How did /you/ recruit for your Schola?
  • We have a new Schola Cantorum in town, and was wondering how did you all recruit members interested in joining Schola Cantorum to learn and sing chant? I've started by having a blurb in the weekly bulletin, but I'm not sure if that's the best way...

¡Muchas Gracias! and Happy Sunday!
  • canadashcanadash
    Do you have a homeschooling community in your area? I would contact them and let them know you are beginning a schola. God bless you in this effort!
    Thanked by 1Continuousbass
  • Carl DCarl D
    To that, you must add personal face to face invitations: "I'd really appreciate YOUR contribution." I also held a two-hour open workshop - no obligation, no pressure - and got several people that way.
  • RMSawicki
    Mostly I have used personal invitations, but I've also advertised in our archdiocesan newspaper.

Additionally, during one six-month period, one rehearsal per month would be announced as including an "open floor" for auditions.

Gaudete in Domino Semper!
  • I'm hoping to get lots of beginners as I know a few experts in my area. I thought about the diocese newspaper to, almost everyone gets it here.
  • Simon
    We try to gain new recruits by offering a course in learning how to sing Gregorian chant. The course is taught by our choir director who also teaches chant at the music conservatory in The Hague. 8-10 evenings of lessons on Wednesdays in the fall, each lesson about an hour and a half. Those with a decent voice are invited to join our men's or women's schola.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • bonniebede
    Currently recruiting 6-9 year olds for parish schola and Eucharistic adoration group. I have just tried something new - offering a 'scholarship'. The amount of the scholarship was calculated based on what it would cost if we the teachers weren't giving our time for free- in other words making it comparable to what they would pay for music lessons at a commercial music school. I felt this would help parents assess what they were being offered not as just some parish club, but as a serious musical endeavour.
    It has had a good response so far, 'auditioning' 4 new schola members tomorrow, will be happy to offer them all a scholarship. The audition process helps me to talk to parents to make sure they understand what they are getting into, as up till now the schola members have been from very devout families, so I've had a lot of understanding for the project from the current crop of parents.