Office of the Mysteries of the Way of the Cross?
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    The Graduale Romano-Seraphicum has a a proper Mass for Mysteriorum Viae Crucis D.N.I.C for the first Friday of March. Does anyone know if there is a corresponding Office, and if so does anyone have music for it? Is it in the Antiphonale Romano-Seraphicum? Are there English translations? Thanks, all.
  • joerg
    Here's a scan of the relevant pages of the Antiphonale R-S.
    Thank you, thank you!!
  • rarty
    Since joerg kindly posted the chants, here at least is the text of this Mass with a translation, and the proper office text.

This feast seems to have been omitted from most Franciscan calendars by 1962, but originates from the votive Masses said by the Holy Land Franciscans at the chapels at the Stations in Jerusalem. In fact, it seems the feast is still kept there, in a modified form: In Commemoratione Viae Crucis (This handout is for a service that joined Vespers into the Mass).

--Edited to add attachments--
    Excellent!
    Seems like none of those Vespers antiphons are in the pre-Conciliar version. Does anyone know of music for those?

Ant. 1 - Convenérunt enim vere in civitáte ista / advérsus sanctum púerum tuum Iesum, quem unxísti, / Heródes et Póntius Pilátus cum géntibus et pópulis Ísrael.

Ant. 2 - Muliéres plangébant et lamentabant Iesum. / Convérsus ad illas Iesus dixit: / “Fíliæ Ierúsalem, nolíte flere super me, / sed super vos ipsas flete
    et super fílios vestros.

Ant. 3 - music is provided

Ant. Magnificat - Afflíctus est et ipse subiécit se / et non apéruit os suum; / sicut agnus, qui ad occisiónem dúcitur,/ et quasi ovis,quæ coram tondéntibus se obmútuit /
    et non apéruit os suum.
  • rarty
    (Note that I edited my above post to include the referenced attachments.)

Those antiphons you cite might be found somewhere, but I can tell you they aren't in the old Antiphonale Romano-Seraphicum.

The revised Franciscan offices use very few existing antiphons, for some reason, so if they don't print music with them in their handout - I would suspect no music has been written yet. Even when the antiphons are "kept", the text is edited substantially, for example from 1st Vespers of St. Francis:

Ant. 1 (Trad.) - Franciscus vir catholicus et totus apostolicus, Ecclesiae teneri Fidem Romanae docuit, Presbyterosque monuit prae cunctis revereri.

Ant. 1 (1974) - Franciscus vir catholicus et totus apostolicus, missus est in praeparationem Evangelii pacis.

If you're looking for more music along the vein of this office (Via Crucis) there are several apt hymns sung by the Friars during their daily procession along the Via Dolorosa in Jerusalem. They are in the first section of the Basilica of the Holy Sepulcher Ordo Processionem hosted on this site.
    Is there music for Matins?
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • The OF Votive Mass for this feast, along with other Votive Masses for the Franciscan Custody of the Holy Land, can be found here.