How to help a priest begin singing?
  • chonakchonak
    This discussion was created from comments split from: Progressive Solemnity.
  • brndurham
    Strange question: If the First Degree is the priest chanting his parts of the Mass, what happens when you have a priest who can't carry a tune in a pyx, but the 2nd and 3rd Degrees of Solemnity?
  • BenBen
    Almost anyone can sing on a single pitch, and most could do it on a single pitch with the third drop at the end.
  • brndurham
    I've tried telling him that; I can't even get him to the sing the Per Ipsum like every other parish around us does.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • BenBen
    In that case, it's seeming that it's not a question of ability, but rather a question of desire to sing. Have you shown him muaicam sacram itself?
  • chonakchonak
    One of our colleagues told his bishop that it's fine to sing his part on one note. He said: "And you get to pick the note!"

brndurham's priest can start with one note, and keep it easy. One step at a time! :-)

Later on, if Father gets comfortable with the recto-tono, you could start practicing with him a little to develop his familiarity with intervals of a second or third, so that he could use simple formulas as in the Per Ipsum.

Living in an era of canned music and mass media has given us unrealistic ideas about how perfect singing should be. It has scared people off from ordinary singing because they hear so much singing that is recorded in studios, tuned electronically, and made perfect in an illusory way. That's not what we need: we need quite ordinary singing.
  • If a French king can do it, anybody can.
    It was none other than the knowing Josquin des Prez who, to please his monarch when he requested a song in which he could sing a part, wrote a part song in which one part consisted of one note sounded throughout whilst the other parts went their merry ways. The king was pleased that he got to participate. Recto tono is better by far than no tone. It is the beginning of song, which is better than mere speech. And, Chonak's suggestion of the gradual introduction of simple intervals after one's pastor has mastered one note is spot on. One note is less to be ashamed of than none.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • brndurham
    Well, I suppose the first idea would be this; convince the priest that the congregation is not going to laugh at him for singing and not sounding like a reborn Placido Domingo in a chasuble. This is the first barrier to get past. May have mixed results.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • chonakchonak
    It's a process of learning, practice, and *development*, so it's normal to start with less comfort, and then progress to having more comfort.

He can practice privately before singing in front of a congregation. I'd say, "Let me hear you practice. If you think it's going to be bad, let me hear how bad it is." And it'll be OK, so you can let him know it's OK.

He can start by singing these two lines at weekday Masses:
    "In the name of the Father and of the Son..." etc.
    "The Lord be with you" (as often as the line appears)

And that will be a good beginning.
  • brndurham
    I can try to work with him; however, I fear by the time I convince him, I'll be already out of seminary and singing it myself.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    Let's get serious.

Gather together some of his priest buddies, provide bratwurst and cold beer (to take the edge off and relax the inhibitions) and have them all - not just him - sing the responses together on one note.

Do it over and over until they sound as confident and precise as a _______ concert choir.

Have them sing their parts AND the congregational parts.

Then keep your mouth shut.

One day, out of the blue, he will surprise himself and sing them.

Seen it happen with a deacon. He was amazed. Hadn't planned it but it happened.

Plant the seed and stand back.

Doing it with you or the choir he'll be self conscious. Being expected to do it and he'll be self conscious.

Priests are much more concerned about looking foolish to other priests than the people in the church.