That Dreaded Question From Vocal Noobs
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Many of you probably already know this about me, but I've really got no formal voice training. However, my desire is to be able to contribute my best possible sound and color to the parish choir and other choruses in which I sing. I have had great difficulty in producing a good color for my voice type. So the question is this: as a male, my range is solidly that of a baritone (g2-g4) but I do not produce the dark tone quality heard by many baritones. My tone is closer to that of a tenor, especially in the upper range, starting from about a3, but I clearly don't have the upper range to be a tenor (singing above the staff for too long is also not comfortable to me, although I've sung tenor in choirs before). How can I determine when I'm producing the correct ten for my voice and what will it feel like when I'm singing on true resonance? Also, what happens if my timbre conflicts with my range? Can any of you voice people help me out?
  • Everyone has a unique combination of timbre and range. One trick I picked up accompanying for a choral director was to give special annunciation not only the consonants, but the vowels; for instance, for each vowel sound you sing, imagine opening the mouth wider as if to say /Oh/ when singing. For the upper range, find the lower range of your falsetto voice, and practice increasing your strength in the normal voice on those notes. Take care not to scream, but control the air stream.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I sent you a PM.

My most important advice for those looking to improve their singing: get thee to a teacher! A qualified professional is the only one who will be able to solidly tell you whether or not your production is healthy. When your vocal production is healthy, your natural sound will come through clearly. Until then, it won't.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    How can I determine when I'm producing the correct ten for my voice and what will it feel like when I'm singing on true resonance? Also, what happens if my timbre conflicts with my range? Can any of you voice people help me out?

1) You can't. At least not easily. It would be best to work with a qualified teacher
    2) The two really aren't related. Caruso (the famous tenor) was known for his extended low range that allowed him to sing Bass arias; and there are many baritones with extended upper ranges who can sing tenor repertoire. Then there is the bari-tenor often found on Broadway.
    3) Difficult to do on a forum, but in a private lesson, I could .

It's possible that you really are a tenor who hasn't learned how to negotiate your upper range. It's also possible you are a baritone who hasn't learned proper resonance. Only working with a qualified teacher will tell.

(Irish Tenor comment appeared as I was writing mine.--Ditto)
  • PhatFlute
    I stared singing 5 year ago in a chorus. It didn't work for me until I did private lessons chorus is too distracting. Take lessons and you will find no trouble singing sorprano melodies or a tenor harmony. Tone gets good with lessons I think. ph