We're got a job opening that may not exist because we can't decide between liturgy and music.
  • noel jones, aagonoel jones, aago
    St. xxxxxxxx is a mid-size parish. We are also advertising a Director of Liturgy position; only one position will be filled. We are seeking a candidate with strong vocal skills and proficient keyboard skills on organ and piano. Responsibilities: providing organ/piano accompaniment weekend Masses, Holy Days of Obligation, funeral/wedding liturgies, and directing cantors. Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in music, or considerable experience as a Pastoral Musician; knowledge of Roman Catholic rites; an ability and willingness to collaborate with pastoral staff. This is a part-time position.
    [this is an actual, real, current job description.]
  • Andrew Motyka
    My guess is that they already have a director of music / liturgy, who would like to give up some of his / her responsibilities.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I don't know WHAT they have.

Well, I take it back - I DO know that they have some lay woman running the parish as the pseudo-"Pastor," with an older priest listed as the "assigned priest."
  • The posting for the Director of Liturgy says the same thing but it is listed as full-time.
    The former Music Director was also director of Liturgy and many other Parish activities and I guess they just wanted to keep their options open. I am not sure why they say only one will be filled if they are advertising two openings though.
  • CharlesW
    It's part time, you have to furnish your own supplies, dance on tables, do windows...all for next to nothing while putting up with an old bag who thinks she's a liturgist because she has a degree in pottery and Reiki. Where have I heard this stuff before? LOL.
    Thanked by 1BGP
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The job ad is strange... but the right person could probably make some impact there. Never let anyone dissuade you from applying for a job you think might be a good fit.
  • Caleferink
    I've seen these postings, too. It looks like to me that the big difference, and what makes the "Director of Liturgy" position full-time, is teaching in the school. I find the postings rather deceptive, if you ask me.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Job postings like this indicate to me two possible ideologies: 1. they don't know what they want; or 2. they know that they can't get what they want for what they want to pay.

It's exactly like schools that want someone with 10 years of experience, a Master's degree, Title I certification, at least 6 credits towards an administration license, and a double license in Special Education: the catch is that it's only .3 time and no benefits. For everything they ask for sometimes, you know you're going to be doing more work than what they're paying you for: sometimes I think that's the idea behind these things.

Sometimes, I think they have a "hire and forget" mentality when it comes to musicians (performers, directors, and teachers alike): they want to hire you and then just have everything come together without having to pay much attention (or money) to neither it nor yourself.
  • dad29
    There's another discussion on the board about using the term 'minister.'

Based on all the above comments, (and my agreement with them), ANY of us could be a 'minister of cynicism.'
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • John_eye
    The previous music director at this parish died a few months ago. The place has a small 1980's Austin, and a reputation for various folk groups. Local organists also know that several years ago the long-serving competent organist found out that she was being replaced when she read the job vacancy. Why would anyone want to work there?