Which Colloquium Choir to Choose?
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    Since this is my first time, I must ask - how does one get into the different choirs of the Colloquium? Does one audition? Or is it a matter of picking and choosing? And is it normal to have the feeling of a kid in a candy shop upon seeing the choices of repretoire?
  • Carl DCarl D
    A totally normal experience, SIR. I recommend working on your bi-location between now and then. But ultimately it's just about picking where your interest and skill level leads you. Personally, I go for something that will be challenging, but not freak me out.

No auditions, unless they've changed something this year.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    This will be my first time as well and I had the same question, and felt the same way about the rep! I'm thinking about auditioning for the Indy Symphonic Choir at the end of the summer.
  • francis
    OK... I only went once, but my recommendation is to do a little of each if possible.
  • chonakchonak
    Two notes:

(1) If your duties require you to leave before the last Mass, which is on Sunday, choose a choir that does its major work on some other day of the colloquium.

(2) On the first evening, we take a rough count of volunteers for the various choirs, and if there's an imbalance in some voices, it could be helpful for people to switch from one group to another.

Occasionally there may be auditions within a choir for solo or small-group portions, depending on the work. If that's the case, the instructor for that choir will arrange that.
  • Are there still openings in the Midnight Choir?

I used to be a doctor, uh, uh, I was a brain surgeon.

Love this song, used to blast it from my MGB with the top down...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5dtpw7zEm0
  • melofluentmelofluent
    OK... I only went once, but my recommendation is to do a little of each if possible.

Wrong, wrong, wrong...sorry francis.
    Each schola and choir is assigned and directed with specific intent. That is why colloquium is not summer camp. Once you sign up for a Brouwers, Buchholz or Mahrt, unless you have a serious fundamental objection to methodology, it's almost covenantal to see it thru to the liturgy it's been assigned. That's what makes colloquium unique.
    Colloquium is no place for dilettantism or cafeteria sampling. YMMV
  • francis
    melo:

I think it is quite different when I went. At that time there were 47 of us in total including the staff, and I was personally invited as a guest by Fr. Skeris.
  • chonakchonak
    Were there multiple choirs then? My first year (2007), there were 125 attendees and one (1) big choir under the able direction of Dr. Buchholz.
  • francis
    its been 10 years, but i think there was a schola cantorum and an satb chorus, maybe about 20 in each.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, later things developed into a program with everyone participating in both a chant choir and an SATB choir, so if you dabbled in both in your year, you were just ahead of the curve.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    2007 mine as well, RC, and there was an auditioned chamber choir led by Turk in addition to the large choir under Horst.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    We have some documents that will help you in choosing choirs at the Colloquium...
    Polyphonic Repertoire LIst and Chant Course Descriptions
    There is usually a bit of movement between choirs on Tuesday, particularly to balance sections. However, there are no auditions for any choirs, so it is completely up to you what you would like to sing and with which conductor...

Keep watching the MS Colloquium page; we'll have the Music Packet posted there before the event. You can look over the music and pick out your polyphony choir in advance... (and have your music memorized before you get there... just kidding).

My first year to attend was 2007, also... quite a few of us on here.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    In the past, I understand that there were sessions for new compositions by participants, and last year it seems to have morphed into a competition for compositions on a fixed text. On the materials currently at the MS Colloquium page, I don't see any mention of sessions for composers at all. Has this been dropped?
    Unfortunately, this won't be taking place this year... we had planned to have the same type of format as last year, but due to circumstances beyond the control of your three erstwhile planners (me, Mary Jane Ballou and Mary Weaver), we couldn't get it going in time for composers to have a reasonable amount of time to work with the text... next time... next time...
  • francis
    we had a sight reading of comps and then comments. that was very cool and IMHO ALWAYS should be part of the colloquium.
    If we promise to have it next year, will you promise to attend??? :)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I think the best format was 2012, SLC, where each day composers would, under David Hughes' graceful guidance, debut their works. Peter K's offerings that year were quite noted among others.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I haven't been able to attend, but from what I heard, I was impressed by the 2012 SMC format as described by Melo. Even though I was saddened by not being able to attend last year, I had mixed feelings about the "composer competition of a prescribed text" format.

Frankly, I was not prepared to drop other projects and work on a composing a piece "to order" and under a deadline on a text that I had not seriously considered anytime in the recent past, so (in retrospect) it is a good thing that circumstances prevented me from attending last year. I'm not sure if feeling uninspired to try to compose something for the given text would have tipped the scales against my attending ... but it might be the deal breaker for some composers who might otherwise attend.

It seems to me that SLC might better serve its MS composer participants by providing the interested composer with an opportunity to debut and showcase the finest work(s) that composer has to offer ... whether a hymn, a motet, an antiphon, a psalm setting, an anthem, a mass setting, or any other liturgical (not necessarily Mass-oriented, pun unintended) or sacred piece of choral music.

If a competition on a given text or (for that matter) in a given genre/form is something still to be desired (and I can see that it might well be), then it could just as well be organized and run separately from but in parallel with the free form model in which composers bring any new works for a read-through and commentary.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • chonakchonak
    The older format for a new composers session (used in the first SLC colloquium) worked well: one informal session with brief practice and sight-reading, and since the works were on differing texts, there wasn't any atmosphere of comparison.
    Thanked by 3canadash CHGiffen G
  • Kathy
    I didn't attend the competitive format, but I agree with others that the original format worked well.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • canadashcanadash
    I don't think it matters which choir you choose. There seemed to be a lot of flexibility when I attended. The first day I met a woman and we became fast friends (it seemed to happen often over the course of a couple of days) and she encouraged me to attend the senior women's Gregorian Schola. I had next to no experience singing Chant (though I have a degree in music, so I'm a decent sight reader) and though the learning curve was really high, I took the position of "follower" and learned more in one week than I have ever learned about Chant.

There was a group I joined, which on the first day I realized was not going to be of benefit, so I moved to another.

If this is your first Colloquium you will get a vast amount of information regardless of what you choose. What I recommend is not to be shy and quickly introduce yourself to people and find acquaintances who can help you along.
    I would be curious to know how the composers who participated last year felt about the format. I must say I was very impressed by the composition we sang at Sunday Mass by Michael DeSaye.

The whole idea is to make it beneficial to composers, so if the new format isn't as helpful, it is good to know that in advance before next's year format is planned...
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I agree with Chuck's concerns about the "one text, many version" format. That mode has an element in common with the "y'all just bring copies and ever'one sings em once" format as well- it overemphasizes the popularity, or beauty pageant (in the not so beautiful sense) aspect of a one time judgment.
    The thing about the 2012 daily format is that dedicated composers had to make that time alotment decision and commitment every day to have other fellow composers' input, consensus, constructive (always) criticism, and affirmation for the merits of their efforts. It worked for, IMO, all the various accomplishment levels of folks present including those like me who didn't bring anything of my own to be deliberated.
    It's always a daunting challenge to know whether a Koerber, a Quick, a Nickel, a Morber, an Olbash will be there any given year along with Kwasniewski, and whether the group will have a competent SATB capability, but the compositions are given a deeper exam. And it may be a bit impolitic, but there have also been past years when the sight reading abilities of the plenum membership reading new comps one after another really lowered the bar of expectation for more refined offerings. Sorry to say.
    I didn't attend the 2012 composer seminars... can you tell me about how many people attended it? And did folks generally like it better than the other two methods? (a - big one session sight-singing thing and b - text provided and one selection sung at final Mass)

Logistically, it is difficult to copy music in time for the big mass singing thing that was done in prior years... plus, it is difficult to sight sing so much in a short 1 hour (or so) session.

It sounds like the 2012 format may have been the easiest in implementation of all.

Did any composers prefer last year's (2013) format? (I'm loving this feedback).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    I didn't attend the composers' forum in '12, but I did last year.

One thing I found interesting was that even though we all set the same text, there were many different interpretations of that text, and it was fun to see that individuality; it was also wonderful working with the folks there, and it was a supreme privilege to have my work critiqued by no less than Frank LaRocca, himself, as well as Wilko Brouwers, Horst Bucholz, and David Hughes (who were the judges) and to sing and critique the works of my colleagues. And any crits were presented very, very positively, and geared towards the levels of the composers.

I do have to say that I enjoyed Michael DeSayes work very much, and it was very rewarding singing/hearing it in the Cathedral, especially the hocket towards the end.

However, it was enjoyable in '12 to read through the works of everyone; granted it was rough - but at least they could be heard in more or less full SATB, unlike in the forum where we (in 2013) had no altos, but a few courageous Tenor 1s who were willing to squeak some alto parts!

I can only imagine that in 2012 the atmosphere at the Composers' Forum was just as congenial and gracious -- it had to be, Melo was there!

One thing that I could say, imagining what it was like in 2012, was that the freedom to bring any piece that one was working on, say, that one had questions about or a sticky place where one didn't really know what to do next, was missing. In 2013 most (actually I think all) of us brought basically finished works, and it was more or less a matter of polishing and tweakoneering ( (c) 2013 Adam Wood - I've been waiting for a chance to use it again).
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is the description of the Composer's Forum sessions at SMC XXII (emphasis mine):
    Composers’ Forum: The composers’ forum meets each day. Composers should plan to bring a work in progress, which will be critiqued and discussed by the instructor and class, with the goal of producing polished pieces by the end of the week. Composers should bring manuscript paper or a laptop with music-notation software so they can make revisions and edits to the works in progress during the week. Composers planning to participate in the forum are asked to e-mail newmusic@musicasacra.com. Finished works will be read by Colloquium attendees at the New Music Reading Session on Saturday afternoon.
  • Carl DCarl D
    For those of you pondering which schola and choir to pick at the Colloquium... You may be interested to listen to some of the recordings on the audio archive and get a sense of the difficulty level and style of music. You can also get to the music score PDFs on each of those pages, so you can read through past books while you're listening.

It might help.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Andrew Motyka
    Carl D, your link is broken.
    Carl's Site

Thanks CHGiffen... It seems that format was very well-received... I'm just wondering how (if the music wasn't finished until Friday afternoon) the copies were made in time for the Saturday afternoon reading session... (logistics, you know).
  • Carl DCarl D
    Oops, sorry about that, AM!
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I'm just wondering how (if the music wasn't finished until Friday afternoon) the copies were made in time for the Saturday afternoon reading session

Although I wasn't there, my guess is that someone arranged to print out scores for people to read from. It's not that I go around everywhere with my printer, but for the Colloquium, I think it would be worth it.
    Alright, here's what I'm doing:

Polyphonic Choir: Brouwers

Chant: Refresher

What is everybody else doing if you've made your choices?
  • Dauphin35
    Alright, here's what I'm doing:

Polyphonic Choir: Brouwers

Chant: Refresher

What is everybody else doing if you've made your choices?

Same for me. I've been longing to sing Grieg's Ave Maris Stella since I first heard it about a year ago. It's too good to pass up.

I only chant the propers on a monthly basis at our Latin Mass and my sight reading is pretty poor, so the refresher chant choir seems to make the most sense for me.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Horst and Turk.
    Turk and Horst.
    Both combos would make great restaurant/pub names.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Horst and Turk.
    Turk and Horst.
    Both combos would make great restaurant/pub names.
    Or law firms?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I would eat at a restaurant called Turk and Horst.

I couldn't eat at a restaurant called Horst and Turk.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
    I kinda asked the question so I'd know if I'd be working closely with any of you. Looks like just one so far.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    CK, it's physically impossible to work "closely" with me, for numerous reasons. ;-)
  • JennyJenny
    This year will be my first go at the advanced women's schola.

For polyphony, I'm going with Malinka.

• I haven't decided on the schola yet, but I think I'm going with Horst's polyphonic choir.

Mainly because I'm a chump for Victoria.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Andrew, next time just put the period after "chump." ;-) Especially as we'll be chumping together with Horst the Irascible.
  • TCJ
    I'll be doing the refresher chant and beginner polyphony since I don't get much opportunity to do any of that stuff anywhere else.
  • WendiWendi
    I'm sure Horst isn't irascible. Jenny I'm going to have a go at the women's schola as well.
    Thanked by 1Jenny
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Maybe it is a good thing (in a way) that I cannot make it to Colloquium this year ... I wouldn't know which Choir and Chant groups to join, because they all look so good on paper. I'll be there with each and every single one of you in spirit though. I'd send you all copies of my new Gustate et videte (or "O Taste and See" if you prefer English) and the Rorate Caeli just so you could sing something new, but you'll probably be much to busy for even more new music. Have fun, and my prayers are with all of you.
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    I can't decide between the Cardoso and the Victoria.

Just so everyone knows, I'll be the guy wearing the red carnation. Expect me to be bugging a lot of you with endless questions.
  • WendiWendi
    Endless questions are how you learn. Have at it. It will save me asking some of them. :)