list can we finally embark on creating it.
  • GavinGavin
    For example, I'll give my thoughts.

I propose that we can act prescriptively in this matter. We are mostly in situations to control programming, and thus to teach people hymns. With a concerted effort, we can make sure that a lot of people know CROOKED BOWTIE forwards and backwards.

How big should such a list be? My inclination is to say 50 hymns, but that strikes me as too big on further reflection. We aren't talking about the total repertoire of hymns for a parish, but rather the seed of it. Perhaps we could content ourselves at around 25ish?

And I think we need to look to what kinds of hymns people need, seasonably and topically:
    Advent: 3 hymns
    (I think we can safely ignore Christmas and just assume everyone already knows all the hymns they need for that)
    Lent: 4 hymns
    Passiontide: 2 hymns
    Easter: 4 hymns
    Holy Spirit: 3 hymns
    General "Praise" subject matter: 5 hymns
    Eucharistic: 4 hymns
    "Other", specific and topical: 5 hymns

This would make a list of 30 hymns. Do you think we could come up with 30 hymns every parish can know?

For that matter, it also brings up the interesting question of how many hymns a congregation can/should be expected to know, though that is a different question.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Everyone is chiming in with what their personal favorite hymns are, usually with a few Anglican tunes to sound knowledgeable,

Not to digress, Gavin, but was that judgment really necessary to advance your point?
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • G
    (I think we can safely ignore Christmas and just assume everyone already knows all the hymns they need for that)

If you've made that assumption, I think you might be surprised.

But I find this discussion useless until this core rep is established.
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Kathy
    I rarely disagree with you, G, but in this case I wonder why you think these two improvements to liturgical music can't be worked on simultaneously.
  • GavinGavin
    Jubilate Deo should be a part of any Catholic core repertoire - and yes, carry the highest priority.
  • Kathy
    Although I respect him, I very often disagree with Charles. Potatoe potahtoe. But that's another kettle of salmon.
  • BenBen
    I think 25 hymns for a core rep of hymnody is excellent. Not a ceiling, but a floor. In addition to Jubilate Deo, as g mentions, and we all should know.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    You lost me, Kathy. I can't connect the dots of relevance to the OP.
  • Kathy
    See what I mean?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Uncle, UNCLE! Help me ObiWan Kathy!
  • Kathy
    Sorry. I'm trying to be nice to you right now, actually. Read my comment to G first.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'm trying to be nice to you right now, actually.

And I know what a difficult thing that is to do, I have earned your just ire over many years, but I, too, respect and love you, K. Last clause not in purple.

• Kathy
    Fist bump, homey.
  • G
    I don't disagree with you, Kathy. Simultaneously, but nonetheless prioritized.
    I was just being snarky saying that this was a "useless" discussion to yank Gavin's chain because I took the OP the same way Charles did.
    Frankly, I think the real use of the other thread, besides being kind of fun, was to demonstrate that this kind of limited, specific list is never going to fly, because of the particular character of the OHC&A Church as described by Joyce -- "Here comes everybody!"

I went to a lotta Church when I was a kid, (I collected hymnals!) and through school (not just dragged on Sunday, if you know what I mean,) and when I went on to conservatory, a lot of different churches, my parents were musical, their friends often musicians at other parishes where we would go for liturgical and devotional events, I sang and heard what I thought was a massive range of music -- but throughout my adult life I have been shocked at how often I come upon a hymn totally new to me, while I am assured "everybody knows this one!"

And with the demographics of this country, I don't know that a "core hymnody" of the English-language hymns most of us on this forum could nominate to such a list, would have much use or claim to "universality."

Are we taking note of the fact that Hispanic Catholics are already the majority of the under-30s in the American Church?

In my collection I have a couple editions of Cantate Domino, the hymnal of "The World's Christian Student Foundation," they have well over a hundred hymns, and there was apparently a change in editorial philosophy between the two, as to pleasing each national or denominational groups as opposed to establishing a core that everyone could use, that most people knew.
    (Although there are some hymns in Korean, Norwegian, etc. the only languages all hymns are presented in are German, French and English.)

Looking at what they settled on, there is very little that decades later seems useful to me, (although to be fair, IIRC, the first few are GROSSER GOTT, LASST..., maybe FESTE BURG?)

Gary Penkala on CNP had a list of 100, don't remember the source of the list, but it didn't seem to have any traction.

Anyway, this, like the other thread strikes me as fun, interesting, but not useful on any but a very local, very personal, very parochial, (in both senses of the word,) level.

Wow, I took so long there's more conversation before I post! MUST learn not to ramble....

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
    Thanked by 1francis
  • G
    Sorry, Canticanova had a list of 150, complied by the Consultation on Ecumenical Hymnody.

(I didn't know them all at the time, and I don't now...)

Save the Liturgy, save the World!
  • Gavin,

Back in the late 1970s when working as a staff writer for GoodNews, a homiletic service edited by Fr. Joseph Nolan and at that time published by Franciscan Publications, I proposed exactly what you suggest (only I offered 35 core hymns if I remember correctly). It was all standard stuff: Praise to the Lord, All Creatures/Ye Watchers, Now Thank We All Our God, Let All Mortal Flesh, etc. Nolan pushed the idea though I’m doubtful whether the 5000 or so clergy subscribers took heed. (He had argued in the 1960s for American Catholics to adopt the 1940 Episcopal hymnal; we see how far that got.)

Obstacles to developing a core hymn repertoire are perhaps greater today, as G suggests, and I’m wondering whether there aren’t fundamental issues that need to be addressed first. (The omnipresence of the microphone for music purposes would be high on my list since, contrary to popular belief, it hinders congregational singing.) The basic idea though of an essential core hymnody is not without merit and I’m glad that you've renewed an old topic.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Only being conscientious of the goals of such a list can we finally embark on creating it.

Biggest caveat emptor that I envision, Gavin, is the blindingly glaring reality that the local Ordinary has final jurisdiction upon whatever "white list" is compiled here, by the ghosts of the Snowbird Statement or even the bishops who brought up the issue of a "white list" litmus test for theological content at a USCCB plenum during Abp. Gregory's presidency. And of course, with the sole exception of Abp. Vigneron, the gathered multitude overwhelmingly abrogated the "problem" to the Sees of (wait for it) Portland and Chicago.
    My old hippy mentor, Don Osuna of Oakland, was on the same page as our friend Randolph three decades ago when he said, "Charlie, there will never be an Amerian Catholic Hymnal. It's an impossibility."
    And of course, a very vocal contingent will be quck to remind us that the GR, the GM or the GS is DA BOOKS already, and SEP and all the rest be consigned to Gehenna.
  • francis
    And of course, a very vocal contingent will be quck to remind us that the GR, the GM or the GS is DA BOOKS already, and SEP and all the rest be consigned to Gehenna.

Wow.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    francis, would it be too much trouble to provide some context for your exclamation? Please/thanks.
  • francis
    Context? Just that yes, the GR, GM and GS are THE books. And the rest are thrown to the devil? (TTTD)
  • How big should a universal core repertoire be? What determines what hymns are in? What do we NEED in it?
    It should be hymnal sized and include chords in the accomp for my basso continuo players.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    francis, keep up with old/current events, please. For a contingent among us, those books suffice, PERIOD. Ergo, SEP/LCM/VIIH/PBC/PBH are irrelevant, hence to Gehenna, which was a smoldering garbage heap outside the walls of Jerusalem, literally. Tho' our Lord used the metaphor quite effectively, you've mistakenly appropriated my caricature far beyond what I amusingly intended.
  • hartleymartin
    Not just a core of hymns, but a core of hymn tunes. The idea being that having familiar hymn tunes in various meters, one could then set a different hymn to the same tune for various special occasions, or hymns that would otherwise be sung only on certain occasions.

For example, I use the tune DRAKES BROUGHTON for "See Us, Lord, About Thine Altar" as a general eucharistic/communion hymns, but it is also commonly used for "Firmly I Believe and Truly" and "Holy Spirit Come Confirm Us." Conveniently, STUTTGART is the same meter, and several other hymns can be swapped between the two tunes.

Some hymns, though the same meter, work better with certain hymn tunes. "Sing We Now the Glorious Martyrs" (Stanbrook Abbey 1977) works brilliantly with STUTTGART.
  • Gavin,

Could you make your question more specific? By "core hymns" do you mean "core vernacular hymns", or "core Catholic hymns", or "core Ecumenical hymns"?
  • chonakchonak
    He might just mean "core hymns".
    Thanked by 2MarkThompson Gavin
  • donr
    And I think we need to look to what kinds of hymns people need, seasonably and topically:
    Advent: 3 hymns
    Lent: 4 hymns
    Passiontide: 2 hymns
    Easter: 4 hymns
    Holy Spirit: 3 hymns
    General "Praise" subject matter: 5 hymns
    Eucharistic: 4 hymns
    "Other", specific and topical: 5 hymns

I think this is pretty straight forward.
    For Advent, what 3 hymns should every musician in every Catholic Church have available to them. These 3 hymns should, at a minimum be played during the season.
    I would think one of them would be "Conditor Alme Siderum" another might be "Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming", Veni, Veni Emmanuel and "Alma Redemptoris Mater".

They should be the core. Others can be played but at minimum these should be part of the repertoire.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    "He had argued in the 1960s for American Catholics to adopt the 1940 Episcopal hymnal."
    Not a bad idea, but we'd have been better off adopting the Anglo-Catholic MASS. Instead, we reinvented the wheel...with corners.
  • Kathy
    3 hymns over 4 Sundays? What is being envisaged here? One hymn per Mass? When? Or 3 hymns, unvarying? I suppose there is something in mind.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • donr
    I don't think he means 3 hymns and only these three hymns. They are only the core hymns. The ones that at a minimum should be done at some point during the whole season.
    You can have as many hymns per Mass as you see fit. You don't really even need to do any of the core hymns if you don't want to. But you should at least give them a consideration because "they are core hymns".

At least that is how I read it.
  • tomjaw
    Should these core hymns be universal so we could all sing them no matter where we live or what our regular spoken language is.
    This would mean a smaller number of Hymns, and perhaps they should be sung in Latin to make them equally accessible... At our E.F. we have been asked to sing vernacular songs / hymns, my reply is, what is the vernacular in south London, Polish? Arabic? native English speakers are not the majority!

I see suggestions above including a few Latin Hymns / Antiphons, that would be appropriate.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I think of "Lo how a rose" (ES IST EIN ROS ENTSPRUNGEN) as a Christmas carol (hymn), not an Advent hymn, and the text is not an Advent text. "Wake, awake! the voice is calling" is better suited as an Advent choice: appropriate text and a familiar tune (WACHET AUF RUFT UNS DIE STIMME). For (early) Advent "On Jordan's banks" to WINCHESTER NEW is an ideal choice. "Alma redemptoris Mater" is the appointed Marian hymn for more than just the Advent season. And "Veni, veni Emmanuel" is perfect for (late) Advent.

But are we to be recommending 3 or 4 "core" hymns for Advent? Or are we to be discussing just how many hymns (and what type/function? - e.g. processional, recessional, offertory, communion, office, Marian hymns) should be a part of the "core" hymnody? From my own perspective a list of under 50 total cannot adequately represent what I perceive as a suitable "core" hymnody for Catholics. It's not like any newbie is going to learn all of these at once, but there should at least be some familiarity with rather more than just 30-50 hymns, at least if the umbrella being cast as to type is fairly representative.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Ok.

Here are "core" hymns:

Adoro Te, Devote,
    Alma Redemptoris Mater
    Anima Christi
    Attende Domine
    Ave Verum Corpus
    Lauda Sion, Salvatorem
    Magnificat Anima Mea Dominum
    Non Nobis Domine
    O Salutaris Hostia
    Pange Lingua Gloriosi -- and therefore Tantum Ergo
    Parce Domine
    Rorate Caeli Desuper
    Salve Regina
    Stabat Mater Dolorosa
    Te Deum Laudamus
    Veni Creator Spiritus
    Veni, Veni Emmanuel
    Victimae Paschali Laudes

Among "vernacular" hymns:

Faith of our Fathers
    Lead Kindly Light
    The Strife is O'er, the Battle Done

And, just for good measure, the text of this recently discovered hymn needs the consideration of the forum:

"A Crooked Bowtie round his neck
    And youth beyond his years?
    Anonymous? but, what the heck
    Ben Yanke gets three cheers!"

Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • francis
    hymnody is not NEEDED for the liturgy.
  • ronkrisman
    hymnody is not NEEDED for the liturgy

Nor, if one is being technical, are proper antiphons, the Sanctus, the sign of the cross, the Gloria, standing for the proclamation of the Gospel, altar servers (of either gender), and a host of other elements of rite.
  • ronkrisman
    Non Nobis Domine

Why single out this one psalm at the expense of the others? Or - are you perhaps arguing for the Patrick Doyle setting?
  • Fr Krisman,

I had just written Te Deum, and, being inspired by Shakespeare, I logically followed it with Non Nobis. After I had completed the list, I alphabetized it.

That said, I take your point: let's include more psalms, sung Recto Tono if necessary, so we can sing the Divine Office.

Francis,

Quite right, but do you realize that your opinion (i.e., what Catholics would have all taken for granted not so many years ago) is considered beyond the pale anymore? (I say this as one who generally agrees with most of what you post.)
  • francis
    It is not with what "is considered beyond the pale anymore" that matters or is the truth. One pig went dashing off the cliff; the rest followed him to their demise. Who was wrong... the leader or all of them?

The leader was inflicted with a demon and deserved his demise. The rest of the herd simply followed the idiot and met their own UNECESSARY demise. I refuse to follow a demonic pig, or join the herd that also decides to do so.
  • francis
    Nor, if one is being technical, are proper antiphons, the Sanctus, the sign of the cross, the Gloria, standing for the proclamation of the Gospel, altar servers (of either gender), and a host of other elements of rite.

Some of the above mentioned are indespensible from the Mass, some are not. Hymns are despensible.
  • ronkrisman
    In the discussion Kathy began ("The best of the hymnal") I offered the opinion that choosing hymn texts would be a far more difficult task than choosing tunes. If one holds to the position that some of these core texts should only be in Latin, most Catholics in the USA at the present time will probably opt out from using them (simply because they're not using them right now). If the texts have to preserve the original "thee's" and "thou's," "descendeth" and "dost," count me and many (or most?) Catholics in the USA as not interested.

So, at this moment in the life of the Church in the USA, is it foolhardy to think that a consensus can be achieved even around 25 to 50 texts which would form a "core hymnody"? I wonder.
  • Not wishing to gainsay the proposition that Gavin has put forth with an undoubted spirit of helpfulness and sincerity, I wonder why we would think that a mere twenty-five or so hymns would be sufficient for a parish which has a continuously developing music program. I can use up twenty-five hymns in several months if I am studiously matching three or four of them to a given Sunday's lectionary. Yes, there may be several dozen hymns which a congregation should master in the first several years of its existence, but these will hardly suffice for an evolving repertory which needs, ultimately, to illustrate the lectionary for every Sunday and solemnity (and, I would insert here that every last one of our Catholic hymnals is woefully short on hymns for all the solemnities and days of obligation throughout the year). Even 'general praise' hymns such as Lobe den Herren, almachtigen can only be sung no more than three or four times a year (if that many) without being ruinously tedious. And, tunes? They begin to be vexingly tiring when shot-gun wedded to too many texts. This goes beyond the false propers versus hymns argument. Where propers can be the 'proper' choral music for the mass, they should by all means be used - exclusively, or together with hymns and anthems. Where propers are not at this time a realistic option, one's goal is to teach one's people sufficient hymnody to be 'proper' to every celebration. That means three or four 'proper' hymns per Sunday, some of which may or may not be repeated a few times a year.

So, I hope that Gavin's suggestion is meant as one for a beginning repertory for a new parish; not the evolving repertory of an established one. If hymns are going to be used (and they absolutely are not about to go away), then they need to be 'proper'. To think that a few dozen are sufficient for a mature congregation is tantamount to suggesting that we only need thirty or so selections from the propers to get us through a year. Not a serious goal. Unthinkable.
  • donr
    Well there has been a lot of talk on the forums about build your own hymnals so maybe it was a question based on that.

There has been a lot of discussion on this thread about why we shouldn't answer this thread.

Don't you think we should just provide our 25 - 30 hymns that we feel should be in a hymnal, everyone would provide their favorite suggestions, an obvious majority would come out of it and a common core hymnal will be born.

I don't see the issue. Let all just provide our lists.
  • GavinGavin
    I think that we can descriptively say there are some hymns which "everyone knows". You can pull them out and everyone will sing them on a given Sunday in nearly every parish. "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" is one.

Others here have spoken prescriptively about a repertoire of hymns which OUGHT to be known by everyone. That is to say, I don't think that every congregation knows "Christus Vincit", but let's say that they all should.

Whatever way you look at it, this is a "core" hymnody, something in common among all parishes singing hymns. And yes, Jackson is right that this is ONLY a start - a parish repertoire should number in the hundreds, and should vary according to the sensibilities of each parish. But the core should be drawn from liberally, both to provide hospitality for visitors and to reinforce the congregation's voice.

Don't you think we should just provide our 25 - 30 hymns that we feel should be in a hymnal, everyone would provide their favorite suggestions

NO. This is exactly what I DON'T think we should do! We have enough threads for this. They always devolve into "this is my favorite hymn! It's the best!" Which is fun, but not productive. What I am calling us to do is examine how we think about hymns. What do we need in a repertoire? What sort of repertoire should we have in common? Not what are the hymns, but what kinds of hymns do we want, how many, etc.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    What I am calling us to do is examine how we think about hymns. What do we need in a repertoire? What sort of repertoire should we have in common? Not what are the hymns, but what kinds of hymns do we want

Preface to response- for the first time in decades my wife convinced me to take a "busman's holiday" and go to the other "big gun" new parish of our our four to scope out the lay of the land and its liturgy; one Spanish Mass, one English. While there this thought occured to me, which I put in addition to my mention of the jurisdiction of the bishops:
    Who is meant when "we" are invoked? That has to be part of Gavin's equation, agreed upon by him or not. And of course, of the various cans o' worms his questions open, that question of "we" is maybe the mother of all worm cans. Or Pandora's Box.

• hartleymartin
    I've seen hymns that had anywhere from 50 to 700 hymns in them. The real problem is that they are generally compiled to try and get the largest possible number of churches to use them, and so they try to cover all styles and tastes.

The biggest problem I have found with many hymnals is that they often printed as words only. There really should be a melody line published with them! Do not underestimate how much a congregation will learn intuitively if they have a melody line in front of them. For many people, this might be the only music education they ever get!

The other major problem is that the hymns are not sorted according to liturgical season/use. Sure, you can find them in the index, but chances are that on Trinity Sunday, you're going to sing the Trinity hymns and maybe a more general eucharistic hymn, so it would be much more convenient if all these hymns were just a page or two away from each other.
  • CharlesW
    I looked through our hymnal for something suitable for St. Peter & Paul. There was one hymn that was not familiar. When I look for something for a specific occasion, I generally find hymns that are either obscure, or nearly pagan Marty Haugen odes to God in the trees, rocks, shrubs, etc. I realize a hymnal that covered every event would be so large as to be unwieldy, but surely there could be reasonable collections of hymns of higher quality rather than quantity.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • hartleymartin
    Adoremus Hymnal was not a bad attempt at a new traditional hymn book, but I felt that the hymn selection was a bit limited - probably because most of them were public domain hymns.

Sometimes there are certain benefits to using the projector for hymns - at least then you can pick and choose from any hymnal and even restore the traditional words to many modernised hymns.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Sometimes there are certain benefits to using the projector for hymns - at least then you can pick and choose from any hymnal and even restore the traditional words to many modernised hymns.

Weekly printed booklets accomplish the same thing with less tackiness and capital investment.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Martin, frankly I thought Adoremus I hymn selection was dreadful.
    Adam- everything's relative when it comes to media delivery. Out here we've exhaustively examined every possible method and combination (only one of four churches is video equipped, hardly used.) The paper solution would save us thousands per year from OCP subscription, but would severely encumber an already heavily tasked administrative staff.
    So, as you know, we're headed your and Adam B.'s way ASAP for at least one resource.
    But, in certain situations, the screen can be done artfully, if only by projecting the actual page of chant or hymn, not just text.
    In my little twenty minute visit to the mega Assembly of God church yesterday (I stayed in their "narthex" which was also equipped with state of the art electronics) their use of video so works against there being an objective to worship, the projected words are hardly the problem. The narcissism is quite another issue....
  • Carl DCarl D
    After using video projection for a couple of years, Melo, I was surprised to find that you CAN'T just put up a page from a hymnal or sheet music. It's unreadable from 50 feet away. Designing music for video projection is as much an art as designing it for a book. And most tools seem to be optimized for book/paper and NOT video.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I don't really have a problem with projection screens IN THEORY, but yes - you have to design your slides well, and figure out how to place your screens in such a way that they are as minimally tacky as possible.

Alas, I have only witnessed then done ONE SINGLE TIME, and I was the one who put together the projection slides.