Prayers for Patricia Giffen
  • Kathy
    Chuck Giffen, to whom we all owe so much both for his many interventions and compositions posted here, and for his managership of CPDL, and for his leadership in early music ensembles, writes to ask for our prayers:
    Will you all please pray for my wife Patricia and her doctors? Patty has a renal cell carcinoma and so is having either part of or all of her right kidney removed one week from today (the day following our 10th anniversary) at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. We've been dealing with this situation for several weeks now, and she still has yet to have a procedure performed (probably ablation) for an adrenal adenoma that was also discovered. Patty has appreciated that I (re)composed my "O taste and see"/"Gustate et videte" in her honor for Mother's Day, although it has taken some time to prepare and post the new scores (I just posted the "Gustate" revision last night).
    Hail Mary...
  • Ignoto
    We appreciate all you have done, Chuck. Prayers for your wife, you, and all those involved.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Wendy and I send our intentions on high for your wife, you and your family, Chuck.
    God bless you all.
    Charlie
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Many prayers!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Many prayers.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    Prayers for you and your wife. May God bless you, and Our Lady comfort you.

Henry.
  • Jani
    Count on mine.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • expeditus1
    Chuck, it is my hope that the combined prayers of those on this forum might help in some way to ease the burdens that your wife and you and your family are currently carrying, and that the doctors will receive inspiration from On High as they direct Patricia's medical care.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • WendiWendi
    Yes. We'll pray. For both of them. Please keep us posted.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Praying!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    praying for her and you
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • All of our deepest prayers for you and your family Chuck! May God always be with you all in these uncertain times, but with the certainty of His comfort and love!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • donr
    Mine and My family prayer to you and your beloved. I will add her to our parish prayer chain.

St. Peregrine ... Pray for her.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • MarkThompson
    Prayers said!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Many prayers.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • canadashcanadash
    Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
    that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection,
    implored your help or sought your intercession,
    was left unaided.
    Inspired with this confidence,
    I fly to you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother;
    to you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful.

O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
    despise not my petitions,
    but in your mercy hear and answer me.

Amen.
  • Heath
    Praying!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Praying, Chuck, and for you as well.
    You've often fondly referenced your family. So here's also wishing you many blessings on Father's Day.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • PhatFlute
    Prayers here,
    Ph
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • TeresaH
    You have my prayers.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Thanks to each and every one of you wonderful people. On this evening before her surgery, Patty especially and I, too, are most grateful for your prayers and good wishes. You people are the best!!

I'll give a post-op update before long.

Chuck Giffen
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Still praying, Mary's grace on you both.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Update: Patty's surgery was this afternoon and seemed to take quite awhile, but a lot of that was anesthesia startup, then the procedure, then stitching her up, and finally recovery. Good news. though, is that the surgeon said that although the tumor is malignant, there was no sign of it spreading into surrounding kidney tissue and, with a well defined margin, he was able to take the tumor out and was able to spare maybe 90% of Patty's kidney. Patty is still quite groggy and in a lot of pain, as expected, but she should improve a lot already by tomorrow.

Many thanks for all your prayers. It will take quite some time for recuperation, and there is the issue of her adrenal adenoma which will be addressed in the next few months, but at least she is very much better than she was before.

P.S. These past few days, as Patty's surgery approached, I was able to arrange a 4-part setting of Rorate caeli de super, the Introit for Advent IV, derived from and put together from my older "Let the clouds rain down" which was based on the old Lectionary text (which is all that I really knew about in the old days). Inspiration comes when one least expects it, and this is one time when I am more than thankful for it.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    You, my name's sake, are quite the complete man. May I live by your example if so tried.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • jefe
    Indeed good news, Chuck. Here's wishing Patty a you a fine recovery. Yes, "Let the clouds rain down the just one." Jerusalem is a desert. I'm very partial to Rorate caeli de super penned by Peter Hallock. One of THE most mystical of all his compositions. In manus tuas, Domine, commendo spiritum meum.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    One more update. Patty was released yesterday afternoon from the Mayo Clinic, and we are now back at home in Hudson where she will continue her recuperation. The care and support of the staff at St. Mary's Hospital/Campus were amazing and had a lot to do with Patty being able to get back home so soon. So, too, the prayers and wishes of everyone here have made a huge difference in Patty's recovery. Both of us thank you, from the bottom of our hearts.
  • Chuck, I am so glad to hear that all is well. May God continue to bless you both with good health, peace, joy and love!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Good news is always a blessing to hear. Thanks be to God!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • G
    Good to hear, prayers continuing.

(Save the Liturgy, save the World)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Deo Gratias!!!! We'll keep on praying for a full recovery!!

R
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • donr
    We are still working hard at prayer over here. God Bless and continued Angelic support.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    This is blessed news. I'm still praying, too.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • expeditus1
    Charles, our prayers will be offered for the continued healing of Patricia.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen