Deanery wide choir suggestions for Christmas (Advent)
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Hey, all, I was wondering if you guys had any good suggestions for repertoire for a deanery wide choir concert during Advent. I already know about the Saint Saens Oratorio de Noel and I'm seriously considering that one. The Bach Christmas Oratorio is above the level of our abilities. I'm looking to do about a 30-45 minute choral concert, and a single oratorio or cantata would fill this time slot. It doesn't have to be an oratorio or cantata, but those are my examples. Is there anything SAB in this genre? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all in advance!
  • In Nativitatem Domini Nostri Jesu Christi Canticum of Marc Antoine Charpentier. It has a fair amount of solo work, which you can farm out to soloists, requires a chamber group, and is lots of fun to sing.

• It's not super-easy, but not very difficult is Kodaly's Veni, veni, Emmanuel. That's SAB.
  • Another vote for the Charpentier that Chris mentioned.

You might also want to consider Run, Ye Shepherds, to the Light by Michael Haydn. A very delightful short cantata with optional strings.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    The Rune of Hospitality-Alf Houkam
    There is no rose- Gary Garcia
    Anything by Stephan Paulus
    A Stable Lamp is Lighted-David Conte
    "Encore piece"- Children Go Where I Send Thee- arr. Mark Hayes
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    The temptation to do a concert of Christmas mmusic in Advent is great, but is it really appropriate when we are assailed everywhere by Christmas music during Advent?

One possibility would be to frame the concert in the form of a service of Advent Lessons & Carols, which has some Advent/Christmas carols but features suitable Advent anthems and motets for the most part.

As for a concert with a major work, while I'm not sure of your resources, a better fit for the season might be Bach's beautiful chorale cantata "Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme" BWV 140, which is often sung during Advent. The most difficult choral movement is the first, but it is not really that hard at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4spRXaXDcA4

Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Chuck, I might add Hugo Distler's homage to C140 as a companion piece. I loved it back in the day.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    MeloCharlie ... while the text is from Christina Rossetti, and hence is very appropriate for Advent use, "This Advent Moon" also pays homage to BWV 140 as well as to the imagery of the cantata's text. The attached MP3 is a recording made in a European performance from a year and a half ago. It might also be a good companion piece in an Advent concert.